Wichita Falls

1,876 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by 12TMN
BartInLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thinking about moving there to teach at the university. Any feedback is welcome. I've spent my life in Texas from Dallas to Houston and to the East of that line,
TIA
CanyonAg77
AG
Then the heat and humidity won't bother you.

I don't have a lot of personal knowledge, but it's always seemed like a good community. Easy access to DFW, if that interests you. Also puts you closer to NM and CO for vacation. But further from even feeder airports like LBB and AMA. Probably easier to just drive to Dallas or DFW.

Economy should be stable. Besides oil and ag, the AFB trains all the NATO pilots, so that's a mission that should last for decades
WestTexasAg
AG
Gets damn hot there in the summer! The town isn't overly impressive, but the university seems nice and there are some nice residential areas not far from there and the country club. That's about all I got.
jtp01
AG
Consistently some of the highest temperatures when we've traveled through there. Had a friend get married there and it was 109 that day. I'm still sweating almost 10 years later!!
HarleySpoon
AG
Isn't the annual bicycle race named "The Hotter Than Hell 100?"
ph0384
AG
Moved to WF from CS in 2010 after college. Grew up in Dallas area so was not native to WF. We love it. Great place to raise kids. Zero traffic, can drive across town at 5 on a Thursday in 10 minutes. Crime is minimal, especially compared to the bigger cities. Cost of living/housing market seems more reasonable than other places in the state. It does get hot in the summer sometimes. I don't think the heat is bad until it gets to 105 or higher. I will take 100 here over 90 in CS any day. Some people complain that "there is nothing to do here", but never been an issue for us. DFW and OKC are both about 2 hours away, so both are close enough for a day trip.
CSL24
AG
I grew up in WF, lived there 18 years until I went to A&M. I typically compare the feel to College Station and South College station combined without Bryan in terms of size. Two brand new high schools starting next fall. The university campus is beautiful given it is a smaller school. Nice facilities, good location in town. Housing closest to the university is probably as good as it gets in town, unless you go out west of Memorial stadium. Good enough grocery/restaurant options, churches, parks, events. I will say, it gets very hot in the summer, usually was 5- 10 degrees warmer than BCS, but there was almost never humidity which makes it nice. I am a big fan of the community there, but even though I will say that I don't plan on moving back, mostly due to my job field.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I can't say a lot about WF, other than driving through, but I CAN say a lot about that sized university, and I can't say enough good things. A university plus a smaller city means you have the advantages of smaller town life (no traffic, no 2 hour waits for a seat in a restaurant, etc.) but you have youth and vibrancy that a college brings. Sporting events without expensive tickets and terrible parking. Events on the campus. Young people in the city. It's a wonderful situation if you have or intend to have a family.
eric76
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Isn't the annual bicycle race named "The Hotter Than Hell 100?"
It's one of those charity rides, not a race.
12TMN
AG
Grew up in Burkburnett - 10 minutes north of WF - used to be a nice town, lots of air force retirees. It's declined in the last few years like a lot of small towns, but still a good place to live (SW side of town is the nicest). The "country club" area around the university in WF has some impressive homes - as unique as what you would see in the park cities of Dallas. It does get incredibly hot there and can be incredibly cold (wind chill). Wind never quits blowing, humidity is generally not as bad (the reason the temps can spike in the summer). Lots of really good salt of the earth people there. I'd move back if there was a good opportunity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.