***Young Americans Soccer thread***

82,944 Views | 730 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Rudyjax
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96
AG
That was fantastic. The keeper's face
TRM
AG
Antonee Robinson needs a heart procedure.

TRM
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/borussia-dortmund/story/4090347/inside-giovanni-reynas-life-at-dortmund-son-of-captain-america-on-wild-goals-hanging-with-haaland-and-shrinking-his-laundry

Gio Reyna looks back on the past 4 months.
Rudyjax
AG
texaggierm said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/borussia-dortmund/story/4090347/inside-giovanni-reynas-life-at-dortmund-son-of-captain-america-on-wild-goals-hanging-with-haaland-and-shrinking-his-laundry

Gio Reyna looks back on the past 4 months.
Came here to post that. Great article.

KCup17
AG
Hearing that Bayern is interested in Dest but Ajax is unwilling to sell.
TRM
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/hannover-96/story/4094634/report-us-youth-sebastian-soto-set-for-norwich-city-move-from-hannover

Quote:

U.S. youth international Sebastian Soto is set to move to English Premier League side Norwich City, according to German outlet Bild.

With Soto's contract at Hannover set to expire in a little over a month, he'll move on a free transfer, signing a three-year deal, according to the report. But because Soto's application for a work permit was denied, he'll be forced to go out on loan for the first year of the deal, and at present there is interest from German, Dutch and Belgian clubs.
oh no
AG
oh no
AG

"Remember why you went to A&M. It's life after the game. ...and I was fortunate to see the big picture then, and knowing that, 'hey, this game is going to end, if you get to play, great! If not, get that education'. A&M is a fraternity after school and the network is unbelievable." - Dat Nguyen
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Legal Custodian
AG
I know this is a little bit preaching to the choir, but I posted this in another thread and figured I'd post it here too. For context, I was trying to explain in the 1310 ticket thread on why I'm a Bayern fan, but then I went off on a tangent for US soccer and the Bundesliga in general. I'm getting way too excited for the next 7-9 years of US soccer:

Quote:

And Dortmund is a hard team not to like. Their academy is either the best or second best in the world, the only other one that might have a claim is Ajax. Gio Reyna's development is one that every US soccer fan needs to be following right now. 17 year old that has found his way into the starting lineup and by all accounts could be one of the best in Europe within the next 4-5 years. We are entering a golden generation when it comes to American players.

And the Bundesliga is the league to watch to follow them right now:

Chris Richards - CB - Bayern Munich - 19yr old who could easily find his way on the bench if not semi-starting role next year
Tyler Adams - CM - RB Leipzig - 21yr old starting
Gio Reyna - CAM - Borussia Dortmund - 17yr old starting
Weston McKennie - CM/CDM - FC Schalke - 21yr old starting
Zach Steffan - GK - Fortuna Dusseldorf - 25yr old starting (25 is young for a GK)
Josh Sargent - ST - Werder Bremen - 20yr old starting

Almost all of those guys will be starting on the US senior team within the next 2 years. And the top 3 will be playing in the Champions League next year against the top teams in Europe.

Then you throw in Pulisic, Sergino Dest (19yr old for Ajax who is rumored to be headed to a huge club this summer), and possibly De La Fuente (RB for Barcelona II) and the US team could be set for the next 7-9 years.

Legal Custodian
AG
Seriously though, what do you think our starting 11 will look like in 2-3 years? I'm having trouble filling out the formation, but the rest are a pretty safe bet, right? I think Sargent is probably the weakest one in the bunch

----------------------Sargent-----------------------
----Pulisic--------------------------???????---------
-------------------------------------------------------
----Tyler Adams--------------------Reyna------
----------------------McKennie--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
--????----Brooks-----Richards-----Dest-----
----------------------Steffan------------------------

I'm sure I'm getting way too ahead of myself.
Rudyjax
AG
Our best 11 according to https://www.transfermarkt.us/ has 2 players that aren't U23. Brooks and Steffens.
Rudyjax
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Seriously though, what do you think our starting 11 will look like in 2-3 years? I'm having trouble filling out the formation, but the rest are a pretty safe bet, right? I think Sargent is probably the weakest one in the bunch

----------------------Sargent-----------------------
----Pulisic--------------------------???????---------
-------------------------------------------------------
----Tyler Adams--------------------Reyna------
----------------------McKennie--------------------
--????----Brooks-----Richards-----Dest-----
----------------------Steffan------------------------

I'm sure I'm getting way too ahead of myself.

