Good places to eat in between Dallas and Amarillo

18,608 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by DE4D
2000ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anybody recommend some good place to eat lunch? We are leaving Dallas between 8 and 9 AM, but don't mind eating early or late to get something good.

We are going up 287, unless somebody can recommend a better route. We are headed to Palo Duro Canyon State Park.
51Merc-98Ag
AG
usually when I am traveling from BCS to that area - I am in a hurry - translation: something quick to eat.

But, I have eaten at a couple of places that are decent:

Medicine Mound Depot in Quanah (ate there once, and if I remember correctly it was pretty good)

Pioneer in Wichita Falls - as long as you don't mind smoke! (probably quite a few places to eat in WF)

Also quite a few places in Decatur - but that is probably too close to Dallas for you.
CanyonAg77
AG
Hmmm, Lots of chain and fast food, not much good stuff.

Decatur has a K-Bobs, but that would be pretty early.

Quanah had a neat steak house built out of the old RR Depot, but it has been many moons and a couple of different owners since we've eaten there. (EDIT: Same as the Medicine Mound Depot mentioned above)

Wichita Falls has a good steak house downtown, not too far off 287, I believe it is called McBride Land & Cattle.

If you are headed straight to PD Canyon, the fastest and shortest is 287 to Claude. At Claude, get off 287, go to the south side of town and pick up FM 1151 to the west. Stay on it until just south of Amarillo, and pick up FM 1541/Washington Street south.

Follow it about 7 miles south to state highway 217, Go left (east) on 217 about 7 miles to the Park Entrance.

If you like back roads, cut off at Vernon and take highway 70 across to Plainview. Or even more back country is split off at Estelline, cut across to Turkey (home of Bob Wills) Quitaque, Silveton and Tulia.

If you go to Tulia, eat a Chile Relleno at El Camino restaurant.

Go to my reply on

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=620569&forum_id=39

For some links to PD Canyon and the museum in Canyon. In Canyon, if you want a change from fast food, try any of these locally owned places:

Pepitos - very good Mexcican food

Feldman's - variety menu, amusing atmosphere, good food. Try the Texas Eggroll

Copes Coney Island - Tiny little diner, seats about 30 in booths and stools. Don't go there during lunch hour, you won't get a seat. Recommendation: Steak Fingers....real steak, not battered ground meat

Hil's Burger - Good hamburgers, fantastic onion rings

EDIT: It's been very dry, PD Canyon may not be too scenic. However, forecast for today and tomorrow is chance of rain and cooler. Might be very nice down there. Stay alert for flash flood if it does rain.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 5/4/2006 2:19p).]
2000ag
AG
I much prefer backroads, but will be pulling a travel trailer. How backroad are we talking?
Professor
Even our backroad up here are in good condition....pretty wide with good shoulders, so pulling a trailer should be no problem. Remember, we have to drive large farm equipment and pull trailers of cotton or cattle on them.
CanyonAg77
AG
I probably would not cut off at Estelline, then. The roads are wide and all, but that route will have plenty of curves and up and down that wont be a lot of fun.

Highway 70 is pretty wide, and will be 4-lane for at least some of it. But I'd check the miles, it is probably a longer route.

You should have no problem with the cut-off from Claude. It is good two-lane, very straight and flat. There is one set of major curves where the road jogs south one mile, and when it says 50mph, it means 50mph.

On 1541, you cross the head of the PD Canyon, and it is pretty steep going in and out so be alert. Also, the road going down into the Canyon is steep, so take your time and do it in low gear.

I assume you have a space reserved in the Park?

If you haven't ever been there, let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, you will probably not have cell phone reception in the park. Cell phone radio waves do not make the 800 foot drop easily.
2000ag
AG
We do have a spot reserved, but I did have some questions.

How close is the nearest place to get supplies like ice, gas and anything we forgot? I am guessing we can get most of it at the park store, but if they don't have it, how far to civilization?
CanyonAg77
AG
The smart alecs around here will probably say 100s of miles to civilization, but...

You know, I'm not 100% sure the park store is open. I think it is, but I know they were looking for a new contractor a few years ago.

You might call to confirm.

