Metroplex
Sponsored by

Pork Butts - Kroger has them for $.97/LB

12,491 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Ol Jock 99
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ha. Just realized I hadn't posted about it, but I believe they're still on for a few more days. Grabbed quite a few on Wednesday! Sorry I didn't post.

Edit: Kroger is buying Albertsons (which owns Safeway which owns Tom Thumb/Randalls) so it might be even easier for some folks to get these deals in the future assuming they keep running them.
zag213004
AG
With these low prices I've made a few over the last few weeks and I think I may have a winner. Made my own rub blend and the latest pork butt it went for about 12hrs at 225 on a pellet grill i was given for free (sadly the controller logic is terrible so temp swings of +/- 30 not uncommon throughout the cook and I can't/won't spend the money to fix it.) Kids finally love a meat that's not battered chicken
agcrock2005
AG
Congrats. Not criticizing your cooking method, but providing guidance that may or may not be wanted. Pork butts are so fatty making them very forgiving, so you don't need to cook it that low. If you want speed up your cook you can easily cook it at 250-275. Some people even go higher. Glad the kids are liking it!
zag213004
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Congrats. Not criticizing your cooking method, but providing guidance that may or may not be wanted. Pork butts are so fatty making them very forgiving, so you don't need to cook it that low. If you want speed up your cook you can easily cook it at 250-275. Some people even go higher. Glad the kids are liking it!

My first one was at 275 and yeah was definitely faster. Problem with this grill is it doesn't have good control at all... We're talking swings of up into the 325 if set at 275. And comparing each cook the 225 one was better tasting for me (and the kids). More smoke (obviously not as much as an offset. Once bark was set and I was into the stall I wrapped it and increased the temp and finished it that way

grill was free and this model appears to have these issues production wide. when I have the funds I'll get something better and more consistent
agcrock2005
AG
Understood. Hard to nail the cooks with that big of a swing. Before I had kids I cooked on a POS and wanted a specific big offset for about 10 years. 6 years ago my wife called me to tell me she was pregnant with our first and when I hung up I immediately called the pit builder and ordered mine.
Bird Poo
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I used to cook at 250 but went back down to 225. This allows more of the fat to pull away from the meat, creating a better texture on the bark. Just something we prefer. The big butts can take up to 14-15 hours though!
752bro4
AG
Quote:

The big butts can take up to 14-15 hours though!
You other brothers can't deny

$1.49/lb at Tom Thumb today.
zag213004
AG
752bro4 said:

Quote:

The big butts can take up to 14-15 hours though!
You other brothers can't deny

I heard the whip crack sound in my head after reading that
Southlake
I like pork butts and I cannot lie…
agcrock2005
AG
FYI, they have St. Louis style spares for $1.77/lb right now using the digital coupons. That's crazy cheap for the times...
aggiespartan
AG
If you want to brave HEB, they are .87/lb with a limit of 2
Log
AG
$0.77/lb at the Plano HEB today.
agcrock2005
AG
Log said:

Wow. Can't wait to have one of those on the west side of DFW.
chris1515
AG
Log said:

Thanks for posting this. I picked up 3 this morning.
zag213004
AG
Any gook pork butt prices in the fort worth area. Looking to do a pork butt to supplement the turkey
aggieactor01
AG
Just picked up 2 @ 99 cents a lb at Kroger Nw Hwy and Plano Rd.
agcrock2005
AG
Bump...they're doing it again.
jograki
AG
Thanks! Grabbed one.
AggieBarstool
agcrock2005 said:

Bump...they're doing it again.

Crap, not going grocery shopping again until Friday; hope they're still there!
zag213004
AG
Deal expires in 2 or 1 day... Check coupon in Kroger app. I grabbed 2 last night. Put them in freezer immediately upon getting home. One will be for this weekend/next week and the other will be for Christmas. I've never frozen thawed and cooked them (in that sequence). Have y'all had any issues with the cooked end result when freezing and thawing these? The expiration said the 14th so by the time I'll get to cooking them will be the 18th hence why I froze them
agcrock2005
AG
zwhag2010 said:

Deal expires in 2 or 1 day... Check coupon in Kroger app. I grabbed 2 last night. Put them in freezer immediately upon getting home. One will be for this weekend/next week and the other will be for Christmas. I've never frozen thawed and cooked them (in that sequence). Have y'all had any issues with the cooked end result when freezing and thawing these? The expiration said the 14th so by the time I'll get to cooking them will be the 18th hence why I froze them
No. I try to keep 20 at a time in my freezer. Stock back up every time this sale goes on. What is it you think happens that worries you, when pork butts freeze and then thaw out?
zag213004
AG
I've had issues with some chicken thawing after being frozen on the sell by date of it going bad and has made me gun shy. It was long ago so I couldn't tell you the process I took. It may have gone bad before freezing begin with. I don't know. I threw them in the deep freezer within an hr of picking them up so should be good there. I think just ensuring the thaw process is properly done to ensure it doesn't go bad. Do you go the fridge route a couple of days out or thaw the day of?
agcrock2005
AG
No. Too many people put too much thought into thawing out meat. My mom takes 3 freakin weeks to thaw a turkey out in her fridge for example. I pull my meat out of my freezer and put it on my garage floor until it's thawed out. Then I trim, season and cook it. I bbq multiple times a week and have done this for 20 years and haven't ever had an issue.
agcrock2005
AG
Sale back on at Kroger.
zag213004
AG
I see it online now but they were definitely not on sale at mine (alliance)as of 9pm last night. They were being sold for 2.49/lb.... I guess I need to stop buy today and get some
agcrock2005
AG
Sale started yesterday. Sometimes on Wednesday's they won't have them all labeled and on display yet, but you can grab them and they'll ring it up for you at register for sale price.
planoaggie123
AG
bump as we get closer to fall / football...looks like HEB has pork butt for $0.97....basically half off....

waiting for some brisket to go on sale....
ChoppinDs40
AG
Kroger had brisket for $1.97 last week. Grabbed 2.
planoaggie123
AG
Darn. I need to get better at watching. Wife doesn't shop there so i have to proactively check on app.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Check their mailers. We still get the weekly ad.

HEB has Prime NY strips on sale this week.
schwabbin
AG
How are Kroger's choice briskets? Looks like I overpaid at Costco yesterday $3.89/lb
ChoppinDs40
AG
schwabbin said:

How are Kroger's choice briskets? Looks like I overpaid at Costco yesterday $3.89/lb
they were pretty big 15-16 lbs - I know there will be a good amount fat need to get trimmed but it's choice
ChoppinDs40
AG
HEB has Prime Briskets on sale this week. $3.99/lb. Not great but Prime is hard to beat.
Garrelli 5000
AG
.49 LB bone in pork butt today at market street in frisco. Even the HS kid at checkout said "wow you just bought 14lbs of pork for 8 bucks…"

Made up a tiny amount in some small cosmic way for todays game.
Take the trash out staff.
JaceAG12
ChoppinDs40 said:

schwabbin said:

they were pretty big 15-16 lbs - I know there will be a good amount fat need to get trimmed but it's choice

I've cooked several of their choices and ironically my last one was better than my Costco prime, but I think that had more to do with me getting better at the process. I don't hesitate to buy their choice briskets if I can get them for a good price.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.