Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Hopefully reasonable Longhorn perspective on realignment

3,363 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Kramer
RoseBowl38-37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice post BOB.

Do you not think the Aggies going to the SEC will greatly enhance the Texas recruiting possibilities for 'Bama, Fla, etc ?

I see our move West and the Aggie move East as a lose, lose situation for the Horns.
bovinevirus12
Wow, let me get this straight...

tu is scared to go to the SEC because they can't be the big dog.

tu is scared to play an SEC A&M.

A&M is not scared to go to the SEC, regardless of how tough the competition is.

A&M is not scared to continue playing tu regardless of conference affiliation.

Did I leave something out?

coachk07
Great post Burnt.

The one thing I don't agree with is that a UT "no move" to the SEC is about academics or lack thereof..

How in God's name did UT survive the last 10 years in the same conference with TT, OSU, and Kstate??

Come on man, you seem a little smarter than that to fall for that one.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Note that when I refered to "big dog" I didn't mean winning. Texas could do that in the sec. I meant that they couldnt be the puppet masters behind the scenes calling all the shots about revenue distibution, politics, etc.

No way all the other established schools let that happen.

And if the rivalry ends because Texas won't scedule a&m ooc then yes it would be because they were afraid of the potential future ramifications.

And I think everyone here understands that a&m will probably have to take their lumps in the sec. Only the true koolaide drinkers think immediate success awaits.
TigManinSC
quote:
The SEC is talking about 25-30 million a year with a restructured deal.

The PAC is talking 20.

The difference in 10 million a year is huge for A&M right now.

SEC is the best choice because of the economics.

Where are you getting this info from as I have not seen these figures mentioned and question the accuracy of this. To move from $17 to $25 million in a 14 team league would mean the addition of A&M and 1 other team is worth $112 million a year. That's a lot of jack and just wondering where you are hearing these figures mentioned.

By comparison, Notre Dame with its national TV following has a TV contract for football worth about $10 million a year.
McBuck
This is my very first post here. As the realignment turmoil bega to shift it's winds towards College Station, I began a search for some a good forum on Aggie football because I wanted to get a feel for what the Aggies may feel about all of this change, and to let the Aggies know some of what the SEC folks think about the new marriage. The very first post I read I felt the need to respond to. Being a southern gentleman, the need for defense is a first reaction to any slight against my SEC brethren. The gentleman who has referred to himself as "Burnt Orange" has thrown the gauntlet at any self respecting SEC member; he deserves no further attention, as he has shown the "sips," as I think you refer to UT as, to be just that: arrogance appaerntly reigns at Austin. While SEC members/fans/students, may on occasion watch a NASCAR race, and may open a beer or five, they do so with zeal and a physic book as reading pleasure. I believe deer hunting and bass fishing were left out though. So to welcome my "hopeful" new brothers to the SEC, I present the Texas A&M Aggies with the current Academic Progress Rates scores for approval. These score are of the SEC's and where the University of Texas would rank academically in the SEC. My guess is the the University of Texas Longhorns do not wish to be relegated to a seventh place finish academically, or athlectically. An annual whipping by Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, et al. would be difficult to swallow than sippin tea, now wouldn't it?
Aggies have the fortitude to jump into the fire, and the SEC welcomes backbone more than they do T-bone.

Vanderbilt 975

Georgia 973

Florida 971

LSU 965

Alabama 957

Kentucky 951
Texas 947
Tennessee 944

South Carolina 938

Mississippi State 939

Auburn 935

Arkansas 930

Mississippi 921
coachk07

great first post buck!

btw, what the heck is wrong with Nascar?? Is it because they are allowed to and do pray before every race! How dare them!

[This message has been edited by coachk07 (edited 6/13/2010 2:57p).]
McBuck
Personally I do not indulge in the NASCAR subculture. If I wanted to watch rednecks drive in circles making a left hand turns, then I would go to Atlanta and sit on the I-285 westbound loop The wrecks are much more spectacular and frequent, and the fights contain a great deal more viloence.
DirtyAg
AG
We'd be immediatly sucessful in the SEC in every sport but football. Or at least competitive (sp?).

Football is all that matters tho' and that's what scares me.

