***** NORTHERN EXPOSURE: THE 2023 JOEY GALLO APPRECIATION THREAD *****
33,632 Views | 415 Replies
YokelRidesAgain
4:13p, 5/14/23
As I predicted, it was a tough day for King Donkey today, as he went 1 for 5 with 2 RBI and no strikeouts in a 16-3 Twins laugher.

Reached for comment after the game, Joey had this to say (paraphrased):

"It was real tough this afternoon. They told me before the game that I had to use a pink hitting stick. Maybe it was Cotton Candy Day, not sure.

Anyway, baseballs are kind of a white color, I think? Way different than pink, I know that. It made it kind of easy to see the ball and touch it with my stick. One ball even went all the way over the fence and out of the stadium and some fan ran off with it! That made me sad, because the Poland family has been real nice to me, and I know they're poor. Baseballs are expensive. (Editor's note: Twins owner Jim Pohlad has a net worth of $3.8 billion, ranking 8th among MLB owners.)

When I have a tough day like this, Coach Socko helps pick me up. He even told me that sometimes when he was playing, he wouldn't strike out either. Even though he has some kind of gemnetic, or is it gynecological, disease that helped him suck. I I just know I've always been pretty healthy and sometimes it's hard to miss major league pitching.

Hopefully, Coach Socko keeps letting me swing first. I like that because I get a lot of chances. We're going to play the Dodgers next week, and I really want to show the fans at Dodger Stadium what I can do. Coach Robert there hardly let me play at all. So far, I love Coach Socko way better."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
5:00p, 5/14/23
Joey was pulled from the game late, with what manager Rockhead Baldelli described as an insignificant injury, assuring the assembled media that Joey will be in the lineup tomorrow.

Based on the accuracy of Rockhead's post-game injury reports, we can confidently predict that Donkey will be on the IL within 2 days, followed by a season ending ACL surgery, or an amputation: not sure which yet.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
5:25p, 5/15/23
Apparently even a blind squirrel finds a stopped clock occasionally.

For once, the dreaded vote of confidence from Rockhead Baldelli did not indicate a season ending injury, as tonight Donkey will make his triumphant return to Dodger Stadium in the leadoff spot, where he belongs.

If only Dave Roberts weren't such a moron, he would have hit Joey leadoff in the playoffs last year, and the Dodgers would have won the World Series.
YokelRidesAgain
6:57p, 5/16/23
It's ***EVERY DAY DONKEY*** season on the Minnesota Twins, as Joey gets the start even against elite left hander Clayton Kershaw.

The last time Kershaw faced the Twins, he pitched seven perfect innings before his idiot manager removed him from the game. I was there, and I think it is the only time I have ever seen the fans of both teams vociferously booing the same guy.
Dies Irae
7:00p, 5/16/23
In reply to YokelRidesAgain
The planets are aligning
YokelRidesAgain
8:13a, 5/17/23
Time for another check-in with the strikeout leaderboard.

Continuing to pace the field with 61Ks is Atlanta's Matt Olson. He remains on pace for a record shattering 235 strikeouts.

In second is Teoscar Hernandez of the Mariners, hot on Olson's heels with 59. These two have achieved clear separation from the field at the quarter pole.

In third is James Outman of the LA Dodgers, with 54.

There is a three way tie for fourth among Ryan McMahon of Colorado, Julio Rodriguez of Seattle, and Josh Jung of the Rangers with 53.

Donkey is currently in 82nd place, tied for fourth in strikeouts on his own TEAM. It's the world turned upside down out there.
redline248
8:21a, 5/17/23
2 singles and a lone K for the Rooster, last night. Surely, his best days aren't behind him
YokelRidesAgain
8:29a, 5/17/23
In reply to redline248
redline248 said:

2 singles and a lone K for the Rooster, last night. Surely, his best days aren't behind him
It is the fault of Public Enemy Number One, Twins hitting coach, David Popkins.

This bum seems to have convinced Joey that it is better to be in the top 25 in the majors in home runs instead of strikeouts.

We can only hope that he will quit in the middle of the season to take a job at LSU, like the Twins pitching coach did last year.
YokelRidesAgain
4:09p, 5/17/23
Through 6 in Chavez Ravine, it's been a mixed bag for the Donk.

He led off the game with a promising K swinging, but appears to have been thrown off track by the Dodgers' use of an "opener", following up with a groundout and a long home run to straightaway center against the carousel of relievers. Hopefully he can add a second K before the day is done.
YokelRidesAgain
4:13p, 5/17/23
HIGH LEVERAGE K SWINGING FOR DONKEY WITH TWO ON AND NO OUT!

CAN HE GET A THIRD TODAY?
YokelRidesAgain
5:11p, 5/17/23
Rockhead yanks Joey with 2 out, top of the ninth, with the Twins down 7-3, to let the BACKUP CATCHER hit!

Naturally, he struck out.

THAT WAS JOEY'S STRIKEOUT!
redline248
5:16p, 5/17/23
Baldelli needs to let the big man spread his wings, wtf
YokelRidesAgain
5:53p, 5/17/23
In reply to redline248
redline248 said:

Apparently there is concern for Donkey's health after he fouled a ball off of his leg.

He just can't win in Dodger Stadium.
Dies Irae
7:41p, 5/17/23
YokelRidesAgain said:

redline248 said:

Apparently there is concern for Donkey's health after he fouled a ball off of his leg.

