Messi to the MLS

15,068 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Out in Left Field
Agthatbuilds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jeffk
AG
Depending on what you believe, he might be playing for Miami as early as August. I'll believe it when I see it.
aTmAg
AG
I may have to start watching MLS games now.
jeffk
AG
aTmAg said:

trollololololol
AgRyan04
I'm like the above, I'll believe it when I see it. This is all stemming from an Argentine journalist....not from any club or directly from Messi's camp.

I just can't imagine he is going to turn down both Barca AND the $1.2B Saudi deal for MLS.

He needs to go back to Barca....thats where his heart is.

Also, Austin FC play Inter Miami away on July ....Houston has already hosted them and Dallas plays them away.
aTmAg
AG
jeffk said:

aTmAg said:

trollololololol
How is that a troll? I will probably get Apple TV and watch.
akm91
AG

Looks like Messi IS coming to MLS
Agthatbuilds
Thays a pretty bad photoshop

Also!

jeffk
AG
aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

aTmAg said:

trollololololol

We're all familiar with your posting history regarding soccer, the MLS, and tangentially-related politics at this point.
deadbq03
AG
There was a strong rumor that he'd get loaned to Barca from Miami… is that dead?
aTmAg
AG
jeffk said:

aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

aTmAg said:

trollololololol

We're all familiar with your posting history regarding soccer, the MLS, and tangentially-related politics at this point.
I've expressed the widely held (and correct) view that USWNT shouldn't get near the salaries of the men, and that they are woke idiots.

What does that have to do with MLS or Messi?
aTmAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

There was a strong rumor that he'd get loaned to Barca from Miami… is that dead?
What would be in it for Miami? The only reason I see that being a thing is if Messi demanded it.
deadbq03
AG
I had to hit up the twitters myself… and found this:

And this is why I still can't watch… single entity made this possible… the entire league is supporting this move.

Who am I kidding - it's Messi - I'll absolutely watch.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, the way MLS bends over backwards to lure some of the big name guys is wild. Completely foreign compared to the structure of other leagues.
aTmAg
AG
It's worth it for Messi. I read that 1.5 million people tried to pull tickets for the recent Argentina friendly in a 83,000 seat stadium.
Dre_00
When you're a fan of a team that will never reap the benefit of this maneuvering, it's infuriating. But...there's no chance he plays in MLS without this maneuvering. I don't like it per se but I understand it. This is the only way that the 10th best league (at best) in the world can get arguably the greatest soccer player ever to play in their league.
Aston94
AG
Personally I love how MLS is willing to look at things as an entity for growth of the US game as opposed to every team just trying to win the league. Getting Messi, Beckham, Ibra all to play in the states is awesome for the sport. Just look at the soccer trajectory in the US and it is clearly headed in the right direction.

Dre is right, the league is at best 10th best in the world, but it is also one of the youngest leagues in the world, and continues to climb in value. The fact that the Beckham's and Messi's of the world want to be a part of US Soccer and help it grow is really a great sign for the future.
TheMasterplan
Potential to own a portion of the team is as well is awesome. Only in America could a contract like that be constructed.
deadbq03
AG
Dre_00 said:

When you're a fan of a team that will never reap the benefit of this maneuvering, it's infuriating. But...there's no chance he plays in MLS without this maneuvering. I don't like it per se but I understand it. This is the only way that the 10th best league (at best) in the world can get arguably the greatest soccer player ever to play in their league.
I agree 100%. This is good for the league.

But it solidifies my complete apathy toward getting emotionally invested in any particular club, because if the MLS Borg decides your club is going to suck, your club is going to suck and there's nothing your "owner" can do about it.
oragator
Apple probably said "here, take our money".
I assume that pass is or will be available outside the US, can you imagine how many they are gonna sell?
Kampfers
AG
With any luck, Houston and Miami meet in the USOC finals and Houston wins the coin flip to host.
AgRyan04
Dre_00 said:

This.

