****AL West (Astros & Rangers) Genuine -- and Civil -- Discussion Thread****

33,086 Views | 413 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DallasAg 94
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Roof will be closed.
Chamber of Commerce Fall weather in Arlington today. Again why does either team actually have retractable roof?
512Ag
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Roof will be closed.
Chamber of Commerce Fall weather in Arlington today. Again why does either team actually have retractable roof?
Because it's nice to use two games per season. But only in April, of course. At least that's the rule at MMP.
htxag09
AG
512Ag said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

Roof will be closed.
Because it's nice to use two games per season. But only in April, of course. At least that's the rule at MMP.
I don't remember every series and every game. But I feel like it's open for at least one playoff game just about every year.....

I mean Houston's just too hot to ever open it before October, which means it'd only be early season or playoffs. When playoffs, MLB decides.

Also, a big part of it is being able to properly grow grass. So it's open just about every day when there isn't a game.

Same can't be said for the carpet the Rangers have.....
512Ag
AG
If that's the price for having grass at Minute Maid, I'll take it.
JWinTX
512Ag said:

After watching y'all play at home and up here, maybe you'd be wise to consider changing…it's not as if artificial grass is really hurting your team.
Poot
I know this is the civil thread… so I intend this to be as civil as possible… but watching a game on at Globe Life on TV feels like you're watching a game in Japan.
fullback44
AG

https://www.ballparksavvy.com/comparisons/

[url=https://www.ballparksavvy.com/comparisons/][/url]
MLB Baseball Park Dimensions and facts … there are 7 retractable roof stadiums, both the Astros and Rangers have them.

The majority ( 25 of 30) of MLB baseball stadiums have some form of real grass. The Rangers play on artificial turf and the Astros have a natural grass field.

Globe Life field cost $1.1 billion to build

MinuteMaid Park cost $250 million to build
McInnis
AG
Legal Custodian said:

And another random question, how often do balls hit the roof? Didn't really affect the game cause Semien ended up striking out or something but I'm not sure I've seen that happen outside of Tropicana. Was that ever an issue at the Astrodome?

I don't remember a ball ever hitting the roof in the dome but Mike Schmidt hit the speaker hanging over CF once. After that they raised that one speaker so it hung about 50 ft above the rest.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Great series so far. & baseball should be played on grass
“Not gonna lie...its a little disconcerting to have our minister of positivity be PlaneCrashGuy but Im in"
Farmer1906
AG
Semien led off all 162 games and I believe every postseason game. He has a .469 OPS (lower in the CS) in 42 PA. Any chance he gets moved down?

Edit: nevermind. I see the lineup has been posted.
Mr Gigem
AG
No. He's leading off again today
Mr Gigem
AG
Garver and Heim were moved to 8-9. Taveras moved up to 5
fullback44
AG
Big game today ladies and gentlemen.. who ever wins today will be in the drivers seat when the games go back to Houston. Good luck Rangers .. the Astros will give it our best shot today and I know the Rangers will as well. This has turned out to be a tough series just as many predicted

Let me add one thing … I would take an Aggie Football National Championship win over any of this … I'm a pro sports fan but if the Aggies could win a NC .. it would do it for me over any of the pro sports teams !
Mathguy64
AG
Had Taveras hit there at all this season? I thought he was mostly double leadoff for yall.
Mr Gigem
AG
I don't recall. He's mostly been 8 or 9 all season. He's been seeing the ball this series, so this move doesn't surprise me
dvldog
AG
Looks like he only batted 5th one time, on 8/9:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TEX/2023-batting-orders.shtml

He batted 6-7 a handful of times each, but has predominantly been 8 or 9.
Conchovalleyag
AG
Astros fan here…curious did any rangers fans want them to walk..if not walk then pitch around Altuve?
Mr Gigem
AG
That might be the best game I've ever been to, regardless of outcome. Wow
fullback44
AG
Anyone on either side that thinks this series is over has a lot to learn about baseball.. game 6 is on Sunday, no home team has won a game yet, Astros have played terrible at home this year … this is a Texas shootout so far. Rangers have Evaldi pitching and Astros have Framber …. We have seen this matchup already… this is why they play the games.. see y'all on Sunday
Martin Cash
AG
512Ag said:

Serious question: Does anyone know why the Rangers spent a billion dollars to build a retractable roof stadium, only to put plastic grass in it?
TXAG 05
AG
[If you can't read the title of the thread you can't post on the thread. -Staff]
Martin Cash
AG
[Same message. -Staff]
agproducer
AG
Civil thread dudes. You want to smack talk, go to the trash thread.
Mathguy64
AG
Mr Gigem said:

2017 WS game 5 is the craziest most amazing game I have seen. This one is now #2. The back and forth, the full on insanity in B8 and then the end.

