CoCS exploring charging for street parking [Staff Warning 5/25/2024]

11,302 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by whoop1995
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dallasiteinsa02 said:

In the historic district, the signs that say historic district are dropped down on gameday to be no parking. I have watched the city go around and drop them with a tow truck right behind them. The minute they drop it, the tow truck tows the car. So you were parked legally and then not with the drop of a sign. Doesn't seem right.

Seriously? Seems illegal. If someone can get proof of it (take a time-stamped photo of the historic district sign when they park and a photo of the other later if they wind up with a ticket), maybe they can get a judge to throw it out.

Seems like it might be worth taking photos of the historic district signs when you park just in case so you can show proof of having parked legally.

Also sounds like don't bother parking in that area.

Should be interesting if any attorneys happen to live in that neighborhood and have vehicles that they park on the street. I think someone could sue for a legal parking space being turned into no-parking like that, but it's probably something most people won't bother doing unless they happen to be lawyers.

woodiewood
dallasiteinsa02 said:

In the historic district, the signs that say historic district are dropped down on gameday to be no parking. I have watched the city go around and drop them with a tow truck right behind them. The minute they drop it, the tow truck tows the car. So you were parked legally and then not with the drop of a sign. Doesn't seem right.
Where did you see this? I have lived in the historical area, (it is not an Historical District) and have never seen any temporary no parking signs signs installed on gamedays nor tow trucks folliwing city employees dropping signs. Through the years, none of my neighbors have ever mentioned this...and also never commented that parking on the street was any issue to them.
"
AggiePhil
AG
The signs are usually dropped on Friday, sometimes on Thursday. Then violators can be ticketed or towed for the game on Saturday. It's only on certain streets in certain areas. Mostly the Redmond area.
whoop1995
AG
AggiePhil said:

The signs are usually dropped on Friday, sometimes on Thursday. Then violators can be ticketed or towed for the game on Saturday. It's only on certain streets in certain areas. Mostly the Redmond area.

Just fill up the street with junked cars - torched out frames - scrape vin numbers - no tires nothing - tow truck won't be happy not getting paid since there won't be any owners - they could recycle them but that won't be fun and they would have to be all flat bedded
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
DonHenley
AG
Saw on KBTX this is going into effect for the soccer match and Strait concert. Imagine being a resident living in the area and not only paying taxes for the roads, but then paying an additional $25 to park in front of your own property?
damiond
vote out anyone in city government that supported this

they should not be in office if they can not listen to their constituents
techno-ag
AG
DonHenley said:

Saw on KBTX this is going into effect for the soccer match and Strait concert. Imagine being a resident living in the area and not only paying taxes for the roads, but then paying an additional $25 to park in front of your own property?
Cash grab. Very greedy looking.
Stupe
S
woodiewood said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Where did you see this? I have lived in the historical area, (it is not an Historical District) and have never seen any temporary no parking signs signs installed on gamedays nor tow trucks folliwing city employees dropping signs. Through the years, none of my neighbors have ever mentioned this...and also never commented that parking on the street was any issue to them.
"
I lived in that neighborhood and so has one of my kids and I've never seen that happen.
Deej
AG
In looking at the parking overlay posted by KBTX. Multiple streets show parking on both sides of the street. So much for the emergency services narrative. On my street there is no way they could get that many vehicles parked without blocking driveways.
woodiewood
AggiePhil said:

Maybe in the Redmond area, but that's not the historical area. For the past two decades, the only historical area signs I have ever seen in the historical area are those that are on the top of the regular intersection street signs and they sure don't drop those.

So if I park on the street in front of my house and go out of town on vacation or business and come back and the city will have ticketed me?
Hornbeck
A prominent local physician has posted to his personal Bookface that this will be the downfall of current CoCS council members … I have to say I agree.
maroon barchetta
Actions have consequences

Despite what Gordon Gecko said in "Wall Street", greed is wrong.
Hornbeck
Agreed
techno-ag
AG
Deej said:

In looking at the parking overlay posted by KBTX. Multiple streets show parking on both sides of the street. So much for the emergency services narrative. On my street there is no way they could get that many vehicles parked without blocking driveways.
This sounds like a recipe for disaster.
befitter
Residents should not have to pay to park in front of their own home. This is lame.
Smeghead4761
The obvious solution for residents would be to give a specified number of parking permits to people who live on the streets.