McBuck
Agreed to apoint. The Ags would have to be patient with the coaching staff, until the Ags acclimated to an SEC recruiting culture, and the recruits acclimated to the Ags as an SEC school. The recruit pool will become much larger for you, and you would begin to see more kids coming from areas new to you. ie: South Georgia, south Florida, Fla. panhandle, Atlanta. I hesitate to say Louisiana, because I would bet you get a lot of kids form there anyway. I would bet you will hurt LSU in recruiting more than any other SEC school though. But there is enough talent in Louisiana for two schools anyway. ( Les can't seem to do anything with it.
Dusty_Dawg_Ag
S
Not a bad post for the OP. Bottom line, tu is doesn't want to slum with rednecks in the SEC. tu doesn't want us to go to SEC and steal State of Texas recruits. If we go, they would be scared to play us due to loss of potential recruits. They will drop the rivilary and take their toys and go home because we didn't do what they wanted. Okay, we get it, now let's go to the SEC and Tuck Fexas!
NoHo Hank
AG
Texas abandoning the game isn't really gonna affect our recruiting much.

I mean playing Texas is a high profile game, especially the way it's set up on Tday. But let's get real: if we are inviting potential recruits to Kyle to watch us host Florida, Bama, LSU, Auburn, Tenn, Georgia etc, etc, we will have more than enough high-profile games with which to impress recruits. Kids aren't gonna walk away from Kyle, with their ears ringing from spending 3 hours with a rabid, sell-out crowd, thinking "Well that was bland. Too bad they didn't play Texas."

Quite simply, we won't need the TDay game to help us out with recruiting; we will get plenty of exposure. If we can string together 3 or 4 8-9 win regular seasons (and a few bowl victories), we will be just fine no matter what yall do.

Blackballing us isn't going to change that. All it's gonna do is lose both schools some money since neither of us will have THE premiere time slot on TDay and all the revenue it brings.

Another thing: the academics argument is garbage. I mean good lord, just look at your entourage. If you go the Pac 10 the way things are now, you'll have in tow: 2 tier 3 schools (OSU & TT) and 1 school ranked in the 100s, toward the bottom of tier 1. You'll be joining up with Az & Az St, which, while they are tier one, are toward the lower edge, just like a lot of the SEC schools.

The truth is that there won't be much difference at all academically.

[This message has been edited by john32f (edited 6/13/2010 3:39p).]
BurntOrangeBoy
By the way, I'm going to waste my last post on this but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

I've had more than my fair share of Death Burgers, I go to Fort Worth for the NASCAR races and even own Matt Kenseth gear (yes, give me crap over winning a championship without winning a race and missing the chase after starting hot many times, blah, blah, blah, at least we have Crown Royal now), and I chew Red Man. I'm well more like the SEC than I am like the Pac-10.

I'm just telling you what the academic tools who run everything at my school THINK.

And yes, I'm more scared of A&M in the SEC by themselves than I am of you with us in the PAC-XX.

It gives you something that WE DON'T HAVE. If you're in the Pac-XX there's nothing you can say that we can't and the power of the word THE in front of University of Texas, like it or agree with it or not, will always be powerful.

Though I think there's a greater chance you fade away if you're in the SEC there's always some slim chance you'll take over the state, and it's about like going to court instead of taking probation: Even if you think you're going to win, that 5% chance of going to jail and having your life ruined generally makes you opt for probation.

I don't THINK you'll take over if you go to the SEC, but the chance is there and that frightens me.

I KNOW we won't go to the SEC.

That's why, for US, I hope you follow us. For YOU, and WERE I YOU, I'd hightail it to the SEC tomorrow when the fax machines get turned on...
mackenzie23
Money talks. Think about how much revenue the Jerryworld Arkansas/TAMU game has generated, then extrapolate that for a non-conference Texas/TAMU game. No way either school would risk losing that revenue stream. Plus, the legislature is already involved and pushing for the 3 Texas schools to stay together. If A&M does go SEC, you best believe Texas feels pressure to keep the rivalry going for the revenue it brings to the state...
Kramer
AG
quote:
You get to keep playing Texas.

So are we supposed to say Thank You or something?

Either school would be foolish to dump this game. All this has done is gone a LONG way in reigniting this rivalry into it's pre-Bonfire days. If A&M does leave, the tu vs. A&M game will be RED HOT in November. And if tu gets their panties in a wad and refuses to schedule A&M OOC, the final installment of tu vs. A&M will be at Kyle Field in 2012. Talk about the end of the world. That would be a National Championship atmosphere. And if A&M somehow won, they'd have to call in the National Guard...to be designated drivers.

What A&M fan wouldn't pay huge money to attend the final game between Texas and A&M at Kyle Field? I get chills just thinking about it.

[This message has been edited by Kramer (edited 6/13/2010 4:02p).]
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.