Windshield Replacement - Insurance or Not

1,979 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Earth Rider
High Functioning Moron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need the windshield of our Mazda CX-5 replaced and had a question about using insurance to replace it. We have comprehensive coverage with a $500 deductible so it would be covered. If we go through insurance will our rates be affected or is it just covered?

First quote was for $800+ so we would save a few hundred bucks. Any suggestions for a replacement in Houston?
aggiecody06
Call Tomball Glass and get a quote. They do remote install all across Houston usually just $27 trip charge.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I don't. Pay out-of-pocket.
combat wombat™
AG
We got dropped into county mutual this year because we had several "not at fault" claims and one at fault claim in the last 5 years. That included a windshield. I would figure out how much more it's going to be to pay it all yourself. I wouldn't do it to save $200-300.
Rexter
Juan's Auto Glass on 249
agdaddy04
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I should have. I didn't realize that even getting chips fixed hits your claim number, guess I was naive in that. Learned my lesson now.
ComeAndTakeIt
Consider a non-OEM windshield also. I have had one replaced on a Jeep and it was half the price and looks great.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I just used a company called Windshields R Us last week (out of pocket) and saved $150+ over SafeLight for a non-OEM windshield on my F150.

Had never heard of them but saw a van driving near my neighborhood so decided to see what their pricing was....overall great experience.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Just had mine done by my new glass
Guy. Even cheaper than Apple.
RED AG 98
AG
Contact info? Did you go with OEM glass or aftermarket?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Contact info? Did you go with OEM glass or aftermarket?

I used fuyao. They opened a factory here in the USA and are OEMing for everyone.

Quality Glass. (832) 893-9867 Anilo is the owner. Tell him Wes with the Ford Lightning sent you.
BrazosDog02
AG
agdaddy04 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I should have. I didn't realize that even getting chips fixed hits your claim number, guess I was naive in that. Learned my lesson now.

Damn, never noticed any issue. I've had ~30 chips fixed and 6 OeM windshield replaced ON 3 trucks over the years. I abuse the **** out of insurance if I can.
Sazerac
AG
Mailbox full. He out of business?

Any other recs?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Sazerac said:

Mailbox full. He out of business?

Any other recs?

Text him.
Sazerac
AG
Did that yesterday. No response. VM full. Doesn't bode well…. Have apple glass on the schedule. $300+ for a passenger window install.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Sazerac said:

Did that yesterday. No response. VM full. Doesn't bode well…. Have apple glass on the schedule. $300+ for a passenger window install.

That's too bad.
water turkey
It's a claim and you will get dinged come renewal. So is a tow or rent car thru insurance.
n_touch
water turkey said:

It's a claim and you will get dinged come renewal. So is a tow or rent car thru insurance.
Basically anytime you choose to use a service that you pay for they will penalize you.
water turkey
n_touch said:

water turkey said:

Basically anytime you choose to use a service that you pay for they will penalize you.

Yeah, I learned this the hard way with tow and rent car through insurance….
Earth Rider
AG
It was below my deductible. So I just paid for it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.