Car for a terrible driver?

3,419 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by zooguy96
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Minivan.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Texker
AG
MikesFamousJava said:

Subaru Forester. Great safety features, great visibility, great AWD system, good cargo capacity for its size, good fuel economy, reliable. Side benefit: dudes won't hit on your wife 'cause they'll assume she's a lesbian (I kid, I kid). My wife and my 2nd daughter both drive Foresters and love them. We got our daughter that car for the same reason…she'd had multiple wrecks and we wanted her to have all the safety features. I drive an Outback BTW, so its safe to say that we're Subaru fans. Our other 2 daughters drive Mazda CX-5s, which are nice also.

The visibility in the Forester is outstanding. Great car.
combat wombat™
AG
How the heck do you total a 4Runner in a slow speed collision??

As a mom who drives three kids all the time, keeping them safe is important. If she is getting into wrecks because she's distracted by her phone she needs serious intervention before she really hurts someone.

The driving classes should be considered.

satexas
AG
kag00 said:

Wife just totaled her 4Runner. It was the third accident in about 6 months (backing into a post and hit a construction barrel). I fully suspect that she will wreck the next one as well and am looking to find something with all the safety feature while also being something that I won't get too angry about when it is wrecked in the future. Requirements are that it can fit 2 teenage boys in the back seat.

Edit: all of these are low speed accidents so the avoidance systems should help.

I know you're probably tired of the comments - but seriously, 3 accidents in 6 months means you need to SERIOUSLY find out what's going on - whether it be a cell phone issue or other distractions. And if you have kids - do it for them.

This is very, very, very abnormal.

Not trying to preach, not trying to act exasperated - but seriously, you gotta do something besides replacing cars here... you've been very lucky that SO FAR they've been just low-speed collisions...
kag00
AG
There are some things that may be contributing that we are looking into. The frequency is not lost on anyone.
satexas
AG
kag00 said:

There are some things that may be contributing that we are looking into. The frequency is not lost on anyone.
Enzomatic
I struggle with this topic, as I've heard the same from parents of teenagers, that really bothered me. I remember a guy at church growing up who would talk about his plan for his teenage daughter once she hit 16. His plan was to get her the biggest and toughest suv he could find so that she'd be safe when she inevitably plowed through someone. I kept quiet, but thought to myself, "wtf?!?!" Seriously? You'd be ok with her ramming through someone and potentially killing them just to assure that she'd be safe? Knowing she'd be the one causing the accident, and accepting that scenario? But it's ok, since she's safe? Good god, looking back I'm actually pretty pissed off at that logic. I understand wanting your little princess to be safe. But how about we do something about the cause of the issue? Like teach her to freaking drive maybe? Or if she is so dangerous, don't let her behind the wheel at all…?

For me, a good solid vehicle that can take a beating, but isn't overly big where it would hurt someone who is rammed into, and with good safety features, is the right choice. Please, for the love of god, don't do what that guy did. Don't give her a tank to keep her safe, knowing others are put into harms way.
zooguy96
How about have her take a defensive driving class, especially if this is a recurrent problem?
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.