Asking a 3rd time? CSISD School Board Approves A Third Attempt To...

52,804 Views | 523 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by George Costanza
Mr.Short-termMemory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agaberto said:

lockett93 said:

Regardless of your position, I think it's stupid that 5,500 people decided this for the third time and that it wasn't lined up with the runoff elections.

Less than half as many voters than the election last Nov.

……

The voters who didn't vote made a choice not to. That's their right. Some voters just don't care enough about the issue to give their say. When people care enough about an issue, they make a point to go vote on it.

I'd put money there's fewer voters in this November's presidential election than there were in November 2020. Sometimes people just choose not to vote.

Would you have the same complaint if the vote went the other way?
agaberto
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

agaberto said:

lockett93 said:

Regardless of your position, I think it's stupid that 5,500 people decided this for the third time and that it wasn't lined up with the runoff elections.

……

The voters who didn't vote made a choice not to.

LOL
agaberto
bloom said:

happyinBCS said:

it will probably be extremely low turnout.
I think it is ridiculous to not accept what the voters said the last two times.

They specifically WANT the low turnout. They are hoping no one except ISD employees votes. I am appalled that they are so blatantly attempting to avoid high voter turnout, and they should be ashamed. It makes me want to vote NO regardless of what they put on the ballot.

It worked.
Stupe
S
Do you have any understanding at all about election dates and how they are set?
Stupe
S
agaberto said:

Mr.Short-termMemory said:

agaberto said:

lockett93 said:

……

The voters who didn't vote made a choice not to.

LOL
When someone can't argue with the accuracy of a point, that is the kind of reply that you get.
VStarr2024
AG
Would have been an A-yes; B-no voter here and was planning on voting on the day of assuming it was on a Tuesday like normal like all elections tend to be. I didn't check the dates like I should have and didn't realize the date issue until Friday afternoon. Got stuck with the kids while the wife was out of town and couldn't go vote. The state should nix the ability to hold a non-Tuesday election, as it comes across as sneaky.
JMac03
AG
Early voting was an option for 1.5 weeks.
trouble
AG
The state literally sets election dates. And I always take my kids with me to vote.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I was excited for this election to pass so this thread would do the same. But here we are.
cubbies25
AG
That's because you were taught so well in 8th grade U.S. History!!
EBrazosAg
AG
What's the over /under on when the next bond campaign will be for CSISD?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tailgate88
AG
Honestly, it will probably be awhile. All the needs have been addressed, anything additional at this point would be a want, and after the past couple years I doubt the district is going to propose anything for a while. Demographic projections do not show a need for any new schools for the foreseeable future.
KidDoc
AG
EBrazosAg said:

I would wager on 2 years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

Talk of a third high school at some point.
Tailgate88
AG
techno-ag said:

KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

Not for at least ten years per the districts' demographer. Especially since they just passed the bond to expand both of the current high schools.
techno-ag
AG
Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

Not for at least ten years per the districts' demographer. Especially since they just passed the bond to expand both of the current high schools.
There's your over under then. Ten years.
JaxDad
AG
There are already 3 high schools. Don't forget about College View.
JMac03
AG
I would bet it was a parent or business, not the city.
JMac03
AG
chrisfield said:

I was excited for this election to pass so this thread would do the same. But here we are.
It's the gift that keeps on giving!

(it keeps giving on NextDoor too)
Tailgate88
AG
Quote:

Statement from College Station ISD:

Registered voters in College Station Independent School District approved two bond propositions, totaling $53.47 million, on May 4, 2024. The school district drew a majority vote from the community, with the uncanvassed count for Proposition A at 3,129 votes cast FOR (56.87%) and 2,373 votes cast AGAINST (43.13%), and 3,106 votes FOR (56.52%) and 2,389 votes AGAINST (43.48%) Proposition B.

The propositions are for:
Renovations and additions to the existing A&M Consolidated HS field house;
Renovations to the existing athletic stadiums at A&M Consolidated HS and College Station HS, including resurfacing the tracks, expanding seating capacity, renovating and repairing the press boxes, adding restrooms and various site improvements;
Installing artificial turf and LED lights at high school baseball and softball fields; and
Site improvements to the softball stadium at A&M Consolidated HS.

"The College Station community remains committed to supporting all aspects of a well-rounded public education for their children and today, they showed their support at the polls," said Dr. Tim Harkrider, superintendent of schools. "I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to the members of the 2023 long-range facilities and bond planning committee for their valuable insight on how these projects will impact the future of our schools and community; and to district staff and community members who ensured the College Station community was informed before casting their vote. With the approval of these propositions, we are able to provide functional, safe and cost-effective spaces for our students to participate in co-curriculars and our community to continue to cheer them on."

