***** NORTHERN EXPOSURE: THE 2023 JOEY GALLO APPRECIATION THREAD *****

33,233 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by RED AG 98
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Minnesota nine that day;

the score stood four to two, with but one inning more to play.
And then when Buxton died at first, and Gordon did the same,
a sickly silence fell upon the patrons of the game.

A straggling few got up to go in deep despair. The rest
clung to that hope which springs eternal in the human breast;
they thought, if only Donkey could get but a whack at that
they'd put up even money, now, with Donkey at the bat.

But Correa preceded Donkey, as did also Urshela
and the former was a prima donna and the latter was a fraud
so upon that stricken multitude grim melancholy sat,
for there seemed but little chance of Donkey's getting to the bat.

But Urshela let drive a single, to the wonderment of all,
and Correa, the much despised, tore the cover off the ball;
and when the dust had lifted, and the men saw what had occurred,
there was Carlos safe at second and Gio a-hugging third.

Then from five thousand throats and more there rose a lusty yell;
it rumbled through the Twin Cities, it rattled in the dell;
it knocked upon the mountain and recoiled upon the flat,
for Donkey, mighty Donkey, was advancing to the bat.

There was ease in Donkey's manner as he stepped into his place;
there was pride in Donkey's bearing and a smile on Donkey's face.
And when, responding to the cheers, he lightly doffed his hat,
no stranger in the crowd could doubt 'twas Donkey at the bat.

Ten thousand eyes were on him as he rubbed his hands with dirt;
five thousand tongues applauded when he wiped them on his shirt.
Then while the writhing pitcher ground the ball into his hip,
defiance gleamed in Donkey's eye, a sneer curled Donkey's lip.

And now the leather-covered sphere came hurtling through the air,
and Donkey stood a-watching it in haughty grandeur there.
Close by the sturdy batsman straight down the middle did it come
"That ain't my style," said Donkey. "Strike one," the umpire said.

From the benches, black with people, there went up a muffled roar,
like the beating of the storm-waves on a stern and distant shore.
"Kill him! Kill the umpire!" shouted someone on the stand;
and it's likely they'd have killed him had not Donkey raised his hand.

With a smile of Christian charity great Donkey's visage shone;
he stilled the rising tumult; he bade the game go on;
he signaled to the pitcher, and once more the spheroid flew;
but Donkey still ignored it, and the umpire said: "Strike two."

"Fraud!" cried the maddened thousands, and Echo answered fraud;
but one scornful look from Donkey and the audience was awed.
They saw his face grow stern and cold, they saw his muscles strain,
and they knew that Donkey was ready to see strike three again.

The sneer is gone from Donkey's lip, his teeth are clenched in hate;
he pounds with cruel violence his bat upon the plate.
And now the pitcher holds the ball, and now he lets it go,
and now the air is shattered by the force of Donkey's blow.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But we all know what is coming soon mighty Donkey will strike out.

Welcome back my friends, to the thread that never ends!
We're so glad you could attend! Come inside! Come inside!

It is my distinct honor to welcome you to the 2023 Joey Gallo Appreciation thread. On December 20, 2022, the Minnesota Twins punched their ticket to become the odds-on favorite to lead the AL in strikeouts when they signed Joey "King Donkey" Gallo to a one-year contract worth $71.4 billion. The Twins are going to play him at first base to start the year because of injuries and because he played one inning at first in the past four seasons. It's just math, baby.

But the Twins didn't sign King Donkey to field the ball, they signed him to strike out 200+ times while hopefully hitting a couple of home runs. This is the situation I've been dreaming about for Jose Rooster for a few years now. A safe space where he doesn't have the media pressure of an LA or a New York, free from the rigorous labor of being in the thick of the pennant race like he was year after year with the Rangers, and just able to breathe that mountain air, cleanse his spirit in the waters of Lake Minnetonka, and do what he was meant to do: Challenge Mark Reynolds' all-time single season strikeout record of 223.

Jealousy on the part of his mangers limited Joey to just 350 at-bats last year, but he was still able to strikeout 163 times. If you'd have given the guy 500 ABs, he would have struck out 233 times. LET THE MAN LIVE HIS DREAM!

