I'm not proud of this, but i need help finding cake.

2,536 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Zackdh9
Zackdh9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for a swell place to get a truckload of sugar, butter, and flour to the face.

My perfect place would sell a slice of cake or cupful of cake for under 5 bucks. Also it would have a handful of ingredients unlike typical grocery store options which have about 500.

I feel that nothing can really beat the homemade option, but, thanks to me, my wife has a raft of children and when our sugar craving hits at about 9PM, we are out of luck.
texAZtea
AG
So you want a small amount of cake for $5 but not from a grocery store?
Zackdh9
AG
Yes, something like this
halibut sinclair
HEB always has some nice looking individual slices of cake and pie in the deli area. Made in house.

How about a mini bundt cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes.
TyHolden
AG
just go hang out on the baseball game threads....
histag10
AG
I run Smashed Cakes www.facebook.com/smashedcakestx, but you won't find many $5 individual slices or cups that meet the legal requirements for cottage bakers. Your best bet will be a grocery store, restaurant, or weekend markets (some people will sell individual servings there).

A big part of this is the headache it causes cottage bakers to sell individual servings. It's harder to make our money, and then we have to deal with remitting sales tax (we don't on whole cakes/non ready to eat items).

If you follow enough of the cottage bakers on Facebook, you can catch most of us on the weekends doing flash sales with extra cupcakes and sad/ugly cakes (cake scraps in a pan/cup with frosting- still delicious).
histag10
AG
TyHolden said:

just go hang out on the baseball game threads....

True- but none of us sell individual portions.
Lonestarandi
AG
Something like this? Open until 10. Good Luck Good Time Tea House https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100045659123814

They have some great bakery offerings.
histag10
AG
That's honestly probably the best suggestion! She has amazingly good cakes and other baked goods, and she does sell by the slice

Don't know why I didn't think of it. I go there quite a bit.
13B
Have you considered Nothing Bundt Cakes?
FlyRod
Koala Bakery and Cafe. Great stuff.
Zackdh9
AG
Thanks for the info everyone. I do like nothing bundt cakes, but I'm trying to avoid seed oils. I'd hate to shorten my lifespan (no pun intended), I have a lot of cake to eat.

Here is an example of nothing bundt ingredients:

Strawberries & Cream

INGREDIENTS: WHITE CAKE MIX (SUGAR, ENRICHED BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], WHEAT STARCH, EMULSIFIERS [PROPYLENE GLYCOL, MONO AND DIESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN], SOYBEAN OIL, LEAVENING [SODIUM BICARBONATE, SODIUM ALUMINUM PYROPHOSPHATE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE], MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, DEXTROSE, WHEY, SALT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, XANTHAN GUM, GUAR GUM, TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, MONOGLYCERIDES, YELLOW 5 & 6), POWDERED SUGAR (SUGAR, CORNSTARCH), CREAM CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK AND CREAM, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, CAROB BEAN AND/OR XANTHAN AND/OR GUAR GUMS), EGGS (WHOLE EGG, EGG YOLK, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SALT, CELLULOSE GUM), WATER, BUTTER (CREAM, SALT), SOUR CREAM (CULTURED MILK, CREAM, WHEY, NONFAT DRY MILK, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, GUAR GUM, CARRAGEENAN, CALCIUM SULFATE, LOCUST BEAN GUM, NATURAL FLAVOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE [PRESERVATIVE]), WHITE CONFECTIONERS COATING (SUGAR, NONFAT MILK, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL [PALM KERNEL, SOYBEAN, AND PALM OIL], PALM KERNEL OIL, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: CORNSTARCH, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, SALT, SOY LECITHIN), CANOLA OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, STRAWBERRY FILLING (STRAWBERRIES, SUGAR, WATER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: NATURAL FLAVOR, CITRIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE AND SODIUM BENZOATE [PRESERVATIVES], SALT, AGAR, RED 40, YELLOW 5), VANILLA EXTRACT, PAN SPRAY (SOYBEAN OIL, SOY LECITHIN). CONTAINS: EGG, MILK, SOY, WHEAT.

histag10
AG
If you have dietary restrictions, try Kettlebelle
Zackdh9
AG
could not find any cakes by that name
Pantera
AG
You need to find, or start, a cake collective. A group of people who only want a single slice a day of cake. You could even start a mail order service. Think of all the possibilities.
histag10
AG
https://www.facebook.com/share/Rf7t6vNz6L3zpGZb/?mibextid=qi2Omg

She does gluten free, but I believe she also does other dietary restrictions.

I do some sugar free, but it's expensive and I only have a few clients I do it for.
Koko Chingo
AG

The owner is a pastry chef. The tiramisu is my favorite.

She will even make full cakes in request if you give her a day or two.

Not sure about the under $5 a slice. Those days may be long gone, especially for something made by hand.
texAZtea
AG
It takes 30 minutes to bake a cake. Then you can avoid or include whatever you want, and if you don't already know how, you get the added benefit of learning something new!
trouble
AG
FlyRod said:

Koala Bakery and Cafe. Great stuff.

So dang good
trouble
AG
I sell 4" mini pies for $5/each. I have several customers who order multiple then vacuum seal and freeze. They reheat really well in the oven.

They must be ordered in advance though. I don't just keep them on hand.
13B
Zackdh9 said:

Her bakery is on Carson near Bomber's Ball Park in Bryan. It shares a building with CrossFit Obey (her husband). Her stuff is yummy, you'd never know it was missing the usual stuff. 408 W Carson Street, Bryan, Texas 77801

Oops, I guess it is 410 Carson. Same exact building as 408 Carson. Just the front left corner as you face it.
Pantera
AG
https://www.facebook.com/kettlebellssweetsandtreats/

dunno if this is allowed but here is their facebook page
trouble
AG
You can always post someone else's business. We just can't post our own without buying an ad
Zackdh9
AG
Thanks all for the suggestions. +1 for 1541, their chocolate cake is amazing. I do wish they had more varieties though, if only a simple vanilla cake.
Zackdh9
AG
Kool, i'll go try kettlebell!
maroon barchetta
13B said:

Zackdh9 said:

Her bakery is on Carson near Bomber's Ball Park in Bryan. It shares a building with CrossFit Obey (her husband). Her stuff is yummy, you'd never know it was missing the usual stuff. 408 W Carson Street, Bryan, Texas 77801

Oops, I guess it is 410 Carson. Same exact building as 408 Carson. Just the front left corner as you face it.

Come eat desserts.

Then go next door and work them off.

Next up: a bar with an AA meeting space next door.
Zackdh9
AG
That's the idea I eat dessert every day, and still, i look as though donatello chiseled my body out of a great, sturdy, marble stone.
histag10
AG
Zackdh9 said:

That's the idea I eat dessert every day, and still, i look as though donatello chiseled my body out of a great, sturdy, marble stone.

Even Buddha has been chisled out of stone....
TXCityGirl
Zack - Blue Baker also makes their own bread and doesn't use preservatives or artificial ingredients. Their sweet breads (like a coffee cake) are really good.
Crawdaddy
AG
This is outside of town, obviously, but Truth BBQ in Brenham has the best cake I've ever tasted. And I've had a LOT of really good wedding cakes.
Zackdh9
AG
Good to know thank u. I love blue baker and I'm excited to try out truth.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.