And it makes me even more infuriated that the Galaxy fans don't take into consideration that the league office is more deserving of those stars on their jerseys than anyone in their organization
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I like this move. I might watch a couple games. I wonder if there is any money left to get anybody else to come over. Hopefully they can springboard this into continued viewership. As it sits, when Messi is done, so is my interest in MLS.
deadbq03
AG
A whole lot of rumormongers and/or wishful thinkers are saying Miami is try to get Suarez, Alba, and/or Busquets.
jeffk
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I like this move. I might watch a couple games. I wonder if there is any money left to get anybody else to come over. Hopefully they can springboard this into continued viewership. As it sits, when Messi is done, so is my interest in MLS.

I'm sure there will be a good number of people that feel exactly the same, but the bet is that of the people who turnout or tune in to watch Messi, a good amount of them will stick around and/or watch games he's not featured in.
i is smart
AG
Messi was too scared to announce in time to play against Birmingham. The guy can't do it on a hot summer day in Alabama.
tysker
AG
Might explain the recent half season option for MLS Season Pass. Apple was apparently already happy with the product and subs, this can only make it more appealing
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Aston94 said:

Personally I love how MLS is willing to look at things as an entity for growth of the US game as opposed to every team just trying to win the league. Getting Messi, Beckham, Ibra all to play in the states is awesome for the sport. Just look at the soccer trajectory in the US and it is clearly headed in the right direction.

Dre is right, the league is at best 10th best in the world, but it is also one of the youngest leagues in the world, and continues to climb in value. The fact that the Beckham's and Messi's of the world want to be a part of US Soccer and help it grow is really a great sign for the future.
Did I read that the LAFC was worth $900,million!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
AgGrad99
AG
Dre_00 said:

Exactly how I feel.

It raises the tide for the league. And like we now see with Beckham, it might help lure more top flight players to the MLS down the line (with him as ownership).

But sucks he's not on 'my' team.
jeffk
AG
Both LAFC and LA United are evaluated at upwards of $900 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2023/02/02/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-clubs-2023-lafc-is-the-first-billion-dollar-franchise/?sh=3a00d7b75324
floridAG
AG
As an Orlando City STM, Messi to Ft Lauderdale is a mixed bag. There is no love between those from South and Central Florida and I'm happy for them to lose every game they play. But, it also means our family will be five rows from the pitch when Messi plays at Exploria in late August. It will be even bigger than when Chicharito was here a month ago. Bigger than the stories I heard of when Pele was with the Cosmos in the late 70s and he came to Tampa. My parents took me but I was too young to remember it.

Yes, Messi is playing for the enemy. But everywhere they go will be a sellout. When they play at Q2 (which is a great place to watch a match), Austin will find creative ways to fit in even more crazy fans. It will be nuts. Same in Houston and Dallas. I'll still hate the team but watch every game he plays in.
deadbq03
AG
deadbq03 said:

A whole lot of rumormongers and/or wishful thinkers are saying Miami is try to get Suarez, Alba, and/or Busquets.
Some legit smoke now…

PatAg
AG
floridAG said:

As an Orlando City STM, Messi to Ft Lauderdale is a mixed bag. There is no love between those from South and Central Florida and I'm happy for them to lose every game they play. But, it also means our family will be five rows from the pitch when Messi plays at Exploria in late August. It will be even bigger than when Chicharito was here a month ago. Bigger than the stories I heard of when Pele was with the Cosmos in the late 70s and he came to Tampa. My parents took me but I was too young to remember it.

Yes, Messi is playing for the enemy. But everywhere they go will be a sellout. When they play at Q2 (which is a great place to watch a match), Austin will find creative ways to fit in even more crazy fans. It will be nuts. Same in Houston and Dallas. I'll still hate the team but watch every game he plays in.

I hope Messi embraces the US the way Pele reportedly did. From all accounts he brought his best AND did all the non-soccer activity type stuff as well. We'll see
Texagsubscriber
Fun fact: Freddy Adu is younger than Messi. What could have been? Both stars playing out their final years in the mls.
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
wangus12
AG
Ticket prices are now in the 1000s for Miami away games

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.