Official scorer in LA hates him
YokelRidesAgain
7:59p, 5/17/23
YokelRidesAgain said:

redline248 said:

X-rays negative on Donkey's leg, unlike teammate Nick "I'm Tom Gordon's Son, Nick" Gordon, who somehow contrived to break his own leg on a foul ball. Looks like the Twins will have to do without his .176 BA for a while.
YokelRidesAgain
7:47p, 5/19/23
Donkey not in the lineup tonight against a left-handed starter, and I don't expect to see him tomorrow as the California Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim send another lefty to the mound, what with his barking shin. If Donkey is not striking out against Shohei Ohtani on Sunday, he's likely headed to the IL.
redline248
9:38p, 5/19/23
weak
YokelRidesAgain
7:31a, 5/20/23
All is well!

Donkey entered last night's game late and picked up a game ending strikeout looking.

Still not expecting him to start today, but a showdown against Shohei is in the offing for Sunday.
YokelRidesAgain
7:20a, 5/21/23
Surprise start for the Big Donkey last night, and he came through in a big way with two swinging strikeouts to rise to 66th on the K leaderboard.

Oh, and he also hit his 11th home run, tied for 10th in the Majors. Whatever.

The race for the top is now tied, with Teoscar Hernandez of the Mariners catching Matt Olson of Atlanta, both with 64 strikeouts.
YokelRidesAgain
12:32p, 5/21/23
***LEADOFF DONKEY TIME*** against Shohei Ohtani!

Can he turn in a Golden performance?
PatAg
2:11p, 5/21/23
This is a weird thread full of weird people
redline248
2:22p, 5/21/23
In reply to PatAg
Then you are welcome to gtfo
Dies Irae
2:46p, 5/21/23
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

You sir; have no taste
Dies Irae
4:48p, 5/21/23
I wanna tell you guys a little story about the power of faith.

I put $500 on Ohtani K's o8.5 in today's game. Why? Because I knew the sultan of swing and a miss would make it rain.

Did he come through? No. But I still won because of my faith in him. The donkey always pays off
YokelRidesAgain
4:52p, 5/21/23
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

Welcome!!!
YokelRidesAgain
5:06p, 5/21/23
INNING ENDING, BASES LOADED STRIKEOUT FOR KING DONKEY!!!

TWO MORE FOR THE CAUSE, TODAY!

Unfortunately, Shohei "Babe Ruth" Ohtani walked him twice. Teams are pitching around Joey because they are jealous of his elite talent.
redline248
5:46p, 5/21/23
I can't believe we don't have porkchop for leadoff donkey
YokelRidesAgain
9:51a, 5/22/23
As we start off another week, let's all pause for a moment to wonder at the glory that is the Seattle Mariners.

Center fielder Julio Rodriguez has 57 big strikeouts, which would lead all but six teams in MLB.

But on the Mariners, it is only good for third place.

Because why? Because big Eugenio Suarez is making a run at the top of the leaderboard for the second straight year, with his 59 strikeouts ranking 3rd in the big leagues.

But even Suarez is eclipsed by the majesty that is Teoscar Hernandez, tied for the major league lead with 65 Ks.

What a time to be alive!
Faustus
10:10a, 5/22/23
(From a few weeks ago) 5/4/23
https://sodomojo.com/posts/the-2023-mariners-fatal-flaw-01gzkgmc882q

No it's not that they care too much.

Quote:

. . .
We knew coming into the season; this roster would offer power. A lineup with Julio Rodriguez, Teoscar Hernandez, Cal Raleigh, and Eugenio Suarez screams exit velocity, extra-base hits, and power. Unfortunately, it also screams some swing-and-miss.

Player Strikeout Rate Chase Rate
Cal Raleigh 31% 27%

Eugenio Suarez 30% 21.7%

Julio Rodriguez 27.3% 37%

Teoscar Hernandez 34.9% 37%

In thirty games, the Mariners are tied for third in the MLB in strikeouts at 298. They are on pace to go down swinging or, in some cases, looking 1725 times. For context, at this time last year, Mariners' hitters struck out 201 times. It might not seem like much, but that is over 90 outs our essential offensive clogs are giving away.
No, striking out 100 more times than you did last season through 30 games does seem like a lot.
YokelRidesAgain
5:27p, 5/22/23
SCANDAL! OUTRAGE!! COMMUNISM!!!

Halfway to the game, I find that local village imbecile and Twins' manager, Rockhead Baldelli, has BENCHED King Donkey for tonight's game!

Rockhead is apparently anticipating that the Giants' first RELIEF pitcher will be a lefty, and has replaced Donkey at his rightful spot at the top of the lineup with cheese-eating surrender monkey, Edouard Julien, of Quebec.

Here's hoping you tweak a gonad, you usurping, poutine slurping little twerp!
Dies Irae
6:06p, 5/22/23
Sacre-Boo
YokelRidesAgain
6:07p, 5/22/23
Just look at this Joey-less horror.

What a waste of a late spring day.
YokelRidesAgain
6:42p, 5/22/23
Aww, Rockhead, I wish I could find a way to quit you!!

(Like you getting fired. That would work.)

Donkey is a late addition to tonight's lineup, hitting SEVENTH because his manager has an incapacitating intellectual disability.
redline248
8:44p, 5/22/23
your hate for Rocco is only equalled by our combined love of Big Don-K
YokelRidesAgain
8:48p, 5/22/23
Amidst all the glory of the swinging, and the missing, and the whiffing, often we forget that professional athletes are breathing, bleeding humans just like us.

When their emotions are jerked about-when they do not even know if they will have the chance to strike out-do their hearts not suffer pain??

It is in these moments, when they rise up and deliver two beautiful Ks anyway, that their true hearts are revealed.

Bravo, Sir Donkey. Bravo.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 6 of 12
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings