Asking a 3rd time? CSISD School Board Approves A Third Attempt To...

52,853 Views | 523 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by George Costanza
Mister Shipwreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here we go again...

College Station ISD School Board Members Approve A Third Attempt To Pass Bond Issues To Improve Athletics Facilities

https://wtaw.com/college-station-isd-school-board-members-approve-a-third-attempt-to-pass-bond-issues-to-improve-athletics-facilities/
happyinBCS
it will probably be extremely low turnout.
I think it is ridiculous to not accept what the voters said the last two times.
tu ag
AG
3 times?
Take the hint. The voters said "no". Then they said "NO". Don't make them say "HELL NO!"
BCSWguru
taxpayer money hard at work here, lol.
SARATOGA
Same answer as before. Stop grouping things.

Yes for kids stuff. All the stuff the kids use and benefits them.

No for pressbox, and ticketbooth and all that yibber yabber. The media club/group class puts the games on Youtube live these days. There is a NIL App to watch games.

"Press" is dying. They don't need a box.
doubledog
PSA : These two trustees will be up for reelection this November to the CSISD school board.
Make a difference when you vote.

DARIN PAINE - Place 1

Position: Vice President
Originally Elected: 2021
Current Term: 1st
Term Expires: November 2024

BLAINE DECKER - Place 2

Position: Trustee
bloom
happyinBCS said:

it will probably be extremely low turnout.
I think it is ridiculous to not accept what the voters said the last two times.

They specifically WANT the low turnout. They are hoping no one except ISD employees votes. I am appalled that they are so blatantly attempting to avoid high voter turnout, and they should be ashamed. It makes me want to vote NO regardless of what they put on the ballot.
happyinBCS
I completely agree.
MsDoubleD81
AG
doubledog said:

PSA : These two trustees will be up for reelection this November to the CSISD school board.

DARIN PAINE - Place 1

BLAINE DECKER - Place 2

Look out. I think TexAgs got the lady in Place 7 voted out last year.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
She got herself voted out. Texags just helped make people aware of her shortcomings.
Rapier108
They will not give it up until one of two things happens.

The bonds get passed.

The voters decide it is time for new leadership on the school board.

Hopefully it is the latter.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
doubledog
College Station ISD board of trustees, What part of HELL NO, is not clear to you?
Expert Analysis
AG
Did they ever show a need to expand the stadium seating at either of the schools? Expanding seating then requires other upgrades like bathrooms that just increase the price?
Did they show how this bond differs from the previous one?
AGro99
I'm curious as to why folks are so adamantly in the "no way" category?
maroon barchetta
AGro99 said:

Tired of being taxed to build Taj Mahal facilities or upgrade existing facilities.

Everything in our lives has become more expensive in recent years. Asking us to fork out more money after being told "NO!!!" twice is just tone deaf.

But it does seem to be the way around these parts.
EBrazosAg
AG
There is really no penalty for a school board to keep repackaging a bond vote and asking again every election. They are counting on fatigue and getting the lucky mix to make it happen. Eventuallyā€¦.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
Maybe they should do away with football. It's pretty expensive to keep up the facilities. Focus on math and stuff.
State of Texas
Soā€¦what's your solution then? Do you even have one? Voting no doesn't make the issue go away. Have you personally seen the facilities at Consol that are in question or do you just drive by and take it at face value? There is nothing in the bond that makes any of what is presented as a "Taj Mahal".

I agree with you on one thing, hard-headedness is quite common for this area. Againā€¦what is your solution?

maroon barchetta said:

AGro99 said:

Tired of being taxed to build Taj Mahal facilities or upgrade existing facilities.

Everything in our lives has become more expensive in recent years. Asking us to fork out more money after being told "NO!!!" twice is just tone deaf.

aggiepaintrain
AG
maroon barchetta said:

AGro99 said:

Why are you and your buddies always comparing the Fire Stations and City Hall to the schools?
EBrazosAg
AG
Does the ISD have to pay for the election expenses if they are the only issue?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TAMU1990
AG
maroon barchetta said:

AGro99 said:

No Taj Mahal being presented. You should ask for a tour. The facilities are old, small, and in need of serious repair. The fieldhouse was originally built for a 3A/4A school. Consol is almost a 6A school. They will probably be there by the next realignment.

A 4A school has a population of 545-1314 students. Consol has 2176 students. 6A begins at 2275.
woodometer
AG
This superintendent was hired to get bond issues passed so no they arent going to give up
State of Texas
woodometer said:

This superintendent was hired to get bond issues passed so no they arent going to give up

Soā€¦againā€¦what is your solution? Keep what we have until it breaks? It was good for us when we were their ageā€¦do it like we have always done it. Sounds like typical Texas A&M thinking, too. But vote "no" so you and maroon can sleep better at night knowing you did your part.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Does the ISD have to pay for the election expenses if they are the only issue?
I think so.

