Shel Winkley leaving KBTX

12,430 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Bad Poster
mason12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just announced that next Thursday will be his last day. He didn't say where he is going. Not leaving B/CS though.
TyHolden
AG
Man, I love Shel. I bag on him all the time but he's pretty good.
techno-ag
AG
Here.
halibut sinclair
On a related note, I saw a job listing online for KBTX Sports Director last week.

What's happening over there???
oklaunion
No more Shel on the Shelf.
EBrazosAg
AG
Working from home for Climate Central is my guess…
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
AG
halibut sinclair said:

On a related note, I saw a job listing online for KBTX Sports Director last week.

What's happening over there???

Resume sent
mason12
AG
https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GRA1017GRYT/JobBoard/ae441110-89bd-444d-8ad2-b76c7b9db7a9/?q=&o=distance&w=Bryan%2C+TX%2C+USA+(Brazos+County)&wc=-96.37041999999997%2C30.670980000000043&we=-96.54641999999996%2C30.846980000000045%7C-96.19441999999998%2C30.49498000000004&wpst=2

iisanaggie
mason12
AG
Max Crawford just announced as chief meteorologist.
oklaunion
I figured Max would be too chill to want that job. Congrats.
Pantera
AG
Max
mason12
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Working from home for Climate Central is my guess…

https://www.climatecentral.org/meteorologist-shel-winkley

Interesting that he had an article with them already.
EBrazosAg
AG
Yes. He's been on their payroll at some level and presenting at conferences for a year or two. Kinda a conflict when he doesn't disclose that when using their maps and all on his newscasts, but media conflict disclosure requirements aren't very strict I guess.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EBrazosAg
AG
And anything I've said about Climate Central is not to say he is not a dang good local meteorologist for a market like this. He works hard and takes his position and the department seriously. I think Max will as well and he's had a good role model.
FlyRod
Pillar of the BCS community, wishing him the best.
woodiewood
He does a good job of reporting the weather when he doesn't begin to preach his climate agenda. I will miss his "Double Nickels." the most.

"Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 800,000 years, there have been eight cycles of ice ages and warmer periods, with the end of the last ice age about 11,700 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era and of human civilization."

Fleen
oklaunion said:

I figured Max would be too chill to want that job. Congrats.
I have a Shel bobblehead on my shelf here in my classroom...
jeremy
AG
[Bypassing word filters to avoid asterisks is an automatic ban. -Staff]
Buford T. Justice
AG
Go find Roger Berry (sp?) and bring him back.
He needs to joust with the Aggie Dome one more time.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Jbob04
AG
Here is one of my main problems with shel. Climate shift index is a completely made up term created by his new employer climate central. Just because you come up with a scary phrase and put it on a graphic does not make it true.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I always laugh when the record high temperature was set on this day in 1905.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
doubledog
My advise for Shel is to always look at "climate data" from a skeptics perspective. Remember the culture of science is doubt. Exam the numbers, ask for estimated standard deviations and never ever "trust the science" or the "science is settled". No scientist will ever "trust" their own science and every scientist knows that the next discovery could disprove any "settled" science.

Good luck Shel/

oklaunion
Regarding record high temps, I understand consistency in locations of weather stations but having Easterwood airport as the official station has skewed those numbers. Asphalt and concrete has increased there along with the 2818 mega loop bordering it and the Brayton Fire Training facility just to the south. CS's official highs are consistently 3-4 degrees higher than Bryan's during the summer.
Stupe
S
He was great with his live updates when severe weather hit. I would follow him on Twitter during those updates.

I would then unfollow him when it would pass.

That's the pattern for most people that I know. That climate change baloney was just got tiresome.
I wish that he would have stayed away from it.

KBTX as a whole is heading left and that's why such a low percentage of its demographic area watches it.
ZoneClubber
AG
Shel is a great dude and very accessible. He provided me with some advice and forecasts that saved my butt one year with the TexAgs Big Shot. If we would have had it as originally scheduled, it would have been a total wash out. He'll be missed.
trackaggie76
AG
Maybe Orelon is available!!!
9dag
AG
It is time to put the chairs in the wagon
dogowner
It's sad that people can't help themselves but vomit their political stance in every single thread about everything, as if shel was the only source for you to get your weather from.

Great job while you were on our shelves, Shel.
FlyRod

It's sad that people can't help themselves but vomit their political stance in every single thread about everything, as if shel was the only source for you to get your weather from.

Quote:

Stupe
S

Quote:

That's how I felt when I was looking for local weather updates and saw political vomiting on those.

He was great when he just stuck to the facts during unusual weather and big storms.
dubi
AG
Stupe said:

KBTX as a whole is heading left and that's why such a low percentage of its demographic area watches it.

KBTX has fallen completely off the cliff to the left. I watch the Waco news to avoid them.
Sleepnumber
AG
If I watch evening news, it's Fox News Waco at 9.
EBrazosAg
AG
Waiting for the addendum to the century plants blooming nearly annually on Texas Ave as a result of climate change. Maybe a Century Plant Index. - CPI (2).

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/04/18/two-large-century-plants-spotted-towering-over-texas-avenue/
woodiewood
oklaunion said:

Regarding record high temps, I understand consistency in locations of weather stations but having Easterwood airport as the official station has skewed those numbers. Asphalt and concrete has increased there along with the 2818 mega loop bordering it and the Brayton Fire Training facility just to the south. CS's official highs are consistently 3-4 degrees higher than Bryan's during the summer.
Yep, location does make a difference. I live very close to campus and even my location is typically 2 degrees higher than that at the airport more than likely due to the millions of cubic feet of concrete and steel thermal mass on the main campus.

A major factor is due to over population, we are lowering the water tables in many locations in the U.S. That may be as important as any small affect of atmospheric changes caused by humans.

There appears to be a slight variation in temperatures over the past decade or so. Whether it is a natural occurance of the earth, as has occured millions of years, and is it significant is in question as is the affect of humankind on temperatures is very questionable.

Shel is a product of the generation of climate alarmists that have populated the teaching in our high schools and college campuses.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.