Last year, Joey got his 1,000th career strikeout, yet for some reason there was no ticker-tape parade, and the banks were open, it was the ultimate sign of disrespect. He starts the year with 1,048 career strikeouts, good for 313th on the all-time list. Part of the grandeur of this thread is counting off as Joey blitzes up the all-time list, passing pretenders left and right who took 15-20 years to do what Joey is doing in 8 or 9. He only needs 21 strikeouts to get into the top 300 this year. If he can whiff 200 times, we're scratching the surface of the top 180.

On the active list, Joey's already #32. Obviously, this list is fluid, but nobody whiffs like Donkey whiffs. We're talking getting into the top 20 of current players quickly.

What's most exciting for KD is that he'll be paired with another legendary whiff artist the incredible Miguel Sano, who the Twins told, "Guess what, we aren't paying you $14 million this year, but if nobody else signs you, we'll pay you $3 million." A match made in heaven!

As many of you know, I'm pretty convinced Sano isn't an actual baseball player, but rather found a jersey one day, put it on, and the Twins just went with it. He's at 1,042 strikeouts, six behind JoJo Say Wha?. He lost almost all of his 2022 season to injury, hitting .083 with 5 hits in 60 at-bats and 25 strikeouts. He's never been healthy enough to get to 200 strikeouts in a year, but we can dream.

Of course, the mastery of striking out nonstop isn't just the domain of Joey and Miguel. We have made a number of new friends over the past two years that have given us delights of all shapes and sizes. Let's review a few of our favorites as we anticipate what newcomers will join the Lords of the K in 2023.

Kyle Schwarber: 200 strikeouts last year while largely batting leadoff for the Phillies. Because who doesn't want a leadoff man who is slow as molasses and strikes out 200 times?

Eugenio Suarez: Had 200 strikeouts in the bag and got hurt in September last year. I'd call it a Greek tragedy, except he's from Venezuela. 196 strikeouts in 150 games last year. That's gold Jerry, gold! 171 strikeouts and a .198 average in 2021. Led the league with 189 strikeouts in 2019. He's ready to ascend.

Javier Baez: He's home in Detroit now and hopefully can regain the form that made him so prolific in striking out. Led the NL in 2021 with 184 despite getting traded.

Let's not forget, our Brave trio of Dansby Swanson (182), Matt Olson (170) and Austin Riley (168) who combined to strike out 500+ times last year, only the fourth time that's ever happened. Sadly, Swanson has gone on to the Cubs. I think the Mariners might do it this year with Suarez, J-Rod, and Cal Raleigh.

So let the whiffs begin! Sometimes they'll be an update every day, sometimes there will be 10 a day, which means I don't feel like working. Hopefully I won't get banned for a month like last May for unrelated matters.

At the end of the day, if you love Joey Gallo and value the One True Outcome, this is your thread. If you think I'm an idiot, you're probably married to me. But if you're not, just stay off. It's really easy to ignore **** you don't like.

Joey's season kicks off on Thursday, March 30 as the Twins test their mettle early on a murder's row road trip to Kansas City and Miami.

They return home on April 6 against the Houston Astros, a team Joey G has a career .160 average against, with 128 strikeouts in 269 at-bats. I'm not making those numbers up.

We close this Opening Thread with a great thing that Joey once said while addressing Congress.

"Some people see a slider that hits 6 feet in front of the plate and think, 'Why swing?'
I dream of a slider that hits 6 feet in front of the plate and think, 'Why not?'"
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Your spring training strikeout leaders, most of whom I have never heard of.

Ryan Noda, Oakland 25 K in 48 AB
Christopher Morel, Cubs, 24 K in 52 AB
Michael Toglia, Colorado 24 K in 69 AB
Niko Goodrum, Boston, 23 K in 45 AB (that's a 50%+ rate!)

King Donkey started off hitting over .300 in spring training but has dopped to .216 with 14 K in 37 AB. That's about 189 K in a 500-AB season. Not bad, but obviously room for impovement.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
RED AG 98
AG
Ride high King Donkey! You can do it!
The Porkchop Express

Rosenthal: For Twins' Joey Gallo, will a new team and a change at the plate revive his game?

