Happy San Jacinto Day!

959 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Build It
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll not forget Goliad, the Alamo, and the murderous despot named Santa Anna. We should have hung him on the spot. Letting him live cost many more lives later. One of my grandfathers took a bullet in Zacatecas during the Mexican war because we didn't finish the job.

Great reading about the battle itself, but the stories of after the battle are awesome. They would run carriage rides out to the battle field so tourists could look at the bones of the the dead Mexicans still on the battlefield. Santa Ana refused to have his men collect the bodies.

The owner of the land at the time begged Sam Houston to get rid of the bodies because her cows were eating the bones and no one would buy them.

I grew up a stones throw from the monument. My dad tells me in the 50's you could still see the burnt piling from Vince's bridge they burned to slow any retreat. I've been at the same spot many times but never saw it.

The monument itself is incredible. The last time I was there the exhibit was about building it, not about the history of the battle. Hopefully that's changed.

The one thing I don't like is the doors of the monument have the six flags of Texas in them. This makes no sense to me, why have the confederate flag there? That happened well after this battle.

Great day! Great win for Texas. Hoping we can keep Texas a bit longer and not give her to the current invading forces.

nortex97
AG
Gig 'em. The Library of Congress map page is a good one to get lost in, for those interested.
Build It
AG
We used to get the day off of school and there was a parade. Times have changed.

Martin Cash
AG
Build It said:

I'll not forget Goliad, the Alamo, and the murderous despot named Santa Anna. We should have hung him on the spot. Letting him live cost many more lives later. One of my grandfathers took a bullet in Zacatecas during the Mexican war because we didn't finish the job.

I understand your sentiment, but had Houston killed him at San Jacinto, we may still be part of Mexico today.
Build It
AG
The leaders at the time certainly shared your opinion.

"As many Texans feared, Santa Anna would live to fight again another day.
In retrospect, it is surprising that Santa Anna survived the battle and his subsequent capture. Many in the Texan camp called for his death. However, political concerns dictated that his life be spared by the officials of the Republic of Texas so they could use his influence as Mexico's president to force concessions from him. Even though the Treaty of Velasco would be denounced by the Central government in Mexico City, Santa Anna alive served the Texans better than Santa Anna dead. Six months would pass before he would finally be released to return to Mexico."

https://officialalamo.medium.com/the-capture-of-santa-anna-83454a5ffdc5#:~:text=Many%20in%20the%20Texan%20camp,to%20force%20concessions%20from%20him.
Rongagin71
AG
Old love song played as a parody as Sam Houston's men
lined up preparing to attack at San Jacinto.
BrazosBendHorn
Also on this date:

Fighter ace Manfred von Richthofen, the famed Red Baron of Germany, shot down in France in a sector manned by Australian troops. He is killed by a single bullet. AFC Squadron No. 3 buries the Baron with military honors in Bertangles, France.

Geraldo Rivera opens the vault of Al Capone.
And finds absolutely nothing.
Madman
AG
I have been told by several masons that Santa Anna was also a mason along with several of the Texan officers and that played a part in him not being killed

No idea if that is true.
one safe place
If the invasion of our southern border continues, San Jacinto Day will be outlawed. Instead, every town will have women in those long colorful dresses, lifting the hem and dancing in the street to Mexican music, and the guys in huge sombreros.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

The one thing I don't like is the doors of the monument have the six flags of Texas in them. This makes no sense to me, why have the confederate flag there? That happened well after this battle.

So they shouldn't have the Lone Star flag or the American flag, either?
CanyonAg77
AG
Madman said:

I have been told by several masons that Santa Anna was also a mason along with several of the Texan officers and that played a part in him not being killed

No idea if that is true.

Not sure about that. I've recently read some about the Texas/Santa Fe expedition of 1841 that was a train wreck. The commander of the few Texans who actually made it to Santa Fe supposedly surrendered to the Mexican Commander on the promise of fair treatment, as both were Masons.

The Texans were not treated fairly.
Build It
AG
My issue is the fact that the six flags are historically inaccurate for the monument.

You can also add on that Sam Houston was vehemently opposed to the confederacy.

Not to mention that that flag in modern day now represents white supremacy.

Plenty of reasons to replace those doors. Sam would have wanted it that way too.
JABQ04
AG
Soooo…..the only flag should be the Mexican flag, since even though we were in open rebellion from
Mexico we were still apart of Mexico on April 21, 1836. No longer part of Spain or France, not quite RoT, and to early for USA or CSA. To me it's like Sully and the idiots wanting to tear his statue down. For better or worse he (and Texas) were part of the Confederacy. No matter how much whining, pearl clutching or Facebook ranting will ever ever change that. I could step back and see your argument if the San Jac monument (and Sully) were erected strictly for the purpose of a lost cause memorial, but they're not. San Jac just has the six flags that flew over our state. Sully just says Brigadier General CSA. Of course I'm sure the Texas Historical Commision will love to hear your updated concept for how to improve our monument.
CanyonAg77
AG
Build It said:

Narrow view, and historically 8gnorant. Slavery was legal under the Republic for 9 years, the USA for 16 years and the CSA for less than 4.

The KKK, at the height of its political power in the 1920s, carried the US flag
Deerdude
CanyonAg77 said:

Build It said:

Narrow view, and historically 8gnorant. Slavery was legal under the Republic for 9 years, the USA for 16 years and the CSA for less than 4.

The KKK, at the height of its political power in the 1920s, carried the US flag

Revisionist history to attempt to appease snowflakes is an effort in futility. Leave history alone. We should learn from it.

My ancestors including those whose names are etched on San Jacinto monument, also fought in War of Northern Aggression, yet never owned a slave.
Build It
AG
At that time in history there were not six flags over Texas. If any flags should be there it should be the flags of the Texas Republic. Why not have a picture of the Astrodome there it's just about as relevant.

Build It
AG
But what does it have to do with the Battle of San Jacinto. Absolutely nothing.
CanyonAg77
AG
Build It said:

At that time in history there were not six flags over Texas. If any flags should be there it should be the flags of the Texas Republic

When the battle was fought there had been three. None of which were the Republic of Texas.

By the time the monument was built, there had been six. Deal with it
Deerdude
Build It said:

But what does it have to do with the Battle of San Jacinto. Absolutely nothing.

well the doors on the same building the names are on so there's a tie in
Build It
AG
We'll it seems I've been dealing with it my entire life so I'm sure I'll be Ok. But thanks for your guidance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.