BUT....I would expect there to be at least one runoff in county or state rep races that would keep that from happening.
Aggie
AG
maroon barchetta said:

AGro99 said:

Taj Mahal Facilties???
No they are just trying to make the necessary upgrades to make them adequate
Especially at Consol

Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
I think an open house of the facilities is in order. Give the voters who are skeptical of saying yes to the bond a chance to see the current state of the facilities. And imagine what they will be like in 10 more years without any renovations.

It's easy to say no without knowing all the facts. Look at the facts, then make an educated decision. Don't say no just to say no.
wasntme
MsDoubleD81 said:

doubledog said:

DARIN PAINE - Place 1

BLAINE DECKER - Place 2

Look out. I think TexAgs got the lady in Place 7 voted out last year.
You did that on your own Mrs. Nolan.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
I know baseball/softball has had a rough time to start the season. They've missed like 6 or 7 days of practice already just because of the rain. They could seriously use some turf fields.

That would also allow for the city of College Station to host more tournaments which would bring more money into the economy. Not sure on the tax rate on this one, but last time around, the tax rate still would've been 19 lower, had the bond passed. People are obviously free to disagree, but seems obvious that this should be a "yes".

Investing in the youth of our community + (expected) lower tax rate = good
State of Texas
Expert Analysis said:

Did they ever show a need to expand the stadium seating at either of the schools? Expanding seating then requires other upgrades like bathrooms that just increase the price?
Did they show how this bond differs from the previous one?

The home sides are full at every game. I'm not just saying that. I actually attend the games.
"Well there are open seats on the visitors sideā€¦" Sure. But in this day and time and College Station (and the small town mindset sometimes) is no different in that you are just asking for trouble when you have opposing fans sitting with the helicopter or entitled parents of our community (or smug TA posters). Based on some of the responses on TexAgs, a lot of posters don't need to be sitting with fans of an opposing team at an athletic event here in town.
Next.
Independence H-D
The failure in the last bond election was on the district. They did not do a good enough job explaining the NEED. It is truly a CRITICAL need. Please take the time to educate yourselves not only about the facilities. But, also about their usage. A huge portion of the student population utilizes those facilities. Not just athletes. Nobody is trying to build show palaces. I'm certain that the district will be happy to provide all the statistics and information in this go around which will allow the public to make an educated decision when it comes time for the vote. Again, this is truly a need for all students in our district.

Aside from the students who are directly affected, think about the fact that our school's facilities in their current state are not capable of hosting tournaments or competitions safely...

Our community misses out on the economic impact of multi-day tournaments which is significant.

My summer job after graduation was working on the crew putting up the bleachers at tiger Field. That was 1989. 1989. I'm 53 years old in that stadium is not been upgraded significantly since I graduated high school.

The NEED is there. These are not wants. This is for the safety and well-being of our children and a benefit to our entire community.
woodiewood
Has the cost or plan changed at all from what the voters turned down the last time? any trimming of costs?

I am all for improvement in the playing fields and expanding the capacity of the field house, but are there cost savings on the press boxes possible?

Why does CSH press box need repairing after just a few years of existance? Was there inadequate design or materials causing the need?
State of Texas
It's been said in here and documented that the pressbox at CSHS leaks when it rains. What costs needs to be cut for the pressbox? It's not even going to be as nice as the one at Merrill Green and even that one is average and not fancy. The pressbox at CSHS doesn't have any bells and whistles other than the luxury of having a bathroom and A/C. I seriously wonder what some of you think of as too much for an athletic facility. More reason to go visit it yourself.
Independence H-D
The issues with the press boxes fall under both design and mechanical. The sightlines in the coaches boxes are such that you cannot see the end zones. Media is confined essentially to a small closet space which is completely inadequate. It Is my understanding that there are water issues in one of the press boxes. There is also a handicap access issue at Consol as the elevator is sometimes functional. The stadium itself at tiger Field is a hazard to those who may have ambulatory issues. Handrails are inadequate and the surface can be very slippery.

Many of these conversations seem to focus on the football field. There are several serious health and safety issues in the field house and related facilities. The most important of these may be the fact that there is not near enough capacity for the trainers to examine and provide therapies for our athletes. People are being treated in hallways and taking ice baths contemporary spaces located outside the building.

I encourage people to take the time to educate themselves. I know the district is going to do a better job explaining the necessity.

Stupe
S
Anyone saying that the district is asking for a Taj Mahal type project is proving that they have no clue about what is being requested.

The district isn't trying to out build other districts or request opulent facilities. Consol is out of room and is in dire need of repairs and upgrades.

I don't even have kids at that school and I know that.
tu ag
AG
The supporters say:
-It is a need not a want.
-It is the district's fault for making a bad case.
-Oposition needs to come see facilities.
-If people only were educated about things they would vote for them.
-ad hominem against opposition because they don't agree.

The arguments are the same as last time. Bringing this to the ballot a 3rd time actually gets me more likely to vote no now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.