Just amazing baseball.
Sid Farkas
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Mr Gigem said:

2017 WS game 5 is the craziest most amazing game I have seen. This one is now #2. The back and forth, the full on insanity in B8 and then the end.

Just amazing baseball.
Game 6, 2019 ALCS. Altuve walks off the Yankees to send the Stros to the series.
Panama Red
AG
Amazing to watch on TV also.

Ranger fans shouldn't give up hope. Pujols ripped out Astros fans hearts in 2005 at Minute Maid in game 5, then Oswalt shut down Cards in game 6

Rangers have the guy they want on the mound to try the same. Hope he doesn't.
aggie813
Mathguy64 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Just amazing baseball.

I agree with this. Game 5 was nuts. This game was over until Garcia did what he did...thanks Arlington
JohnnyTexAg1995
I hope this is the thread for it, but I'm curious what a rangers calm perspective is on the HBP and Ejecting Abreu for it. Cause in the hubub of Altuves home run leclercs first pitch to Dubon nearly took his head off and the umpires didn't say or do anything. I thought that was curious imo
texasaggie2015
AG
The Dubon one wasn't that close
JohnnyTexAg1995
texasaggie2015 said:

The Dubon one wasn't that close
idk it was further up and in than Garcias he just got out of the way

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

I hope this is the thread for it, but I'm curious what a rangers calm perspective is on the HBP and Ejecting Abreu for it. Cause in the hubub of Altuves home run leclercs first pitch to Dubon nearly took his head off and the umpires didn't say or do anything. I thought that was curious imo

I don't think it was intentional. I do think they were trying to brush him back. That situation is not one in which you hit the guy that pimped a homerun his last AB. But, in Garcia's defense, the heat of the moment got the best of him and it's not like it didn't happen before. Abreu looked like he was as having control issues and we were about to start rocking him.

The benches being cleared changed the whole game. LeClerc went cold, the Astros were like a hornets nest that got disturbed, and the Rangers were deer in the headlights.

Explain to me like I'm 5 why on a deep fly ball to left center, Josh Smith doesn't tag and get to third. Let's say he takes off and the throw from the outfield gets past the third baseman (goes in the dugout, etc) tie ball game. It's possible he gets gunned but not likely.
Double Talkin' Jive...
JohnnyTexAg1995
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

I don't think it was intentional. I do think they were trying to brush him back. That situation is not one in which you hit the guy that pimped a homerun his last AB. But, in Garcia's defense, the heat of the moment got the best of him and it's not like it didn't happen before. Abreu looked like he was as having control issues and we were about to start rocking him.

The benches being cleared changed the whole game. LeClerc went cold, the Astros were like a hornets nest that got disturbed, and the Rangers were deer in the headlights.

Explain to me like I'm 5 why on a deep fly ball to left center, Josh Smith doesn't tag and get to third. Let's say he takes off and the throw from the outfield gets past the third baseman (goes in the dugout, etc) tie ball game. It's possible he gets gunned but not likely.
he definitely would have been easily safe if he tagged
MrCoachEricTaylor
JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

I mean it was clearly a product of time and place. Garcia hit a huge bomb and pimped it with all get out. He had to know he was going to at minimum get his tower buzzed next time up. But with Abreu, it was in the very first pitch of the next AB, if you're going to intentionally hit someone that's when you do it. Not on a 0-2, 2-0, 3-1, whatever count. With the totality of circumstances you can pretty much assume it's intentional. And honestly as a Rangers fan and trying to stand back without being objective, I didn't have a problem with the ejections. Abreu hit him with pretty high heat in that situation, Garcia clearly escalated the situation WAY over the top, and Dusty was defending his guy so I don't blame him at all.
MelvinUdall
No way, in an ALCS, was that intentional, that isn't even good baseball to do that…in May, sure, not game 5 of the ALCS down 2 runs and a runner on first. Believing that it was intentional, is asinine.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
MelvinUdall said:

No way, in an ALCS, was that intentional, that isn't even good baseball to do that…in May, sure, not game 5 of the ALCS down 2 runs and a runner on first. Believing that it was intentional, is asinine.

And on the flip side of that, if it was intentional, I don't think it's on Dusty. Abreu could have just gone boneheaded and did it himself in a warped sense of payback, cause that's what teammates do. Again, not convinced it was intentional but it could have been a lapse of reason on Abreu's part.
Double Talkin' Jive...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.