*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

287,451 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Huff optioned, so not making the opening day roster as a third catcher. We knew Winn wasn't making the roster, he needs to pitch consistently at AAA before getting a shot.

DallasAg 94
Getting there. 6 more to cut. 3 will go to 10IL.
IL (3 to 10IL): deGrom, Scherzer, Mahle

Add any possibilities of Urena? Langford? Walsh? Anyone else worth considering?

The 32:
SP (5 to 5): Eovaldi, Gray, Dunning, Heaney + Bradford
RP (9 to 8): Burke, Leclerc, Robertson, Sborz, Yates = Anderson, Church, Hernandez, Latz

C (1+1=2): Heim + Knizner
IF (4+1=5): Jung, Seager, Semien, Lowe + Duran
OF (3+1=4): Carter, Garcia, Taveras + Jankowski
DH/Util (1+1=2) = Foscue, Smith

Barrerro was added. I missing one... Yerry?!

I'm guessing Latz, and Yerry (if he is 32) and then Foscue and Barrerro all get moved.

Jared Walsh and Wyatt Langford moved onto Active Roster. Jung, Seager, or Lowe to IL for Walsh.
rbtexan
S
FWIW...Jeff Wilson's opening day roster prediction 2.0 He emphasizes that a lot of stuff is up in the air at this point with the injuries.

SP: RHP Nathan Eovladi, RHP Jon Gray, RHP Dane Dunning, LHP Andrew Heaney, LHP Cody Bradford

RP: RHP Jose Leclerc, RHP David Robertson, RHP Josh Sborz, RHP Kirby Yates, RHP Jonathan Hernandez, LHP Brock Burke, LHP Jake Latz, RHP Marc Church

C: Jonah Heim, Andrew Knizner

IF: 2B Marcus Semien, 3B Josh Jung, 1B Jared Walsh, 1B Justin Foscue, SS Ezequiel Duran, Util Josh Smith
(this assumes that Seager and Lowe won't be available for opening day)

OF/DH: LF Evan Carter, CF Leody Taveras, RF Adolis Garcia, OF/DH Wyatt Langford, OF Travis Jankowski

I agree with almost all of this. I'm not sure both Walsh and Foscue is a great idea, but what do I know. Regardless, when Lowe and Seager are healthy those are probably the ones that would be gone. Might keep one of them, hard to say.
DallasAg 94
I thought Seager was more likely to be available than Jung.

Latz over Anderson would be a shocker, IMO.

No reason to keep both Foscue and Walsh, IMO. ESPECIALLY, if you think Langford is on the team.
shack009
AG
Is there anybody who thinks Langford isn't on the team, at this point?

Everything I have heard recently seems to talk as though it's a foregone conclusion, but I'm not deep in the weeds like some of y'all.
rbtexan
S
DallasAg 94 said:

I thought Seager was more likely to be available than Jung.

Latz over Anderson would be a shocker, IMO.

No reason to keep both Foscue and Walsh, IMO. ESPECIALLY, if you think Langford is on the team.

re: Latz, he said this:

Quote:

Latz can give the Rangers multiple innings and another left-hander.

I don't know if anyone knows exactly when Seager will be back, he's notoriously tight-lipped about stuff like that.
KT 90
AG
rbtexan said:

re: Latz, he said this:

Quote:

Latz can give the Rangers multiple innings and another left-hander.

This is a good point. The rest of those guys are pretty much 1 inning type pitchers. If a starter got knocked out early sometime, that would be a parade of relievers coming in each inning.
fc2112
shack009 said:

Everything I have heard recently seems to talk as though it's a foregone conclusion, but I'm not deep in the weeds like some of y'all.

Yeah, how can you send down the MLB leader in slugging and OPS for ST?

I know it's just ST, but still - damn.
Tksymm7
AG
fc2112 said:

shack009 said:

He's on the team imo, but his defense in LF makes you think about how you'll deploy him. Do you really want to put him out there everyday in LF and potentially boot a few balls that could cost you some games? No, but if he doesn't play enough in the field how is he supposed to get better playing in that position? I really don't want to make him the primary DH for this reason, but getting his bat in the lineup feels like a must at the moment. He's got the tools to be a good defensive outfielder, he just needs to play it more.
Mr Gigem
AG
Evan Carter on the MLB Top 100 players list
DallasAg 94
fc2112 said:

shack009 said:

He's only batting .214 v LHP. Of course, he is batting .500 against RHP and well the majority of P is RHP, so maybe not that.

Remember when Hamilton had that eye thing with the sun in day games because of his blue eyes. Maybe Langford can't play well at night and ST was only early day games.

I don't even think the thin Az air and lack of movement on breaking stuff would warrant sending him down. The only possible consideration would be to preserve Service Time, but even that is neutralized by the idea of getting an extra draft pick if he wins ROY.

Having said that... until they announce it, he isn't on the 40. They have plenty of room for sure.
_lefraud_
AG
Would be fun if the RoY was a two man race between Carter and Langford
Schall 02
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Evan Carter on the MLB Top 100 players list

??