FT. MYERS, Fla. People forget, he's only 29. Yes, Joey Gallo is coming off one of the more miserable offensive seasons in recent memory a season-plus actually, including his final two months with the Yankees in 2021. But now, with a fresh start in a less demanding market, not to mention a new setup in the batter's box, people who should know are again seeing possibilities in Gallo. It's the first season of the rest of his career.

https://theathletic.com/4246986/2023/02/24/twins-joey-gallo-change-yankees/
AustinCountyAg
The Porkchop Express said:

Rosenthal: For Twins' Joey Gallo, will a new team and a change at the plate revive his game?

FT. MYERS, Fla. People forget, he's only 29. Yes, Joey Gallo is coming off one of the more miserable offensive seasons in recent memory a season-plus actually, including his final two months with the Yankees in 2021. But now, with a fresh start in a less demanding market, not to mention a new setup in the batter's box, people who should know are again seeing possibilities in Gallo. It's the first season of the rest of his career.

this isn't talked about enough. The dude HATED NYC and I think he will have a better year this year. Yes, he will still strike out a lot, but I think he will be back to putting up #'s like he did when he was in TX.
The Porkchop Express
AustinCountyAg said:

this isn't talked about enough. The dude HATED NYC and I think he will have a better year this year. Yes, he will still strike out a lot, but I think he will be back to putting up #'s like he did when he was in TX.
I hope he hits 40 HR so he can play every day and go after the strikeout record. That's how Reynolds did it. The year he struck out 223 times he hit 44 home runs and drove in 102.
Red Five
AG

I assume his new setup in the batter's box involves having one foot already heading back to the dugout.
The Porkchop Express
I don't know but his beard is in mid-season form.

YokelRidesAgain
AG
Finally Joey has a manager who is worthy of his talent! The great Rocco Baldelli, who understands that the heart of the Twins lineup needs to see the pitcher's strikeout pitches before getting up to take their hacks.

Accordingly, Joey will be starting the season exactly where a guy who hit .160 last year should be hitting: leadoff.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
YokelRidesAgain said:

Finally Joey has a manager who is worthy of his talent! The great Rocco Baldelli, who understands that the heart of the Twins lineup needs to see the pitcher's strikeout pitches before getting up to take their hacks.

Accordingly, Joey will be starting the season exactly where a guy who hit .160 last year should be hitting: leadoff.

Best quote from that story from the man himsef.]

"Did they say that's what I'm going to do?" Gallo asked on Sunday, two days before the end of Spring Training.
YokelRidesAgain
AG

"Did they say that's what I'm going to do?" Gallo asked on Sunday, two days before the end of Spring Training.
Closely followed by:

"It's a different age of baseball, where the norm is different now, because there's different ways to look at things, and numbers that tell you differently."

What an age we live in. Imagine an age of baseball in which it was thought to be a bad thing to strike out 200 times per year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
The Donkey Neighs tomorrow at 3:10 p.m. CDT in Kansas City vs. Zach Greinke.

I am happy to report I was able to secure Joey Gallo in both of my fantasy leagues.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
A lot of people think that Zach Greinke has lost a step as he ages, but that is the kind of challenge King Donkey lives for: I think he strikes out 3 times.
redline248
AG
It's like Christmas Eve
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Fun fact: in 17 career at bats against Zack Greinke, Joey Gallo has hit a robust .000 with 8 strikeouts.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express
Well after all the leadoff talk, Joey is batting 7th and playing first today. Game starts at 3:10 p.m.! Last year, he had 3 strikeouts in 3 at-bats to start the year.
YokelRidesAgain
AG

Well after all the leadoff talk, Joey is batting 7th and playing first today. Game starts at 3:10 p.m.! Last year, he had 3 strikeouts in 3 at-bats to start the year.
SCANDAL! OUTRAGE!

In place of our hero, village idiot "Dumb As A" Rocco Baldelli, has started Max Kepler, a once promising left handed hitter and athletic outfielder whose stock has taken a hit due to his low batting average and inability to go the other way. WHY IS A POOR MAN'S JOEY GALLO TAKING THE LEADOFF SPOT FROM THE ACTUAL, LITERAL JOEY GALLO???
The Porkchop Express
Live look at Donkey in the Twins' clubhouse right now

The Porkchop Express
Joey set up to lead off the top of the second for the Twins!
The Porkchop Express
At-bat #1 of 2023

Strike 1 swinging 89 mph 4-seam FB
Pitch #2 slider, a SINGLE FOR THE DONKEY!