The 2023 Bond package, which included the two propositions on the May 4 ballot, had an estimated two-cent increase to the current CSISD Interest and Sinking Tax Rate of $0.2630 per $100 valuation. The estimated increase from the 2023 Bond will remain stable for the 2024 Bond projects.

The amended 30-member long-range facilities and bond planning committee reconvened in January to evaluate and assess current and future needs of CSISD, while developing a recommendation that:

considers the educational and co-curricular needs of all students;
provides a solution for renovations and additions to existing facilities;
ensures support for a well-rounded education experience for all students;
reflects community values and perceptions of needs; and
is fiscally sound.

The committee presented its recommendation for a $53,470,000 bond package to the Board of Trustees and the Board unanimously called for a bond election during a special workshop meeting on Feb. 7.
lightswitch
And don't forget the real winners, the ones awarded the contracts. Bless their hearts. It's for the kids.
Cartographer
You people are insufferable.

The state sets the election dates, the school district sets the need, the people that vote in the period decide the election.

We live in a time of ridiculous government spending and excess but let's not pretend government spending is a new thing and that taking care of our community is a bad thing.

Move on folks. If you want to demand more accountability get in touch with the board of trustees or run for a position.
Gigem314
AG
Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

I feel like that all but guarantees it will be in less than 10 years.
CS78
Gigem314 said:

Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

Expect to see lines like- "unforeseen population growth"

Personally, I wish we would have just bit the bullet and built the third high school rather than spending money shoehorning kids into the current ones. Too many kids get lost in the shuffle of the mini college campuses of the big cities. Keeping school sizes down is a place worth spending the money.
Hornbeck
CS78 said:

Gigem314 said:

Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

Personally, I wish we would have just bit the bullet and built the third high school rather than spending money shoehorning kids into the current ones. Too many kids get lost in the shuffle of the mini college campuses of the big cities. Keeping school sizes down is a place worth spending the money.

"Unforeseen population growth" is BS as a reason to raise taxes, etc. That same population growth, and associated new homes that go with it, will increase tax revenue.
AgLA06
AG
Gigem314 said:

Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

Well, to be actually planned for it would have to be. Most likely 7 so they have time to get the funds in place, buy the land, construction documents and permits, and then build the school so they are open and staffed when needed.
AgLA06
AG
Hornbeck said:

CS78 said:

Gigem314 said:

Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

"Unforeseen population growth" is BS as a reason to raise taxes, etc. That same population growth, and associated new homes that go with it, will increase tax revenue.
I'd suggest researching what the increased taxes from new homes pays for. It's generally more applicable to maintaining than to adding the infrastructure needed to support it. And it's fiscally irresponsible to do anything other than to plan for growth that may or may not happen. Planning only decreases time needed for funds to be spend in reaction. It doesn't reduce them.
AgLA06
AG
lightswitch said:

And don't forget the real winners, the ones awarded the contracts. Bless their hearts. It's for the kids.
Unless you and the parents volunteer Habitat for Humanity style (good luck getting that insured or past inspection) it takes large construction companies to build schools.
Charpie
AG
CS78 said:

Gigem314 said:

Tailgate88 said:

techno-ag said:

KidDoc said:

EBrazosAg said:

Having seen this happen in my former ISD, it doesn't always work. I haven't commented on this thread but I have watched it. Round Rock ISD did something like this. Biochem can come correct me, but they tried to pass 3 different bonds 3 different times. The first round was to finish the improvements to the existing high schools, build a new high school, give the east side a state of the art theater complex and build a nanotorium for the isd. i want to say it was a billion dollars the first go round. It was very interesting to see the dynamics of the voting population. The west side of the district was against the bonds where the east side was all for it, mostly because they would be getting the most benefit out of it.

The district finally got the 3rd set of bonds passed in 2018. It included money to buy new computers, the nanotorium, and hiring an architect to start planning for high school #6 (which is already needed and will likely open as a 6a campus when you alleviate the overcrowding at Round Rock High, Westwood and McNeil. Those bonds were $500 million.

The one thing that was aggravating about the process was how the district had to come to the tax payers TWICE to cover the renovations at Westwood. That money was supposed to be supplied to the 2011 bond. But overages in other parts of that bond caused Westwood's improvements to be kicked to the curb.

Yeah I was all into this crap when I lived there. And now that I live in Bryan, it will be interesting to see what happens here.

I strongly suggest you all go to school board meetings and what have you so you can see how these entities function. It was insane to me to find out how the superintendent couldn't tell us how much money was in the bank when we asked.

