Cubs thread v2.0

583,296 Views | 6322 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by AgShaun00
CubbieAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TexAg1822 said:

Couldn't agree more with everything you just said.

For the life of me I don't understand why Rios is still here despite his lack of opportunity. Like you said, either you trust him (so he needs to play) or you don't (so either DFA him or option). I also don't like the AB's he's taking away from Nelly.

The funny part about Rios is that it's hard to blame him for his performance. He hasn't done much this year, but how could he? 25 PAs total and only 4 games where he's had at least 3 plate appearances. The last game where he did was 3 weeks ago. Instead, we keep trotting Hosmer out there every day, like today where he's starting at DH.

I don't think Rios is taking away at bats from Nelly, but it seems like Ross only wants to play Nelly against lefties. I agree they need to find a better rotation. Tough to take Bellinger out of the lineup with how he's playing, but you could give Seiya and Happ some rest, too. This is what I don't want to have happen to Morel.

TexAg1822 said:

Mancini has a longer leash due to his contract I think, and Ross seems to love him. I'm encouraged by his results post-Oakland.
For sure the contract plays a part. It's also that his track record is less concerning than Hosmer. He hit really well in 2019 before his cancer diagnosis, struggled in 2021 after having to take 2020 off, and hit pretty well in the first half last year before the Astros trade. Hosmer has been the same groundball hitter for a couple years now.

TexAg1822 said:

With that said, you hit the nail on the head with the Mervis discussion. I don't understand it, and it seems to be the general consensus among the fan base. I know they value their presence in the locker room but there are ways to still achieve that and have Mervis up, it definitely couldn't be worse
I mean, it could be worse. Mervis could come up and stink it up for a month. He's a rookie, that can happen. But I don't see a downside in it. If he plays that bad, send him down with a better idea of what he needs to work on. Having him sit in AAA is not helping his development, it's not helping this team's competitiveness, and it's not helping the front office evaluate the club's future. Like I said before, he's 25. Same age as Nico. He should be starting to enter his prime, let's not waste that in the minors.
Biz Ag
AG
Serious question - does keeping Mervis at AAA have something to do with control over the player? Like what happened when they postponed calling up Bryant years ago to save that extra year of control over his contract (i.e., push back his free agency by a year)?
CubbieAggie
AG
Cubs call up Mervis and immediately win.

Biz Ag
AG
10andBOUNCE
AG
I don't think that is why there were keeping him down. They signed Hosmer and it's likely a bad look for future free agents in his category to bail this early on the season, knowing it is kind of a reclamation project.

The Cubs will actually lose a year of Mervis IF he finishes in the top 2 for NL Rookie of the Year. That was a new wrinkle in the last CBA. I want to say the Cubs would get rewarded with an additional draft pick also.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Anyone taking in a game in Houston next week? Just bought tickets for Monday for my son and I. I have him amped up and brainwashed to hate on the Astros!
TexAg1822
AG
I'll be there with two of my buddies on Wednesday! I've got my Dansby jersey ready!!

Y'all have fun love that you're taking him haha
AgShaun00
AG
Be there Wednesday also with my two boys. My oldest wants a dansby jersey and doubt I can get in time.
AgShaun00
AG
Great series win over reds. Glad they are buyers.
SteepleAggie
Go Cubs Go!
Biz Ag
AG
So much fun to be back in the pennant chase.
AgRyan04
GO CUBS GO!
SteepleAggie
Swept the Giants! 1.5 games out of first! Let's Go Cubbies!!!
AgRyan04
GO CUBS GO!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Biz Ag
AG
Suzuki has been on fire the last month.
MAROON
AG
cross posting here:

cubs game - beat pre/post game spots | TexAgs

amd that should be "BEST"

pasquale
AG
Brutal last two nights and tough way to lose ball games . Better than expected season but choking away a wild card spot
AgRyan04
It's tough....as hot as they were to make up the ground they did just to watch it slip through the fingers
Biz Ag
AG
September has been awful.

AgShaun00
AG
CubbieAggie
AG
Quote:

Utterly shocking development. How do you keep something like this quiet? There was nothing out there even about the Cubs having a conversation about Counsell.

On one hand, this is awesome. Not only the Cubs' benefit getting one of the best managers out there, but it's also a big hit to a rival team. On the other hand, I feel gutted for Ross. He's had quite a few critics, and he's definitely had his issues with player usage. But I don't think it was as bad as some made it out to be, I thought he was improving, and he is beloved in the clubhouse.

