***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

863,885 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

In! I think we are a 100+ win team next year with a good bullpen and left field addition. Also an upgrade at manager.

I'm thinking 92-95 wins still. We have had tough luck with injuries the past few years (minus most of 2022)
Mr.Bond
AG
Wabs said:

My priorities (some of which posted on the season thread).

1. Left Fielder (Lourdes Gurriel?)
2. Bullpen (Neris and Hader)
3. Mid-level SP (Sonny Gray type)
4. Backup catcher (Diaz starts, see ya Maldy)
5. Lock up Altuve and Bregman
Thats a wet dream wish list
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Wabs
AG
https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-insider-3-dusty-baker-replacements-houston-astros-manager-01hdhh03axd4?a_aid=36534&fbclid=IwAR3KV9J_tm2S8uJLNn6w-j0fDpLz90lMVpeSTWe0-Um_IkT1FGleODQhc6Y

3 Dusty replacements: Espada, Ron Washington, some bench coach from Seattle.
JDUB08AG
AG
Wabs said:

https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-insider-3-dusty-baker-replacements-houston-astros-manager-01hdhh03axd4?a_aid=36534&fbclid=IwAR3KV9J_tm2S8uJLNn6w-j0fDpLz90lMVpeSTWe0-Um_IkT1FGleODQhc6Y

3 Dusty replacements: Espada, Ron Washington, some bench coach from Seattle.

" There is always a chance that Baker could have a change of heart and return to Houston. After all, considering the team's success under Baker, they would surely welcome him back with open arms. "
Wabs
AG
I know it may be "too soon", but what about Mitch Garver as a backup catcher and DH? Too expensive for us for that role?
gambochaman
AG
Need a sports psychologist and an exorcist to figure out wtf happened at MMP this year above all else
Ag_07
AG
Some good names on this list of potential managerial candidates

https://climbingtalshill.com/posts/5-potential-replacements-for-dusty-baker-as-astros-manager-01hdgvhp7vv0

Counsel
DeRosa
AJ's bench coach
Pirates bench coach
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

I know it may be "too soon", but what about Mitch Garver as a backup catcher and DH? Too expensive for us for that role?
I wouldn't hate it. Not sure how much catcher is left in him, but he'd be a nice DH/bench bat. He's going to be relatively cheap too (3/30 M spotrac projection). It would be more of a nice to have than a need. We hit left-handed pitching fairly well as is with our core plus McCormick, Dubon, & Pena all good #s vs LHP.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

https://climbingtalshill.com/posts/5-potential-replacements-for-dusty-baker-as-astros-manager-01hdgvhp7vv0

Counsel
DeRosa
AJ's bench coach
Pirates bench coach
I kind of like this resume.

Quote:

George Lombard

George Lombard may not be a name that is incredibly familiar to Astros fans, but the man he has worked under for three years sure is.

George Lombard has been the bench coach for the Detroit Tigers since 2021, working under the Astros legend A.J. Hinch. Before becoming the Tigers bench coach, he spent three years as the Dodgers first base coach.
Lombard does have some experience as a manager in the minor leagues. In fact, Lombard managed the Red Sox Golf Coast League team in 2011, the first professional team Betts ever played for.

Lombard also has experience in the front office. He was promoted from Gulf Coast League manager to minor league outfield/base running coordinator in Boston, before filling the same role in Atlanta. He was also the Braves minor league field coordinator.

With a blend of coaching and front office experience, Lombard would bring a blend of on field expertise and an analytical mindset. He's cut his teeth in winning franchises in Boston, Los Angeles and Atlanta, and has spent three years under a World Series winning manager in A.J. Hinch.

Lombard will be hired somewhere this offseason. Houston would be a good landing spot.
Farmer1906
AG

I never want to hear about the damn batter's eye again.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

Counsel
DeRosa
AJ's bench coach
Pirates bench coach
I kind of like this resume.

Quote:

George Lombard

George Lombard may not be a name that is incredibly familiar to Astros fans, but the man he has worked under for three years sure is.

George Lombard has been the bench coach for the Detroit Tigers since 2021, working under the Astros legend A.J. Hinch. Before becoming the Tigers bench coach, he spent three years as the Dodgers first base coach.
Lombard does have some experience as a manager in the minor leagues. In fact, Lombard managed the Red Sox Golf Coast League team in 2011, the first professional team Betts ever played for.

Lombard also has experience in the front office. He was promoted from Gulf Coast League manager to minor league outfield/base running coordinator in Boston, before filling the same role in Atlanta. He was also the Braves minor league field coordinator.

With a blend of coaching and front office experience, Lombard would bring a blend of on field expertise and an analytical mindset. He's cut his teeth in winning franchises in Boston, Los Angeles and Atlanta, and has spent three years under a World Series winning manager in A.J. Hinch.

Lombard will be hired somewhere this offseason. Houston would be a good landing spot.

What if any is his crossover with Dana...that could be an interesting tie in that wasnt mentioned..maybe because there wasnt any cross over at the Braves
texasaggie2015
AG
Lombard and DeRosa are both in play and will likely get interviews
Project Gemini
AG
I hope we dont have to hear about Ausmus again
JDUB08AG
AG
Derosa just seems like the coolest guy
jkag89
I never liked the what they did when the took out Tal's Hill so with all the brouhaha over that batter's eye due the poor home record down the stretch and postseason. do they'll rework it in the offseason?

Missed the post above. So it looks like they'll be doing some modification.
agproducer
AG
My winter wish list for the Astros:

LF: Get Lourdes. Having a Gurriel on the team just feels right. Or bring Teoscar back.
Bullpen: Neris and Hader. If they miss out, look at Jorge Lopez.
SP: One or two of these: Eduardo Rodriguez, Blake Snell, Lucas Giolito (I think the Astros can fix him on a 1-2 year deal) or Jack Flaherty. No more than 3 years for these guys.
Backup C: Caratini or Omar Narvaez.
Manager: DeRosa or Espada. Please no Cintron.
texasaggie2015
AG
Man... the only thing is Teoscar strikes out a TON.
Ag_07
AG
Yep me too

Hard to not like a guy who's worked for the Red Sox, Dodgers, and worked under AJ
scd88
AG
Not a lot of discussion around Espada. Was he "manager in waiting" and that's why he didn't get a gif last year (for this year)? I thought he was a lock to take over for Dusty.
Wabs
AG
Espada is my #1 choice. I assume he's respected in the dugout. Maybe 2015 knows more about that than I would.
texasaggie2015
AG
He and Cintron are both very well liked in the clubhouse
Deluxe
AG
Hope you're ready to start the 2024-25 and 2025-26 offseason threads too cuz we're going back to back.
Ag_07
AG
Wabs said:

Espada is my #1 choice. I assume he's respected in the dugout. Maybe 2015 knows more about that than I would.

I like Espada especially after seeing his moves GM 5

I'd say the things he has going against him are that he's from the regime and if they want to completely clean house and bring in new blood that's not really him. That and Dana may want is guy.

I wouldn't be upset if it was Espada but he's probably not at the top of my list.
RED AG 98
AG
2024 Vengeance Tour! Let's go!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
So we're fine with the current assistant coach to Hinch…but not his former Assistant coach?

Espada was the coach in waiting before dusty arrived so I don't believe he's just a leftover of the Baker era
Farmer1906
AG
I think I found my favorite bargain bin corner outfielder for this offseason. Old man, past his prime Jason Heyward. The Dodgers signed him for league minimum and turned him into a .813 OPS / 121 wRC+ hitter. They were able to achieve this because he basically only played vs RHP (93% of his PA). He kind of fits the Astro's MO as he doesn't strike out too much. Plus he still moves fairly well for a 6'5" 240 34-year-old.
Ag_07
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

So we're fine with the current assistant coach to Hinch…but not his former Assistant coach?

I just said if the goal is new, fresh blood Espada wouldn't fit that bill.

Espada was the coach in waiting before dusty arrived so I don't believe he's just a leftover of the Baker era

I don't think this is accurate. I don't recall ever reading or hearing this. If he was why didn't he get the job when Hinch was canned?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I vividly remember hearing he was the next coach after Hinch and discussions of hiring him when Hinch was fired. The consensus however was don't throw a brand new manager into that so they hired dusty to weather the storm and then we kept resigning him.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Derosa is buddies with Sean Casey, former interim Yankees hitting coach. He better not be coming to town if derosa comes.
Wabs
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I vividly remember hearing he was the next coach after Hinch and discussions of hiring him when Hinch was fired. The consensus however was don't throw a brand new manager into that so they hired dusty to weather the storm and then we kept resigning him.
Plus, at the time, Espada was too close to the "cheating regime" and AJ. Dusty was the right guy at the time - respected league-wide and not connected in any way to the scandal.
KCup17
AG
I don't understand how the batters eye could be the problem when opposing teams crush in our ball park…
W
AG
I would lean toward cleaning house and letting Dana bring in his own manager and coaching staff

gotta have the GM and the manager on the same page in 2024

not a potential repeat of the 2023 dysfunction
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W said:

I would lean toward cleaning house and letting Dana bring in his own manager and coaching staff

gotta have the GM and the manager on the same page in 2024

not a potential repeat of the 2023 dysfunction

I think we want to at least keep the pitching coaches together.
RED AG 98
AG
I agree. Let Dana do his thing. Additionally I would be totally fine if Dana chose Joe, but I want this bad GM - Manager dynamic completely gone.
JDUB08AG
AG
Any rational manager wouldn't have been miles apart from Dana. The way Dusty managed this roster was egregious and malpractice.
Last Page
Page 2 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.