I'd add Weah or Morris or Soto. You're forgetting Llanez too.
Rudyjax
AG
20 year old Akinola with the Hat trick.
Out in Left Field
AG
Akinola with the hattie tonight
Rudyjax
AG
oh no
AG
Akinola was born in Detroit and has played for some USYNTs, but was raised in Canada and is eligible for Canada and Nigeria's Sr MNTs.
Bryan98
AG
oh no said:

Akinola was born in Detroit and has played for some USYNTs, but was raised in Canada and is eligible for Canada and Nigeria's Sr MNTs.

Damn, Nigeria's jerseys beat the piss out of the crap Nike forces on us every year. Tough to turn down playing for that shirt! Also a World Cup squad.
Rudyjax
AG
Bryan98 said:

oh no said:

Damn, Nigeria's jerseys beat the piss out of the crap Nike forces on us every year. Tough to turn down playing for that shirt! Also a World Cup squad.
Cap tie his ass and now!
KCup17
AG
The only real threat the US has is Canada. With the talent in the Nigerian soccer federation, no way they pull a forward from the MLS when they have loads of talent across Europe.
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

The only real threat the US has is Canada. With the talent in the Nigerian soccer federation, no way they pull a forward from the MLS when they have loads of talent across Europe.
True...we may be struggling, but we're still ahead of Canada.
oh no
AG
Rudyjax
AG
17 year old Kevin Paredes for DC United got subbed on and looked impressive. Hope BVB is watching.
jeffk
AG
Pretty interesting thread breaking down USMNT by classes. Easy to see why we've struggled to find consistent success at the senior level.

Rudyjax
AG
The most successful player is in the NFL. That's Lambo, right?
jeffk
AG
Yeah. Gig'em.
Rudyjax
AG
That 2007 class should have several core players as they are peak in their career.

I know transfermkt isn't the end all be all. Yet if you pick the highest valued starting 11, 9 are u23. The only 2 outside of U23 are Brooks and Steffens
tysker
AG
Quote:

best soccer player is Brek Shea
You could make an argument for Greg Garza but that's like deciding between Mountain Dew and Crab Juice
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

Quote:

You could make an argument for Greg Garza but that's like deciding between Mountain Dew and Crab Juice

Brek Shea would've been really good but he just couldn't/can't stay healthy.
jeffk
AG
Avoiding injuries is a huge part of having a successful career. I feel bad for him. He's struggled to find a place on a squad and improve his game over his years as a pro. We'll never really know what might have been for him.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Avoiding injuries is a huge part of having a successful career. I feel bad for him. He's struggled to find a place on a squad and improve his game over his years as a pro. We'll never really know what might have been for him.

Oh I agree. I also feel bad for him.
PatAg
AG
Superblood Wolfmoon said:

tysker said:

Quote:

Speaking as an FC Dallas fan, I dont know that this is a true statement. He is someone that could have been in the mix to be a quality sub for the national team without injuries, but he never really developed beyond fast on the wing at a point where he should have. That doesn't mean he is bad either, he was a good player.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Superblood Wolfmoon said:

tysker said:

Quote:

Speaking as an FC Dallas fan, I dont know that this is a true statement. He is someone that could have been in the mix to be a quality sub for the national team without injuries, but he never really developed beyond fast on the wing at a point where he should have. That doesn't mean he is bad either, he was a good player.

You don't think missing as much time as he did do to injuries didn't affect his growth?

He should be in his prime right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.