17 Best Things to Do in Amarillo, TX Top Activities & Places to Go!

11,206 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Aggie1
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol. Pantex as a place to see? Visiting is "notoriously difficult".
CanyonAg77
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

These travel bloggers spend 30 minutes on Google, and come back and regurgitate the same sights, having never been within 500 miles of the Panhandle.

Palo Duro
Cadillac Ranch
Big Texan
Rinse and Repeat

I guess kudos for thinking outside the box?
CanyonAg77
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

From the article

Quote:

The Pantex Plant is run by the BMX corporation, though it is managed and officially owned by the Department of Energy of the United States.
BMX? Like the bicycle?

BWXT was the main contractor a decade ago, but it's been CNS for quite a while.

Quote:

The plant has numerous zones across its 16,000-acre expanse, boasting its own military force and even a test site for experimental explosives, simply dubbed Zone 11.

It's 18,000 acres, and has a security force, not a military force

Quote:

It was then used in the Cold War as an assembly point for a whopping 70,000 nuclear warheads.
The US produced 70,000 warheads, but far from all were assembled at Pantex

Quote:

The plant has faced numerous other challenges, such as worker strikes due to overworked staff.

I'm trying to recall the last strike out there.

Quote:

Visitation to the Pantex Plant is notoriously difficult.

The official plant's website provides you with information on the paperwork you'll need to read and what you need to do to gain entrance.

It can be a bit of a hassle, but for fans of unusual, one-of-a-kind spots, it's worth the trouble for a glimpse into the incredible property and its goings-on.

Amazingly enough, yes, the Pantex Plant web site does have information for visitors.

https://pantex.energy.gov/about/visiting-us

Quote:

Visiting Us

Pantex plays an integral role in our nation's nuclear defense. We have some of the most stringent security in the world, and we only host invited visitors.

I guess they missed that little detail.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.visitamarillo.com/things-to-do/
A-A Ron
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

The plant has faced numerous other challenges, such as worker strikes due to overworked staff.

I'm trying to recall the last strike out there.

2015 thanks to CNS' wonderful leadership....
Aggie1
AG
https://www.visitamarillo.com/
Aggie1
AG
TequilaMockingbird
The Floating Mesa LOL!
Aggie1
AG
https://www.worldatlas.com/cities/amarillo-texas.html
Jimbos Plaque
AG
this whole thread is making me laugh. canyon is right. i grew up in rillo and there truly is nothing to do there. they could have said "grab some lunch beers with the boys at Hummers before you have to head back to work, then be sure to check out the Water Still for some iced tea. On your way out to Palo Duro Canyon, make sure you stop by Greg Lair and tell the bowtie guy JP I said hi and of course a trip to amarillo can't be complete without seeing the Big Texan and buying a kid rock cowboy hat!"
TequilaMockingbird
This thread insists upon itself.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.southernliving.com/travel/texas/amarillo-texas
Aggie1
AG
https://www.visitamarillo.com/about-amarillo/travel-guides/newsletter/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgJGSjevT-QIVMw-KAx2uUQkbEAEYASAAEgK-t_D_BwE
Aggie1
AG
https://www.gotodestinations.com/29-amazing-things-to-do-in-amarillo-texas/
CanyonAg77
AG
Aggie1 said:

https://www.gotodestinations.com/29-amazing-things-to-do-in-amarillo-texas/
Since most of these are simply rehashes of other Google-derived lists, I haven't looked at most of them. But when it listed twenty-nine amazing place in Amarillo, I had to see how they came up with that many.

Well, they did so by including things like the Texas Travel Center on I-40. Sure, a good place for info on tourism anywhere in Texas, but Amazing? Hardly. And while this one doesn't quite rise to the level of the guy who suggested visiting a secure nuclear weapons facility, there are some real howlers.

All of these lists are done by people who never set foot in Texas, but this guy doesn't even bother doing much research. Why Google, when you can just make it up out of thin air?

Quote:

Cadillac Ranch...originally consisted of 10 old Cadillacs buried nose-first in a field. In 1997, Marsh added 3 more Cadillacs to the ranch, bringing the total number of cars to 13.

Uh, no. It's always been 10 cars covering 13 years. It was moved in 1997, but the total has not changed.

Quote:

The Amarillo Botanical Gardens...Spread across 15 acres,

4.5 acres, total

Quote:

The Discovery Center also has an Aquarium, Planetarium, and Butterfly Pavilion.

