LBK Move

3,073 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by DE4D
DE4D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wife entertaining an offer in the LBK offer, any advice on school districts or areas for the kids still at home would be appreciated.
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”
topoftexasag
AG
I don't live in LBK but I know the Frenship school district has been very popular for several of my close friends that have moved there within the last 5 years. Lubbock has been growing exponentially in the last 10 years.
WestTexasAg
AG
Public schools? Frenship or Lubbock Cooper. There are very good private schools here too.
busdriver88
AG
Lived here since 1991. Have had kids in both private and public schools. Your kids will get out of school what they put into it, no matter where you put them. Had a daughter in LISD and was blown away at the staff and how they worked with her. My son went to private K-12 and is about to graduate from Texas A&M, was totally prepared for college.

Again, if they work hard, any place will be fine. And if they don't, it does not matter where they go to school.

As far as the move, love the town, the people, and do not regret living here for a second.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
MooreTrucker
AG
My kids went through LISD (graduated in 2009) and did just fine (both graduated from A&M), but what I'm hearing these days isn't all that positive. Frenship is good and Cooper is the district du jour right now and just built a new high school.

We moved here in 1970 when I was 11, and other than CS, I haven't lived anywhere else, and with few exceptions, don't want to live anywhere else. Friendly folks, low cost-of-living, Relatively close to everything but far enough away to be in a nice little bubble of "not weird".

And don't let the "dust storm" stuff scare you away. They don't happen often or last long, and we have 300+ days of sunshine and golf-worthy weather.

Also don't let the "bad Tech fan" stories scare you off either. Separate conferences took care of that and I've never had any issues as an Aggie in Lubbock, and anything I heard about back in the day was Tech students, not regular folks.
The_Thinker
My 2 friends who teach in Lubbock left LIsD for Cooper this year. The admin in LISD is a nightmare apparently.

Lubbock is great but remote.
MooreTrucker
AG
Equidistant from everything.

And I wish the airport was better.
CanyonAg77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

An airport where you can park close to the terminal, and be through security in 10 minutes?

Most people would kill for that.
MooreTrucker
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

MooreTrucker said:

An airport where you can park close to the terminal, and be through security in 10 minutes?

Most people would kill for that.
True, but limited flights and very few direct flights to anywhere besides Dallas and Austin.
CanyonAg77
AG
If you die in Lubbock, expect a three hour layover in Dallas, regardless of whether you're headed to Heaven or Hell
MooreTrucker
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

If you die in Lubbock, expect a three hour layover in Dallas, regardless of whether you're headed to Heaven or Hell
LOL...sad but true. Cool River for eats and drinks is a good spot to kill that time.
Galloping Ghost
AG
I would consider smaller districts. I live in Lubbock and my kids go to Ropes. Other good districts are New Home, Idalou, and New Deal.
I grew up here and was in LISD the whole time. It isn't the same as it used to be.
This is a great place to live. I just laugh at all the big city people saying its a dump. Let 'em keep saying that so they stay out!
Todd 02
AG
New Home is full!
Todd 02
AG
In all honesty though, I grew up here and always thought it was just a good place to be from. While I never anticipated returning, I'm happy I did. Not many other places in Texas where I can afford to live on 20 acres and still have a 20 minute commute.

I'm a product of LISD, but that was over 25 years ago. Can't tell you much of anything about the school system now. Frenship and Cooper are extremely popular. Ropes, New Home, Idalou, and Shallowater are the up and coming districts, in no particular order.

It's easy to get dang near anywhere. Cost of living has always been pretty cheap, but catching up to the rest of Texas I expect. Above posters aren't kidding about parking and security at the airport. It's a breeze.

Speaking of breeze, it's damn windy a lot of the time. You get used to it. Kinda. Not really.

The people are great and the perceived desolation keeps the population manageable.

My email is in my profile if you have other questions.
SW AG80
AG
Your first paragraph could be put to song. With a lyric some thing like "Happiness is Lubbock Texas growing nearer and dearer."
Hamburger Dan
I've been a HS coach since 1982, moved here 8 years ago to take a coaching job at Frenship. I did retire last May- but I've never worked in a school district that offered the same advantages- that I had at FISD. They as well as Cooper have added another High School. Frenship's is set to open in 2025.
TequilaMockingbird
Hamburger Dan said:

I've been a HS coach since 1982, moved here 8 years ago to take a coaching job at Frenship. I did retire last May- but I've never worked in a school district that offered the same advantages- that I had at FISD. They as well as Cooper have added another High School. Frenship's is set to open in 2025.
Topic derail....I've heard when the new high school opens, they're going to initially keep Frenship High as 6A and the new school will have a 4A enrollment to get things started. Do you have intel on that?
CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/entertainment/2024/01/24/is-beavis-and-butt-head-based-in-lubbock/72314309007/
Quote:

Weird West Texas: Is Beavis and Butt-head based in Lubbock?
MooreTrucker
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/entertainment/2024/01/24/is-beavis-and-butt-head-based-in-lubbock/72314309007/
Quote:

Here's proof. Top is the wine room from the Kidney episode, bottom is the Funky Door wine bar in Lubbock.

TequilaMockingbird
MooreTrucker said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Here's proof. Top is the wine room from the Kidney episode, bottom is the Funky Door wine bar in Lubbock.

Wow.
WestTexasAg
AG
MooreTrucker said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

DE4D
AG
all good feedback.

thanks all
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.