AGM batteries?

1,349 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
AgRN16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Automotive board. Thought I'd seek some of your expert opinion. I have a 2019 TRD Pro 4runner. My original stock battery is near its last leg, and I am looking to replace/upgrade it before some long road trips with the family this summer. Was thinking to get an AGM battery, and one I am considering heavily is the Odyssey Group 24F Perfomance battery.

Any thoughts on AGM batteries in general, and odyssey in particular? Any recommendations of different AGM battery that may be better?

Before it comes up, I know the vehicle alternator/fuse box needs a booster to up the charging profile to keep AGM batteries happy and have already ordered one in anticipation of the switch to AGM.

Thanks in advance!!
fixer
well you covered the main concern that I was going to offer up.

MouthBQ98
AG
I've never noticed much difference to be honest. I've used both in my vehicles and they both seemed to do about the same, in day to day use.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Seems like overkill to me for a 4Runner. I went old school lead acid on my Highlander and did a stop-start delete at the same time.
AgRN16
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Seems like overkill to me for a 4Runner. I went old school lead acid on my Highlander and did a stop-start delete at the same time.

How so? I have some auxiliary lighting with plans for more and likely to add a dometic fridge in the rear in near future. will be going on regular long camping trips and back roads multiple times this spring/summer and into the coming years.
Complete Idiot
I like buying fancy batteries and tires for my vehicles, it's an expensive habit.

I really like the X2 batteries. I don't worry about running a fridge or the stereo off it while at the beach or parked for a while.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/battery/car-and-truck/toyota/4runner/2019/trd-pro/v6-4.0l-gas/sli24***mdp
Dill-Ag13
AG
AgRN16 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

How so? I have some auxiliary lighting with plans for more and likely to add a dometic fridge in the rear in near future. will be going on regular long camping trips and back roads multiple times this spring/summer and into the coming years.
Get a secondary battery with a solar trickle charge. Are these lights running when the engine is? If so that's alternator load.
AgRN16
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

AgRN16 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Get a secondary battery with a solar trickle charge. Are these lights running when the engine is? If so that's alternator load.

Yes they are mostly used when engine is on but at times may need to be run with engine off (think camp setup, nighttime lighting without burning fuel). Also for possible running car stereo at camp when engine is off.
AgRN16
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I like buying fancy batteries and tires for my vehicles, it's an expensive habit.

I really like the X2 batteries. I don't worry about running a fridge or the stereo off it while at the beach or parked for a while.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/battery/car-and-truck/toyota/4runner/2019/trd-pro/v6-4.0l-gas/sli24***mdp

Checked this out and did some in-depth research. Re-branded Northstar with same 4 year warranty and 840 cca?! Yes please! Plan to go with this. Thank you sir!!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Buy the cheapest Costco or Sam's battery and move on.
D Nauti
My Diesel Cruze came wit an AGM Battery and did weird things if you put a regular battery in it. That's the only car I've had that required that battery. I have put AGM's in different things, and it was always to run sum kind of extra electronics, if you aren't doing that there is no need that justifies the extra cost.
aggies4life
AG
This! Prob sams since it's. 3 year free replacement vs Costco now being a 3 year pro rated….
SCHTICK00
AG
What you're doing is the same as modern wake boats. Get a second battery that stays charged but doesn't run any auxiliary power. It's always hot to start the engine.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aggies4life said:

This! Prob sams since it's. 3 year free replacement vs Costco now being a 3 year pro rated….

They changed it?? Dang!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.