This area is growing and is going to continue to grow. The very folks who are complaining about paying more in taxes are some of the same folks complaining on facebook wishing there was a Cheesecake Factory or a Trader Joe's here. Those places don't come to small towns. So do you want growth or not?
AgLA06
AG
To be fair, the CFO was the one he would have to ask if you wanted an accurate number on a bank statement. It can fluctuate greatly day by day or week by week for large entities. That's why they generally post a monthly report with all that information.

The superintendent doesn't need to know the number. Just what is committed, what is conservatively available, and the budget along with trends.

And this is coming from someone who manages a portfolio of companies. The number on the statement is irrelevant. It's knowing where you stand to make decisions that matters.

Now having said that, school administration is done incorrectly in my book. 99% of the pool are teachers with teachers and administration degrees and experience. Not business experience.

If I was building a school system today it would have a technology exec, a CFO, and Ops exec (facilities, security, construction), a teaching SME exec all reporting to a director with a business degree and experience. It's quite common to have principals without any knowledge of anything other than teaching, yet running a several million dollar budget and a staff of several hundred.

And we wonder why districts get taken over by the state.
Charpie
AG
AgLA06 said:

To be fair, the CFO was the one he would have to ask if you wanted an accurate number on a bank statement. It can fluctuate greatly day by day or week by week for large entities. That's why they generally post a monthly report with all that information.

The superintendent doesn't need to know the number. Just what is committed, what is conservatively available, and the budget along with trends.

And this is coming from someone who manages a portfolio of companies. The number on the statement is irrelevant. It's knowing where you stand to make decisions.
Totally get it. It was just funny at the time. I also remember him coming to us saying, "we are going to give all the teachers a raise." When we asked him if there was anything qualifying them for the raise, he said, "No. How would we do that?"

Thankfully that guy is gone
State of Texas
Charpie said:

This area is growing and is going to continue to grow. The very folks who are complaining about paying more in taxes are some of the same folks complaining on facebook wishing there was a Cheesecake Factory or a Trader Joe's here. Those places don't come to small towns. So do you want growth or not?
Preach.

That was essentially the same point I was trying to make a few pages ago. People wanted to talk about unnecessary spending for the district and complain, but don't bat an eye when it happens at the university level.
You can say it's apples to oranges, which it is because tax money is involved, but wasteful spending in my eyes is wasteful spending whether its done by a school board or by a university, and BOTH should be rightly held accountable.

Or the fact they want to have the largest football stadium in the state right here, but the town doesn't have the infrastructure or amount of hotels to support it. It's slowly getting better, but we aren't anywhere near where we need to be at yet. I do love being here, but we can all do better.
Tailgate88
AG
That's interesting - and thanks for sharing. One BILLION with a B - and we think we are dealing with big bucks.

For anyone interested in learning more about CSISD and how things work, and also having the opportunity to interact with the board and staff, I strongly recommend applying to Leadership CSISD. It's a great program:

https://www.csisd.org/about_csisd/leadership_csisd

Quote:

College Station ISD has made a commitment to remain transparent and engaged with our community. Leadership CSISD allows parents, community leaders and business partners the ability to get an "up-close and personal" look at how the district operates.
Leadership CSISD is a program that allows College Station community members to get a "behind the scenes" look at how College Station ISD operates. This program has been in place in College Station since 2013.

An Inside Look
Leadership CSISD is an opportunity for community members to get an inside look at the goals, operations and culture of College Station ISD. During the program, Leadership CSISD participants will have several opportunities to interactively explore first-hand how it all works and offer insightful feedback that supports CSISD's continuous improvement efforts.

Who Should Apply
Because we would like to be sure we are reaching our target audiences of community members, parents, and business owners, we ask that participants not be employees of the district or current Board of Trustee members. Additionally, we ask that our applicants be committed to attending all of the meetings if possible.

Making Connections
Meeting five times during the 2023 - 2024 school year, participants will get to know some of the people who are responsible for programs and services, and see how the district creates a climate of success for our diverse student population. Our 2024 Leadership CSISD class will also be able to build relationships with district leaders and others in our community during this experience.

Meeting Dates, Times and Locations
Attendance each month is not mandatory; however, to have a successful program we ask that participants attend all meetings if possible.

George Costanza
"That same population growth, and associated new homes that go with it, will increase tax revenue."

Hopefully at some point people will realize this isn't true for school districts. The state could care less about population growth funding local schools. If school districts have more than 2.5% property tax revenue growth that money leaves the local district and goes into the state coffers through "recapture."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.