That's what was done in the town where I went to undergrad (Davis, CA). In the residential neighborhoods adjacent to campus, a permit was required for street parking M-F from 8-6. Each address on the specified streets received 2 permits from the city.
threecatcorner
Smeghead4761 said:

The obvious solution for residents would be to give a specified number of parking permits to people who live on the streets.

That's what was done in the town where I went to undergrad (Davis, CA). In the residential neighborhoods adjacent to campus, a permit was required for street parking M-F from 8-6. Each address on the specified streets received 2 permits from the city.

Pretty sure they do the same thing (or at least they did several years ago) on Lower Greenville Avenue in Dallas. It at least used to be an area that had lots of bars and restaurants, and there were parking limitations (can't remember if there were meters or if it was just a limited amount of time you could park there), but people who actually lived there had some type of permit (hangtag or sticker) so they could park in front of their homes and not get towed.
whoop1995
AG
befitter said:

Residents should not have to pay to park in front of their own home. This is lame.

Friends of residents should not have to pay either
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
Hornbeck
If there was ever a better argument for having council members representing districts, I don't know what it is.
Deej
AG
Tale of 2 cities. College Station is charging parking for the event days for both visitors and residents. The city of Bryan is offering free shuttles and parking from downtown city lots, just like gameday. Reasoning is that people who take the shuttle will visit downtown businesses, before and/or after, just like they do on gamedays.
ZoneClubber
AG
This is almost unbelievable. Over a decade ago the City of CS passed an ordinance prohibiting property owners (targeted at Southgate) from selling parking in their driveways and yards for events/ football games. Yard parking gets those cars off the streets. So, they passed a law limiting what you could do on private property, but now want to charge people for parking on the streets which causes congestion ?
maroon barchetta
Pet projects take money.
Hittag1492
AG
College Station has very poor representatives overall on the city council. The quality and integrity-and skill level-for a city of this size is amazingly low.

The council needs a complete refresh and a strong move away from the same recycled types that keep showing up to a more professional, qualified member that knows how to manage the growth of a city like College Station properly while keeping citizens in mimd..
woodiewood
Smeghead4761 said:

To me the obvious solution is to not try to fix something that isn't broken. These visitors are staying in our hotels, BBs, paying HOT taxes, sales taxes, buying shirts, banners, spending probably hundreds of thousands of dollars in our restaurants, stores, buying thousands of gallons of gasoline and paying fuel taxes, etc.

Government will never quench its thirst for OPM.
woodiewood
Any comments were made that the parking charges are only for the two June events.........

"The city anticipates a thorough evaluation post-events to determine the program's continuation for future occasions, such as football games."

KBTX https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/24/college-station-moves-forward-with-paid-parking-pilot-program-despite-neighborhood-opposition/

The city officials just see the potential of thousands of dollars of more money annually for their pet projects.

whoop1995
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/24/college-station-moves-forward-with-paid-parking-pilot-program-despite-neighborhood-opposition/

Under the guise of safety cause y'all dumbasses don't know how to park right after 125 years of football games

Need extra money for extra expenses that aren't baked into the ticket cost because we've never had an event in kyle field before of this magnitude- baloney

Enforcement will start three hours before game and end at halftime - we have no current plans for football season as we are just looking into it - uhhhhh when is halftime at the George strait concert? This is such crap.

They think everyone is stupid.

Hornbeck
I said all along that was the driving focus of the council, to cash in on the big school - Parking. For. Football. Games. I got laughed at, had my reading comprehension called into question, etc. Then we have the "this is great for the city" folks.

It seems the chickens have come home to roost.
woodiewood
whoop1995 said:

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/05/24/college-station-moves-forward-with-paid-parking-pilot-program-despite-neighborhood-opposition/

Under the guise of safety cause y'all dumbasses don't know how to park right after 125 years of football games

Need extra money for extra expenses that aren't baked into the ticket cost because we've never had an event in kyle field before of this magnitude- baloney

Enforcement will start three hours before game and end at halftime - we have no current plans for football season as we are just looking into it - uhhhhh when is halftime at the George strait concert? This is such crap.

I have lived in the histerical area for 15 years and also parked in it for about 30 years attending games and never have seen any city activities in the area that would incur "extra expenses" to the city.
whoop1995
AG
woodiewood said:

whoop1995 said:

I have lived in the histerical area for 15 years and also parked in it for about 30 years attending games and never have seen any city activities in the area that would incur "extra expenses" to the city.

This is one of the city excuses for the parking fees. Hopefully it is the historical district and not the hysterical district or maybe the money is needed then.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.