Park info: 806-488-2227

Park Store (from 2006 phone book): 806-488-2821

Otherwise, figure 12 miles. As you leave the park, you are on Highway 217 headed west. Just stay on it to Canyon, crossing under I-27. About 1.2 miles past I-27 will be a convienence store (Pak-a-Sak) on your left, just south of the second motel.

If you plan to go to the museum, it will be only 4 blocks further, on the WTAMU campus. It's pretty good, lots of cars, guns, wagons, etc.

Highway 217 becomes 4th Avenue in Canyon. The Pak-a-Sak is at 4th Avenue and 28th Street...yep, the E-W are numbered "Avenues", the N-S are numbered "streets".

Continue west on 4th avenue, and the second light is the main N-S street, 23rd street. Turn right (north) on 23rd street, and there will be a large United Supermarket at the north end of town on the left.

If you are a real glutton for punishment, keep going north on 23rd street (US87) about 1/2 mile north of the United and there will be a super Wally World. You'll have to exit on Hunsley Hills Blvd and cross over.
2000ag
AG
Thank you sir! You have been a big help. I am pretty sure Canyon will be civilization to me. It looks to be about twice as big as my hometown (Sinton, TX). Our Wally World closed down.
CanyonAg77
AG
No problem...our population is around 12,000, plus WT students, so big enough for me, but not too big.

A follow up to the cell phone...it may work anyway, but I really doubt it will. If you need to make a call, just drive out to the top of the Canyon, and you'll probably hit a tower.

Should be pretty nice, but cool this weekend....lows of 45, highs in the 60s.

Radio station KGNC 710 AM is the local news & weather station. It's a strong station (24 hours) and if you have a question about severe weather, it's the one to listen to.

Gotta leave, but I'll check back late tonight if you think of anything else.

Intellicast.com forecast:

http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPage/LoadPage.aspx?loc=kama&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=Forecasts&product=Forecast&prodnav=none&pid=none

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 5/4/2006 5:08p).]
DeadArmadillo
No one has mentioned Norman's, in front of the Best Western in Vernon? All you can eat, slightly run down looking place. Good food and lots of it!!
powerbiscuit
the is a ratty subway somewhere around childress...

if you ask them to load your sandwich up with jalapenos and banana peppers, you should be safe from food poisoning
Burdizzo
AG
Is Norman's still open? I thought it was closed.

There is also a Braum's in Vernon.
51Merc-98Ag
AG

[This message has been edited by meatball (edited 5/5/2006 11:26a).]
DeadArmadillo
Norman's was still open last spring, I'm sure. It may have closed since then, but I hope not
WestTxAg06
AG
Last time I was in Childress, the K-Bobs was outstanding.
Killer-K 89
AG
If the trailer is not too big, take the cutoff at Estelline and go through Turkey and Quitaque and then on to Silverton. There are a number of routes to get to the canyon from there.

The scenery is worth the drive in the travel trailer. And there is a really good place to eat in Quitaque. It is called The Sportsman and is at the west end of town.

Caprock Canyons is also located in Quitaque and I like it as much or more than Palo Duro.
Deets
There is also a Chicken Express in Vernon. Take the exit at McD's. Go left on Hillcrest. Turn left onto Wilbarger and it is on the right. It isn't more than 1.5 miles off of 287. Decent chicken, excellent sweet tea and is owned by a classmate of my folks.

DeadArmadillo
FWIW, Norman's in Vernon is still open. I drove through yesterday and noticed that it was hoppin'. And as I went by at 70+ mph on 287, I passed within 100 ft of the place, causing my cholestrol to go up at least 50 points.
Hagen95
AG
The rib is in love with K-bob's since I introduced it to her on a visit to the parentals. There is one in Decatur as well as Childress, depending on when you leave.
Aggie1
AG
http://chefmoz.org/United_States/TX/Brownwood/Underwoods_Cafeteria977462955.html

I often have detoured just to go by Underwood's in Brownwood... especially if I happen to be going via Austin to begin with...

402 E Commerce Street - map
Brownwood, TX 76801

AAAAAg

[This message has been edited by Aggie1 (edited 6/11/2006 2:32a).]
panhandleag75
AG
In Childress. Golden Dragon across from the court house (second traffic light), Grayson steak house (on left 2 blocks past 3rd light), K-Bobs, and El Sombrero on the west end of town between the Days Inn and Childress Inn. El Sombrero is really good home cooked Mexican food. Nothing fancy just good food.
TheOC16
AG
Bump.
Which of these places still exist 17 years later?
What should be added?
CanyonAg77
AG
TheOC16 said:

Bump.
Which of these places still exist 17 years later?
What should be added?