You also don't do this unless you're willing to start cashing in your chips, so the rumors about the Cubs being involved with the big fish like Ohtani, Soto, and a front line SP appear to be right.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Not sure I have ever been this stunned from non-player news as a Cubs fan. Maybe even player news included.
Biz Ag
AG
I didn't have Cubs hire Craig Counsell on my 2023 bingo card.

AgShaun00
AG
i would hate for ross to find out through twitter before being leaked
DukeMu
Biz Ag said:

I didn't have Cubs hire Craig Counsell on my 2023 bingo card.

Props to the Cubs for a Godfather like clandestine maneuver.

Counsell and the Brewers have overperformed for years.
DukeMu
CubbieAggie said:

Quote:

Utterly shocking development. How do you keep something like this quiet? There was nothing out there even about the Cubs having a conversation about Counsell.

On one hand, this is awesome. Not only the Cubs' benefit getting one of the best managers out there, but it's also a big hit to a rival team. On the other hand, I feel gutted for Ross. He's had quite a few critics, and he's definitely had his issues with player usage. But I don't think it was as bad as some made it out to be, I thought he was improving, and he is beloved in the clubhouse.

You also don't do this unless you're willing to start cashing in your chips, so the rumors about the Cubs being involved with the big fish like Ohtani, Soto, and a front line SP appear to be right.

Ross has a ring. And he had a chance to manage the Cubs for 4 years - he's been a fine representative. Although things haven't gone as expected and it looked like the Cubs were finally recovering from the fire sale of a couple of years ago. We thank him for his service.

But, damn, this godfather move has me pumped for next year!!
DukeMu
AgShaun00 said:

I'm truly stunned.

Props.
Biz Ag
AG
Andre Dawson wants HOF cap on his plaque changed to Cubs
AgShaun00
AG
Make your call

Ohtani Yes/no?

I am feeling lucky and going yes
AgRyan04
Biz Ag said:

It is asinine that players don't get a choice.

Crappy teams that no player wants to be associated with shouldn't get rewarded. It's 100% just for baseball "equity" for the garbage clubs.

Now that the Expos have Vlad there isn't any excuse for them not to change it other than they make dumb decisions and double down on them.

God bless Hawk!
AgShaun00
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Biz Ag said:

It is asinine that players don't get a choice.

Crappy teams that no player wants to be associated with shouldn't get rewarded. It's 100% just for baseball "equity" for the garbage clubs.

Now that the Expos have Vlad there isn't any excuse for them not to change it other than they make dumb decisions and double down on them.

God bless Hawk!
didn't know they couldn't choose. That is stupid
10andBOUNCE
AG
AgShaun00 said:

Make your call

Ohtani Yes/no?

I am feeling lucky and going yes
Everything the last day or two is pointing to the Cubs being out of it. I am personally torn, since committing $500M+ to one player over a decade doesn't seem like that will work out, but Ohtani is a rare bird with some additional revenue streams that could offset. Suzuki and Ohtani would be fun to watch together; both seem like great, fun loving guys.
AgShaun00
AG
i saw that also. projection he would bring 90M worth of revenue so 50/yr wouldn't be too much.
AgRyan04
$90M of revenue in 2024.....or $90M of revenue each year, including after his prime and his decline has begun?

Not an apples to apples comparison but similar thought process.....40 year old Albert Pujols wasn't selling as many jerseys or putting butts in seats, etc. as 32 year old Albert Pujols was.

I haven't followed this very closely at all, so there are probably parts that have been covered already but....

I have to imagine his pitching will decline sooner than his hitting so do you pay him all that money knowing you're getting a pitcher & hitter for a few years and only a hitter for the rest?
10andBOUNCE
AG
That is tricky since we have recent examples of pitchers going into their late 30s and 40s that are highly effective (Verlander, Scherzer). That is probably the exception to the rule, so I agree with you though. You are paying for maybe 5 pitching & hitting seasons and the rest maybe hitting only. Perhaps he could still have a relief pitching kind of role?

I have read other pieces talking about the value in general it may bring to your franchise; this contract would likely be the team in which he'd go into the HOF with. Who knows the longer term financial impacts. It isn't nothing though.

Half a billion dollars just doesn't sit right at the end of the day for me, but I won't be mad by any means if they surprise us and sign him.
First Page
Page 180 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.