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-100-players-team-by-team-2024

fc2112
DallasAg 94 said:

He's only batting .214 v LHP. Of course, he is batting .500 against RHP and well the majority of P is RHP, so maybe not that.

Langford has a reverse platoon split? I had no idea. If so, he just needs practice. As a righty, he should scorch southpaws.
_lefraud_
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39652798/mlb-rank-2024-baseball-top-100-players#tex
Tksymm7
AG
Juan Soto is the one I have trouble with. He hasn't been a top five, let alone top 10 player in baseball for going on two years. He was top five before he was traded by Washington, but since then it's been pretty average results. Just a ton of walks really.
shack009
AG
Gereift Cole undergoing MRI on elbow. Famous last words.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Saw that and had about the same thought. Seems like that almost always ends in a see you middle of next year.
Tksymm7
AG
Yankees would immediately become buyers for Snell imo.
KT 90
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Yankees would immediately become buyers for Snell imo.
yep, Scott Boras is licking his chops with both Snell and Montgomery ready to be signed by somebody. Just waiting for another SP or two to go down and for the right team to get a little desperate.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think it would be Monty, as he's already pitched for them and didn't love it, but Snell going would help/
CowtownAg06
AG
Yanks also in year 3 of the CBT. They get taxed 110% on any additional $.
KT 90
AG
I didn't realize he was dealing with any issues :

DallasAg 94
This is a disaster for the Yankees.

Cole was their ONLY sure SP bet for 2024. Everyone else has been injury riddled. They've got 6 more years of Cole at $36M per.

Stroman mocked Cashman and the rotation he put together. Good thing he swallowed and signed Stroman.

Additions:
Stroman (32): 25GS, 3.95, 136.2 IP

2023 Hold-overs:
Rodon (30-L): 14GS, 6.85, 64.1 IP
Cortes (28-L): 12GS, 4.97, 63.1 IP
Schmidt (27): 32GS, 4.64, 159.0 IP

Possible #5 replacement:
Weaver (29): 3GS, 3.38, 13.1 IP. Career 5.14 in 106GS. 6.40 in 25 GS in 2023

Gil (25)
Beeter (25)
Gomez (24)

IMO, signing Snell would be dead money in 2024. I don't think they have enough SP without Cole even with Snell. With both Snell and Monty being LHP, the Yankees already have 2 and while that may be an advantage against the Rangers... it could be another cause for concern to add a 3rd or 4th LHP.

I would think this might give Monty to BoSox more legs. BoSox might see an opportunity to climb over NYY?!

Pure disaster for the Yankees. And if Judge and Stanton struggle with their health... Yikes.
DallasAg 94
I guess that answers the Latz question.

I didn't realize either. I just assumed he was being brought along slowly.
fc2112
If Judge and Stanton struggle, it's fire sale time in New York (again).
DallasAg 94
I know it is only ST... but:

Stanton: 8G, 21 AB, .143
A Judge: 6G, 14 AB, .143

DallasAg 94
Again... ST. Sample Size:

Stroman: 3GS, 1.74 ERA, 10.1 IP, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1.04 WHIP
C Rodon: 2GS, 6.35 ERA, 5.2 IP, 3 BB, 6 SO, 1.59 WHIP
NCortes: 3GS, 8.10 ERA, 10.0 IP, 2 BB, 13 SO, 1.90 WHIP
Schmidt: 3GS, 5.19 ERA, 8.2 IP, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1.04 WHIP

Weaver: 1GS, 3G, 6.75 ERA, 5.1 IP, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1.50 WHIP

DallasAg 94
Lost in the shuffle of watching the Yankees demise... we have baseball...

I think this lineup says, "Bochy knows what he is doing and everyone plays everywhere."

Langford @ DH... he needs to have a routine when not in field.
Duran @3B? Might as well get some hot-corner updates.
Foscue @1B? Might as well expose him now, I suppose.
Smith @SS? Anywhere. Everywhere.
Barrerro @RF? Did not see that coming. Well, if you want to stash a player like that... put him in a position that at 531 Career Games... he has played a grand total of 1 time. Last thing you want is to show good defense.

Rangers up 2-1 B2 against Anaheim Angels of Los Angels.

rbtexan
S
I've never seen anyone read more into random ST game lineups than you, brother. Props!
DallasAg 94
You'll thank me later.

I'm ready.
gigem1223
Langford and Carter are machines
fc2112
investorAg83
AG
Regarding Foscue at 1b, I was listening to a fantasy draft breakdown with experts on Sirius XM this weekend and they talked about a guy in their league that drafted Foscue as the backup for Lowe. And it didn't seem like there was a question that if Lowe misses time to start the season, Foscue is the 1B.

Thought it was odd to be so sure…
Grapesoda2525
fc2112 said:

I'll say it a million times I don't care…..so glad the tigers took Clark.
First Page Last Page
Page 83 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.