No, no, and no.

Quote:

Cowboy Muffler Man.
The statue stands 18 feet tall and was originally built in 1962 as advertisement for a muffler shop. However, after the shop went out of business, the statue was left behind and quickly became a local landmark.
In recent years, the statue has been adopted as a symbol of the city's support for the Second Amendment.

Quite fascinating. Quite imaginary. Came from Sanger, Texas, likely cobbled together by a collector in Gainsville, and bought by the RV park where he now stands in 2014. Most of Amarillo has never heard of him.

Quote:

Amarillo, Texas is home to a very unique roadside attraction a pair of giant legs! The legs are made of concrete and steel, and they measure an impressive 30 feet tall.

Visitors can climb to the top of the legs for a great view of the surrounding area. Amarillo is known for its wide open spaces, and from the top of the legs, you can see for miles in every direction.

The legs are located just off of Route 66

Even with the base, they're more like 15 feet, not 30. It's not possible to climb them without climbing gear. And if you did, you wouldn't see for miles, as they're in the bottom of a playa lake, so the best you can do is see the rim of the playa.

Just off Route 66? If you consider eight miles as "just off".

Quote:

The Harrington is a hotel that offers visitors a truly unique experience. From the moment you step into the lobby, you'll be transported back in time to the days of luxury and elegance.

The Harrington's guest rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the hotel staff is always on hand to provide top-notch service. But what really sets The Harrington apart is its commitment to offering guests an authentic Texas experience.

Whether you're enjoying a meal in the hotel's on-site restaurant or exploring the nearby Palo Duro Canyon, you'll be sure to have an unforgettable time at The Harrington.

I'm sure that if you try to check in or eat a meal there, you'll have an unforgettable experience as the museum staff calls the cops on you. Not a hotel, not a restaurant.

Quote:

Wildcat Bluff Nature Center...home to a variety of animals, including coyotes, bison

No buffalo.

Quote:

Amarillo's Sixth Street Historic District...home to a number of historical landmarks, including the Old Santa Fe Depot and the Polk Street Methodist Church.

Depot is on 4th, Church is off of 14th

Quote:

The Amarillo Symphony has been entertaining audiences for over 100 years. Founded in 1911, the symphony is the oldest continuing orchestra in the state of Texas.

This is hilarious, because it is taken directly off the web page for the Austin Symphony, which was founded in 1911 and is oldest in Texas. The earliest beginnings of the Amarillo group were in 1924.

Quote:

The Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts...also features an art gallery and a Gift Shop

No gallery, no gift shop

Quote:

The Texas Panhandle War Museum in Amarillo, Texas tells the story of the Great Plains Indian Wars. The museum is located in an old fort that was used during the war.

The museum has a collection of weapons, clothing, and other artifacts from the war. The museum also has a diorama of the battle of Little Bighorn.

The Texas Panhandle War Museum is a great place to learn about the history of the Great Plains Indian Wars.

Wow. Don't know what to say about this collection of bull crap. I'll admit I have not been, but I'm almost certain it has little to no info on the Red River Wars, no Little Big Horn diorama, and I'm sure the people who used to work in the building, the former Randall County Annex, would be shocked to learn it was a fort during wars that occurred 80 years before it was built.

I'm going to say it would be a horrible place to learn about Indian wars, and the Huey, F-100, and section of the deck of the USS Arizona are more notable, and not mentioned.

Quote:

Amarillo Museum of Art...is also home to a beautiful sculpture garden,

One piece of outdoor sculpture, no garden

Quote:

Richard Daniel Baker Peace Park...features stunning landscaping, with well-manicured gardens and a bubbling fountain..

The centerpiece of the park is a large granite sculpture of two doves in flight, which represents the hope for peace in the world.

No landscaping, no fountain, no sculpture of doves. Just a bunch of metal signs with slogans cut in them in a pasture east of town.

Quote:

The Amarillo Railroad Museum...is located in an old depot

Visitors can see vintage locomotives, photograph, and even ride on a restored caboose.

No depot, no locomotives, sure as the dickens no caboose rides. The Pantex Weapons train, a unique item they do have, is not mentioned.

Quote:

Amarillo Civic Center Complex...home to the Amarillo Bulls hockey team

Bulls left in 2021, now the Wranglers

Got to wonder what the author of this nonsense was smoking as they wrote.

