MLS withdrawing Top Teams from US Open Cup

3,302 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by aggiesoccer#1fan
ColoradoMooseHerd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MLS Commissioner Don Garber criticized the state of the Tournament and stated the MLS teams will no longer send their top teams to play and instead will be sending MLS Next Pro teams.

I think this is a bunch of crap. I believe this tournament is a fan favorite and that most people like to see the David vs. Goliath matches that it allows. It also allows the lower level team fans to get excited and see the MLS teams against there. I believe this tournament is good for the overall development of the US fan base for soccer. I have to believe that this is really a way of protecting MLS teams from the embarrassment of having to play USL teams and possibly losing. I don't think they like the run that the Sacramento Republic made two years ago.

US Soccer continues to blow opportunities to grow the US fan base for soccer overall.
Dre_00
Sounds like Don is just pissed it's a tournament/revenue stream he can't control. Wonder if he tries to start up a MLS version of this like what the NBA did this year.
carl spacklers hat
Wow, what a terrible move.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
carl spacklers hat
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

MLS Commissioner Don Garber criticized the state of the Tournament and stated the MLS teams will no longer send their top teams to play and instead will be sending MLS Next Pro teams.

US Soccer continues to blow opportunities to grow the US fan base for soccer overall.
FIFY
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
jeffk
AG
Bad move
TXAggie2011
AG
Forum Troll
AG
Quote:

I have to believe that this is really a way of protecting MLS teams from the embarrassment of having to play USL teams and possibly losing. I don't think they like the run that the Sacramento Republic made two years ago.

This is it.
Out in Left Field
AG
Dre_00 said:

Sounds like Don is just pissed it's a tournament/revenue stream he can't control. Wonder if he tries to start up a MLS version of this like what the NBA did this year.

Ya we already have that. It's call Leagues Cup.
Dre_00
That's not a domestic tournament...or are they changing the format and I'm just not aware?
deadbq03
AG
AustinScubaAg
AG
Wow. This is what makes the FA cup etc worth watching. Sure the EPL teams may play backups but the games mean a ton to the lower league teams.
PatAg
AG
This is one of the few rich soccer traditions we have, that align with what the rest of the world does. We should be embracing it more.
I'd love for MLS teams to just place their entire roster on their respective Next teams for the Open cup games. They have the ability to do that if they want
PatAg
AG
That said, I think a lot of the people getting up in arms about this were also not watching/attending US Open Cup games.
ColoradoMooseHerd
PatAg said:

That said, I think a lot of the people getting up in arms about this were also not watching/attending US Open Cup games.

I have attended every US Open Cup game in Sacramento the last few years. I am not going to travel for it but will attend the home games.
Rudyjax
AG
Horses***** Trying to starve the lower level teams.
BigfootYancey
AG
What an idiot. I have tried to get interested in MLS but the quality is not watchable for me. The sole attraction of MLS is to provide a 'major league' team in small cities or to be a niche event for aging hipsters in large cities. I guess you can also sometimes watch age 35+ top players get out of shape and decline. In terms of quality it is a lot closer to USL than to EPL.
jeffk
AG
So this decision moved you from "MLS is unwatchable" to "MLS is unwatchable for real tho?"
BigfootYancey
AG
I guess so, yes. In addition to unwatchable it makes me feel more strongly that their leadership annoys me. I also think that things like domestic cups and promotion/relegation would make it more interesting (not necessarily more watchable).
Rudyjax
AG
I can't watch a random MLS match, but I like watching FC Dallas.
Heck, i have a hard time watching any random match without rooting interest.
And it's not just teams, it's players.

And I would like to watch a cinderella story.
Rudyjax
AG
SydB92
AG
Rudy beat me to the punch..
deadbq03
AG
Honestly, it's not hardā€¦ just do what Europe does. Play depth/kids in the early rounds, and if you get beat, who really cares? The further you advance, the more you can start caring and playing starters.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

Honestly, it's not hardā€¦ just do what Europe does. Play depth/kids in the early rounds, and if you get beat, who really cares? The further you advance, the more you can start caring and playing starters.
exactly. play your kids that dont' even get rostered and play for your MLS next team anyway.
ColoradoMooseHerd
US Soccer with a flex move which I like.

And I agree, USL and MLS soccer is not that great to watch unless you follow your local team. Watching a random game is not fun. But the US Open Cup allowed small city fan bases an opportunity to get excited when their teams played the MLS teams or even the USL teams. We need to promote the US Open Cup more, not deemphasize the tournament completely.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Suarez to Miami

Some salary cap they got in MLS
Rudyjax
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Suarez to Miami

Some salary cap they got in MLS
Some salary caps are more equal.
PatAg
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

And I agree, MLS soccer is not that great to watch unless you follow your local team. Watching a random game is not fun.

Spoken like someone that hasn't watched MLS in years
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

And I agree, MLS soccer is not that great to watch unless you follow your local team. Watching a random game is not fun.

I agree with him but it's not about the MLS. I really don't watch most sports unless I have a rooting interest.

Maybe I should gamble and that would create a rooting interest.

TXAggie2011
AG
PatAg said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I don't think a random MLS game is "not fun", but its no easier to access random MLS games than it is random games from numerous leagues which are simply superior in quality and, maybe just as importantly, whose players and "stories" are just as well known within the general sports watching public*. MLS has to find some way to make folks want to choose to spend 2 hours of their lives picking the MLS match and not one from another league.

(*and of course, I'll acknowledge MLS has the most well known player in the world right now.)
Rudyjax
AG

Quote:

MLS has to find some way to make folks want to choose to spend 2 hours of their lives picking the MLS match and not one from another league.
And it's NOT putting in behind a double paywall.
wangus12
AG
Rudyjax said:

Quote:

MLS has to find some way to make folks want to choose to spend 2 hours of their lives picking the MLS match and not one from another league.
And it's NOT putting in behind a double paywall.
This. I will almost always have a soccer match going on in the background at home. League doesn't matter. PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, MLS, etc etc. But since MLS moved to Apple TV (which I don't have, it doesn't get watched.)
jeffk
AG
MLS news threads always draw out folks who feel the need to testify that they don't watch MLS.
deadbq03
AG
When I've watched, I've found it entertaining enough. The quality of soccer isn't the main problem.

To me I just can't get past the single-entity ownership structure. It was a necessary evil for a long time, but that time is now over. I simply can't trust it as a sporting enterprise when they allow teams to bend the rules, or they flat out make new rules just to accommodate a particular market. As frustrating as the Glazers are for ManU fans, they at least have a scapegoat they can direct their angst against. If your MLS club stinks, it's because the league is cool with them stinkingā€¦ but don't worry, they very well could make you awesome next year to keep you hooked.

And so, yes Jeff, I will happily pile on every thread discussing how MLS is screwing else something up until they reorganize. I want a domestic product I can get behind.
jeffk
AG
clintdempseyface dot gif
ColoradoMooseHerd
PatAg said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I watch games when they are available, but there is very little media attention around the MLS. They do a very poor job of promoting themselves, unless you are a big fan of the MLS and search out the information. The quality of play is not near the level of other top leagues.

They need to focus on promoting the sport and giving their players more opportunities to be seen in front of audiences. So trying to pull out of the US OPEN Cup does not seem to help that in any way. The experience at the games is great. Most fan bases are very loyal and fun atmosphere. I have attended games in several cities, San Jose, LA, Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, Portland, Seattle and Columbus. Had an amazing time every time. But it was more for the atmosphere then the style or quality of play.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.