EDIT: ruled an error on the right fielder. Official scorer in KC has always hated him.
agproducer
AG
Donkey got himself a K. Thanks, Zack Greinke!

(Unfortunately, I couldn't make it backward K to show he struck out looking.)
The Porkchop Express
The great Rocco Baldelli just pinch hit for Joey Gallo with 2 on and 1 out in the top of the sixth of a game that Minnesota is winning 1-0.

How much is Aaron Boone paying this guy?
redline248
AG

The great Rocco Baldelli just pinch hit for Joey Gallo with 2 on and 1 out in the top of the sixth of a game that Minnesota is winning 1-0.

How much is Aaron Boone paying this guy?
more like Rocco Badelli
YokelRidesAgain
AG
BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Joey does his best work striking out in close games!

And to make matters worse, this Solano palooka just hit an RBI single.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Looser moran and "Twins leadoff man" Max Kepler starts off the year 0 for 5 with one strikeout, which is way less strikeouts than Joey would have had if he had been allowed to lead off and gotten five at bats.

Joey better be leading off on Saturday, and, more importantly, next Thursday when I will be in attendance for the Twins home opener to bask in his reflected glory.

ETA: Also I'm mad that STILL can't buy an authentic Joey Gallo Twins 13 jersey from the team website. They better have a whole store dedicated to Donkey merchandise next week.
toucan82
no chance Joey will get to 200 at this pace
The Porkchop Express
If you stayed up late last night, you already know.

Max Muncy started off the season last night with a PLATINUM SOMBRERO
0-5, 5 strikeouts.
He struck out looking in the first, swinging in the second, swinging in the fifth, swinging in the seventh, an swinging in the eighth. Impressively, he ended three different innings by striking out.

That overshadowed the fact that Colorado's Yonathan Danza, Cincinnati's Will Benson, and the Yankees Oswaldo Cabrera all recorded a Golden Sombrero to start the yea.
The Porkchop Express
And many props to King Donkey, in his first game at first base in 5 years or so, he made this really nice start to a 3-2-4 double play.

Dies Irae

At-bat #1 of 2023

Strike 1 swinging 89 mph 4-seam FB
Pitch #2 slider, a SINGLE FOR THE DONKEY!

EDIT: ruled an error on the right fielder. Official scorer in KC has always hated him.
Faustus

I don't know but his beard is in mid-season form.

His beard is what hated the Yankees the most.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Could today be the day when we see Leadoff Donkey?

In 10 career plate appearances against today's starting pitcher, former teammate Jordan Lyles, Joey has gone 2 for 8 with 2 walks and a solo home run, for an OPS of 1.025. Let's hope that matchup looks tantalizing to Rockhead Baldelli.

What really matters, of course, is that Joey has 4 strikeouts in those 8 at bats.
The Porkchop Express
Joey going 2 for 8 against any pitcher is like someone else going 49 for 50.
YokelRidesAgain
AG

Joey going 2 for 8 against any pitcher is like someone else going 49 for 50.
OK, I may have gotten sucked into a bit of a wormhole exploring Donkey's stats on RotoWire this morning.

Our King is a baseball player whose like we mere mortals have difficulty comprehending.

For example, Joey has faced New York Yankees' "ace" Gerrit Cole 27 times, going 5 for 24 with a double, four solo home runs (Joey gets no help from his teammates because they are all jealous), and three walks, with an OPS of 1.046.

Also, Joey has struck out in 17 of those 24 at bats against Cole, for an astounding K average of .708!

Joey's strikeouts are like Samson's hair: the more they accumulate, the better he gets.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
SCREW YOU BALDELLI!!!

JOEY BATTING SEVENTH AGAIN, BEHIND THREE TEAMMATES WHO ARE BATTING ZERO.

THE LEADOFF SPOT AGAIN GOES TO MAX KEPLER, WHO I UNDERSTAND IS A NAZI.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.