Wow! Bringing a thread back from the dead. To answer as best I can, and I don't know all the small towns up to date:

Medicine Mound Depot in Quanah was closed this spring, but someone was working on it, so it may be back.

We've lost Copes Coney Island in Canyon. My go to places now are Sayakomarn's #1, Thai food. Next is Pepitos for Mexican. Buff's for steak fingers and breakfast, also Ranch House and Buenos Dias for breakfast. Green Chile Willies (north of town) for Chicken Fried Steak. Feldmans (American), Hil's, and Mickey's (Italian) are good. Canyon Cake Company, great bakery.

The Park Store is open now in the canyon, and the City of Canyon (12 miles from PD Canyon) is still the closest grocery. But there's now a place just outside the park that sells supplies, serves food, and is planning to have an event center. Name escapes me right now.

Quote:

The scenery is worth the drive in the travel trailer. And there is a really good place to eat in Quitaque. It is called The Sportsman and is at the west end of town.

Caprock Canyons is also located in Quitaque and I like it as much or more than Palo Duro.
Still true. I don't think it's the Sportsman any more, but still a good restaurant in that building.

Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Two words.

Allsups burritos.
CanyonAg77
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Two words.

Allsups burritos.

i can't even stand the smell of the inside of an Allsups.
Nixter
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Two words.

Allsups burritos.
Gut grenade FTW
Aggie1
AG
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/food-hiding-down-a-bumpy-dirt-road-tx/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_source=texas&utm_content=nltitle1&eh_s2=ec6ea961bd3a1f347688719f4362e8fb169076b446b0baeae99fb558da3c7357

Quote:

The Best Ribeye Steak In Texas Is Hiding Miles Down A Bumpy Dirt Road, But It's So Worth The Effort

If you're up for a bit of an adventure, your taste buds will thank you for making the trip out to Stinnett. This tiny Panhandle town is home to Double XXL Steakhouse, a remote steakhouse in Texas that serves up the best ribeye you'll ever eat for roughly $40 a plate (that price includes sides and all the trimmings, too).
CanyonAg77
AG
Was there before covid, it was great, hope they are still doing well

Take cash, they don't take credit cards

When we went, you had to call a day in advance, you cant just show up And they were only open weekend evenings
12TMN
AG
Been a while since we've been there and a bunch of places in WF have closed, but Casa Mañana is worth the stop for the red tacos. Branding iron is/was good bbq

https://www.theoriginalcasamanana.com/our-story

https://www.brandingironwf.com/

Stanleys closed so no more beanie burgers….and the old Luby's in WF was a cut above the other's in Texas (had some of the best CFS).
SW AG80
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Two words.

Allsups burritos.

Too many burritos on top of too much beer in your younger days will do that to you!!
CanyonAg77
AG
SW AG80 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Two words.

Allsups burritos.

Too many burritos on top of too much beer in your younger days will do that to you!!

No, grease that is seldom changed in the grease fryers, added to the ritual burning of burritos by over-cooking that occurred at every store, that will do it to you.

The smell is so persistent, that Allsups is tearing down all the old stores and building new ones.*

* That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
SW AG80
eric76
AG
Aggie1 said:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/food-hiding-down-a-bumpy-dirt-road-tx/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_source=texas&utm_content=nltitle1&eh_s2=ec6ea961bd3a1f347688719f4362e8fb169076b446b0baeae99fb558da3c7357

Quote:

The Best Ribeye Steak In Texas Is Hiding Miles Down A Bumpy Dirt Road, But It's So Worth The Effort

If you're up for a bit of an adventure, your taste buds will thank you for making the trip out to Stinnett. This tiny Panhandle town is home to Double XXL Steakhouse, a remote steakhouse in Texas that serves up the best ribeye you'll ever eat for roughly $40 a plate (that price includes sides and all the trimmings, too).

I've heard of that place. I drive right by the turnoff when going to Dumas (I usually take the route by Capps Switch and the Morton Elevator).
DE4D
AG
I'm not skimming the whole 17yr old thread.

The fried bologna sandwich in Benjamin is outstanding.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.