PSA: Dealer installed "Apex Protect"

64,663 Views | 246 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by rilloaggie
Post removed:
by user
rilloaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
College Station Ford pushed these hard. Salesman used the "we cant remove" line. Very happy I didn't end up buying from them. That was a tiny portion of the crap sandwich that dealership was. Worst experience I have ever dealt with while car shopping.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
third coast.. said:

Would a 2013 f 150 have one?

Not likely.
chloelee
I believe a large number of Keating owned dealerships push these on customers by preloading.
EMY92
AG
I had the opposite experience at CS Ford. It was due to the salesman. Very easy to work with.

He moved to Kansas after his wife got a residency there after med school.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
FYI - when I bought my last car it was at a Keating Auto dealership. The finance guy told me that Keating owns (in some form or fashion) APEX and it's not a choice to have it on their vehicles. I say this for anyone who gets a car at a Keating dealership you have it whether you realize it or not.

Here is a list of Keating Auto dealerships:
https://www.keatingauto.com/
ChoppinDs40
AG
So if I have a new '21 F150 with the FordPass thing, I'm SOL?
rilloaggie
AG
You must not have had Gene. CS Ford was the first dealership I visited and I told him as much, and that I planned on shopping around. They had the exact truck I was looking for (and that I bought elsewhere a week later) so I told Gene to get me a price. He said sure and asked me to fill out some paperwork. I told him that my credit was frozen due to ID theft and that I didn't want it run until we had a deal and I had it unfrozen. He says sure, won't run it until we have a deal so I went ahead and filled it out. He gave me a verbal price and I went on shopping.

I kept in touch with him and gave him the opportunity to match another dealership who gave me a written, out the door price. I exchanged 5-6 emails with the guy asking for his out the door price and got "my printer is broken", "scanner isn't working", and finally "if I give you a price over email you won't come back to the dealership, just come in and we can talk". I told him thanks but no thanks and bought a truck elsewhere.

Well a few weeks later I get a letter in the mail giving me notice that CS Ford had run my credit even though he said he wouldn't. Glad it was frozen and I didn't get an extra hard pull on it. I am sure just by filling the paperwork out I agreed to some small print that says they can run your credit but having a salesman flat out lie and run credit without a deal, after saying he wouldn't is enough for me to tell anyone I know to avoid that place.
The Fife
2000 Celica bought new at Champion Toyota in Austin and no APEX. Guess they weren't a thing back then.

Gotta check the Acura sometime unless 2007 is also too old.
dubi
AG
AGGODDESS said:

FYI - when I bought my last car it was at a Keating Auto dealership. The finance guy told me that Keating owns (in some form or fashion) APEX and it's not a choice to have it on their vehicles. I say this for anyone who gets a car at a Keating dealership you have it whether you realize it or not.

That is why my 2019 Hyundai had one.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AGGODDESS said:

Yeah, the CEO of APEX is chummy with the Keating family, so no telling.....not sure they have ownership, but its probably another lie to get the buyer to play along...LOL
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

So if I have a new '21 F150 with the FordPass thing, I'm SOL?
You can turn your journeys off and even deactivate fordpass if you dont want it. Just unplug the roof antenna.

AgCPA95
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

AGGODDESS said:

Yeah, the CEO of APEX is chummy with the Keating family, so no telling.....not sure they have ownership, but its probably another lie to get the buyer to play along...LOL
A search of some public records looks like ownership is likely common as all of these of these pop on the same address in Victoria, TX:

Tropacaval Media LLC (dba Keating Auto Group)
Keating Auto Group
Apex Protection, Inc.

All have Ben Keating as Principal, President or member.

texsn95
AG
rilloaggie said:

College Station Ford pushed these hard. Salesman used the "we cant remove" line. Very happy I didn't end up buying from them. That was a tiny portion of the crap sandwich that dealership was. Worst experience I have ever dealt with while car shopping.
Same with us at Keating Nissan when we were browsing new Armadas. What a scummy dealership.

Edit: Just saw the posts above about Keating, figures.
Jbob04
AG
I just picked up my new company vehicle today and it has the elo gps tracker in it. Not sure if I should take it out since our company vehicles go through a leasing company. Thoughts?
The Fife
Why not just pull its fuse?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
This seems to basically say they're all under the same ownership umbrella, unless I'm misunderstanding it - https://www.keatingcareers.com/about-us/

Looks like Ben Keating is an Aggie - this thread could turn fun!
DiskoTroop

The blue thing? This is a '17 4Runner
Jbob04
AG
The Fife said:

Why not just pull its fuse?

I may give that a try and see if I get an email about it being disconnected.
jrrhouston98
AG
Just checked my '19 F150 and I'm clear.
Furlock Bones
AG
As mentioned you should have a white OB2 connection. I just checked my wife's 4Runner. It's a 2016. White connection as 1ags mentioned. But I do have that blue thing. Think that is normal.

grimace07
AG
Kahu is another brand. https://www.spireon.com/kahu/

Dealers use them to manage inventory, as well as collect usage data to send service reminders.

Anyone have these in their car/truck?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

The blue thing? This is a '17 4Runner
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Jbob04 said:

I just picked up my new company vehicle today and it has the elo gps tracker in it. Not sure if I should take it out since our company vehicles go through a leasing company. Thoughts?
Whos the leasing company?

ELement, Wheels, ARI, Merchants?
Jbob04
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Jbob04 said:

We've always used element but have recently switched to using LeasePlan.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Jbob04 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Jbob04 said:

We've always used element but have recently switched to using LeasePlan.
Most of these guys are all using Geotab and Network fleet.

Was your car an ordered unit or lot unit?
Jbob04
AG
It was ordered and built.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Jbob04 said:

I'd remove it. If it was a problem, They'll let you know.
Jbob04
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Jbob04 said:

I'd remove it. If it was a problem, They'll let you know.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking
CanyonAg77
AG
I like the pull-the-fuse method. Seems like less work and still effective
The Fife
I'd say replace it with a bad fuse if he really wants to screw with them
dsvogel05
AG
Looks like I'm in the clear on the new Yukon. Saw the ODB with the blue clip. Need to check my '15 boost.
bedofbrass33
AG
I feel like a sucker. New to me Tundra came with an "anti-theft" device. Didn't bother questioning it. Can't remember if they charged for it or not. Mac Haik in League City. Grabbed pics yesterday morning of this fuse box. Will remove it today.

Jbob04
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I pulled the fuse on mine this morning but it is still lit up. Guess I'm going to have to take it all the way out.
CanyonAg77
AG
Jbob04 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I pulled the fuse on mine this morning but it is still lit up. Guess I'm going to have to take it all the way out.

Weird. Has to have more than one power source.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.