PSA: Dealer installed "Apex Protect"

63,537 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by rilloaggie
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For anyone that has a new vehicle or bought one in the last 2 or 3 years, take a little time to check your vehicles.

I have pulled these out of some vehicles I've worked on recently. Nobody knew they were installed. They come with a "T Harness" that plugs into your OEM OBD port and then has another port that will bolt in place of where your OEM harness is. Often times you will also find along the harness, there is an inline fuse holder with a mini ATC Fuse. The white card was in a glove box of a fleet car I worked on. My buddy recently bought a new Denali HD from Wiesner in Conroe and we found one in his truck. Dealer staff didnt even make any mention of it.

These are GPS telematics devices that dealerships install for multiple reasons.

• Extended Test Drives - ever wonder why the sales guy is too eager to let you take that Denali home?
  • Certain subprime lenders require them to make sure the buyer doesn't skip out.
  • F&I Add-on that the dealer can sell to the buyer as a lo-jack style add on. "Well its already on, we cant take it off"
  • Who knows what other info they're collecting whether you have paid to have it activated or not.

You can go under the dash and look where your OBD Port is. and look behind. Usually this is "in place" of where the Factory Port is.

How to identify

Most North American built GM factory OBD ports are black with a blue retention clip. If you dont see the light blue part, then you likely have an APEX installed.

Starting in 2015 Ford started putting in a "Gateway" which is the OBD port with a large box (its the modem) attached. If you have the Sync Connect or Fordpass, you have this.

Most Japanese and Korean cars use a white OBD Port. If you dont have this, then you need to do some more poking around.
Silvy
AG
Big brother
Buck Compton
AG
I guess I have the gateway? With some random gray connector not connected to anything?

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Buck Compton said:

I guess I have the gateway? With some random gray connector not connected to anything?

Send me front photo of port. What kind of car?

You have something that's not supposed to be there. This should be mounted to the dash direct. Not zip tied to the dash.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
This is not supposed to be there. Your gateway is.

Buck Compton
AG
Gotcha. Mother ****ers.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Buck Compton said:

Gotcha. Mother ****ers.

Post pics of what you ripped out.
Buck Compton
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Buck Compton said:

Gotcha. Mother ****ers.

Post pics of what you ripped out.
Will do once I take it out tonight.
aggiedata
AG
Tell us what kind of car as well.
Buck Compton
AG
2016 F-150 Lariat. Purchased new from the dealer back in April 2016 and didn't pay for any Apex anything. Will check my wife's 2019 Expy when she gets home.

5/16" nut holding on this harness. It was zip-tied all to hell in there. Cut three different zip ties (and myself a little bit) getting it out. Lots of sharp edges up in there!

It just piggybacks off the same type of plug and is zip tied to the existing wiring harness. Little 3 amp fuse

One of the zip ties I cut and lost up in there... hoping that doesn't turn into a rattle that annoys me, hah.

V8Aggie
AG
*******s
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Buck Compton said:

2016 F-150 Lariat. Purchased new from the dealer back in April 2016 and didn't pay for any Apex anything. Will check my wife's 2019 Expy when she gets home.

5/32 nut holding on this harness. It was zip-tied all to hell in there. Cut three different zip ties (and myself a little bit) getting it out. Lots of sharp edges up in there!

It just piggybacks off the same type of plug and is zip tied to the existing wiring harness. Little 3 amp fuse

One of the zip ties I cut and lost up in there... hoping that doesn't turn into a rattle that annoys me, hah.

Did you put the gateway Back to where it was supposed to be?

Also usually these are installed by porters that DGAF.

Joe Myers hardwires theirs to the fuse boxes.
Buck Compton
AG
Yeah, just secured it right back to the bracket where that other plug was.
Buck Compton
AG
dubi
AG
Remember you took one out of my 2019 Sante Fe when you wired the web cam!

CS Hyundai

/edit
1Ags says the wiring harness is in this photo. I didn't photograph the tracker before I threw it away.
fixer
Great post. Just checked my 21 4 runner and 19 trd pro tundra and they are both white with no wiring shenanigans anywhere.
Guitarsoup
AG
2020 Pacifica Hybrid
Ag for Life
AG
This look normal? 2015 F150

Good thread!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ag for Life said:

Good thread!

Yup!

Looks correct!
Ag for Life
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Ag for Life said:

Good thread!

Yup!

Looks correct!

Sweet! Thanks, I hate nanny controls and trackers.
Guitarsoup
AG
Found the tracker in the Tesla

Gilligan
AG
Who gets this information?
Guitarsoup
AG
Gilligan said:

Who gets this information?
Dealer installed it, so them and whoever they sell the information to.
Buck Compton
AG
I'm sure whatever this Apex company is us selling info out the wazoo as well.
drumboy
AG
I had a nice T4R rental that I'm pretty sure had one of these. It kept slipping out and hitting my left foot while driving and I'd put it back up and wedge it somewhere where it would stay.
Guitarsoup
AG
Buck Compton said:

Probably has our insurance rates going up.
Buck Compton
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Buck Compton said:

Probably has our insurance rates going up.
If they're tracking my lead foot they sure as hell are.
aggielostinETX
AG
Both cars from Sewell and no tracker.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
jswags
AG
Just pulled the same wire harness out of our 2019
Expedition. The freaking apex unit came unplugged and is Velcro'd/duct taped in a side panel cavity under the dash. That thing will be there for life unless someone with midget hands can fish it out.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
jswags said:

Expedition. The freaking apex unit came unplugged and is Velcro'd/duct taped in a side panel cavity under the dash. That thing will be there for life unless someone with midget hands can fish it out.

Did you drop the dash panel? It just pops off on the same plane as the start button and you have access to everything. The bottom is where the pivot/hinge is.
dubi
AG
I know my kids Tucson has one; they added $500 to his closing docs for "theft package". He declined.
DiskoTroop
I bought a car in Dec 2019, it "came with Apex" already installed as a GPS LoJack style device. It's never worked from day one. They of course said "it's already installed so you get a free $500 value." Since I figured I didn't pay for it I just deleted the app and let it be.

I'm ripping it out tomorrow.
jswags
AG
Finally got it. Dropped the panel, a long screw driver and a bloody knuckle...
spadilly
S
Dealer tried to sell it to me when I bought a used car and mentioned "Apex lowers your insurance because if it's stolen they can track it down right away." I declined paying for it but I suspect I'll find it installed tomorrow when I take a look.
Buck Compton
AG
jswags said:

Surprisingly, our 2019 Expy didn't have one. Will do a more thorough search in the light tomorrow of other areas it could be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.