Drum5343
AG
Reading this thread was funny. Grew up in Amarillo. Amazing that travel bloggers get it so, so wrong.

I may or may not know who originally painted tube socks on the giant legs off I-27…
CanyonAg77
AG
Drum5343 said:

Reading this thread was funny. Grew up in Amarillo. Amazing that travel bloggers get it so, so wrong.

I may or may not know who originally painted tube socks on the giant legs off I-27…

I think someone should make a giant jock strap to pile around the feet.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.newschannel10.com/2022/11/15/new-amarillo-new-shopping-locations-bringing-more-community/
Nixter
AG
Drum5343 said:

Are you talking about I-27 and Sundown?
34blast
I did all on the original list. The only one I would do again is Palo Duro Canyon. I find all those things besides PDC boring. I don't get out to that area much but it is underrated area for dirt biking OR ATV/UTVs. There are a few places that are a blast
CanyonAg77
AG
Where did you off road? Obviously somewhere outside the state park.
Drum5343
AG
Nixter said:

Drum5343 said:

Are you talking about I-27 and Sundown?

Just randomly came back to check this thread. Yes. I am talking about I-27 and Sundown
Aggie1
AG
https://www.momtastic.com/travel/794146-the-10-best-family-friendly-activities-in-amarillo-texas/
Aggie1
AG
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/10-best-family-friendly-activities-211252949.html
Aggie1
AG
Enjoy a day in Palo Duro Canyon as Texas State Parks celebrate 100 years
CanyonAg77
AG
We were in the Canyon earlier this week and saw the announcements for this. But I haven't seen a thing on media. Don't know if I missed the publicity, or they do a poor job
BeefAg_00~
CanyonAg77 said:

Aggie1 said:

1. Cadillac Ranch
Waste of time. A junkyard in a wheat field

2. US Route 66 Sixth Street Historic District
Unless you like antique stores, a 5 minute drive through, and you're done

3. Palo Duro Canyon State Park Canyon
Any list that does not have this as #1 is a stupid list

4. American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum
Haven't been in 20 years, but was not impressed

5. Amarillo Zoo
Haven't been, see no reason to go

6. Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum Canyon
Should be #2 after PD Canyon. World class.

7. Amarillo Botanical Gardens
Pretty good, especially combined with walk around Medi-Park lake and taking the kids to Don Herrington

8. Amarillo Museum of Art
Abstain. Never been, not an art guy

9. Texas Air & Space Museum
Pretty decent, they have some unique stuff, such as the Gulfstream jet that was used to train Shuttle pilots.

10. Jack Sisemore Traveland RV Museum
Again, never been, looks like an interesting45 minute visit

11. Wonderland Amusement Park
A nice little amusement park, like hundreds of others

12. Cowgirls and Cowboys in the West
No idea

13. Don Harrington Discovery Center
Great for elementary aged kids

14. Bill's Backyard Classics
Haven't been, looks cool

15. The Big Texan Steak Ranch Brewery and Hotel
It's a tourist trap, with mediocre food. But the owner is a GREAT promoter for Amarillo, I cut him a lot of slack.

16. Amarillo Symphony
17. Amarillo Little Theatre
Again, not an arts type of guy, I'm sure they are good for what they are

You take that back about the Big Texan. Thems fightin words.
CanyonAg77
AG
Seriously?

Great owner, great promoter for Amarillo

Decemt steak, but not great
BeefAg_00~
I'm not from your area, but enjoy stopping at the Big Texan on my way through. It is 100% a tourist trap, but I can't not stop in there.
CanyonAg77
AG
I support Big Texan. Glad he's here

I don't eat there, unless an out-of-town guest insists
BeefAg_00~
Anyone eaten here before?

Double XXL Ranch?

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/food-hiding-down-a-bumpy-dirt-road-tx/amp/
CanyonAg77
AG
Yes, pre-COVID. It was great. Best steakhouse in the Panhandle. Hope they survived COVID.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.thetravel.com/top-things-to-do-in-palo-duro-canyon-texas/
Aggie1
AG
https://www.visitamarillo.com/
Aggie1
AG
Must-see events, attractions, things to do in Amarillo in winter 2023 - MyHighPlains.com
MyHighPlains.com
AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) With the arrival of the holiday season, the Amarillo area is welcoming a bustling last few months of 2023 with ...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.