Business & Investing
Sponsored by

The reason we should not be concerned about inflation

77,521 Views | 476 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Red Pear Realty
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIVE UPDATES

UPDATED FRI, FEB 24 20231:48 PM EST

Dow drops more than 300 points as a hot inflation report rattles Wall Street
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/24/the-fed-cant-tame-inflation-without-more-hikes-paper-says.html
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Fireman
AG
It's almost like pouring 2+ trillion dollars into the economy is alot of money.
Robert L. Peters
Well, this thread certainly needs a little bumpity bump.

Here we are. The leftists have conceded that they cannot stop inflation and protect their buddies at the same time. The FED will reverse course and lower the fed rate.

Maybe OP was right, we don't need to worry about inflation, we need to worry about hyperinflation.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
cgh1999
AG
The Green Dragon said:

Here we are. The leftists have conceded that they cannot stop inflation and protect their buddies at the same time. The FED will reverse course and lower the fed rate.

Maybe OP was right, we don't need to worry about inflation, we need to worry about hyperinflation.

It took 40+ years of the fed pumping extra money into the economy for us to get this fat. It's baffling to me that they would try to fix it in a year.
Señor Chang
AG
Any word on when this transitory period of inflation is going to end?
Redstone
AG
I remember being in CA four years ago, shocked to see 3.50 per gallon (gasoline for vehicles).

And now, in TX?
aggiedaniel06
AG
Ah my favorite thread made it to the top!
Redstone
AG
What is more rational than believing that inflation is transitory?

Believing in Bigfoot riding the Loch Ness Monster while Martians, under the control of the preserved head of Elvis in a Mayan space exploration capsule, drop unicorn kill-bots on Earth.
TexasAggiesWin
S
The thread that keeps on giving
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Señor Chang said:

Any word on when this transitory period of inflation is going to end?
Hell, I went back and re-read the OP.

He stated that not only was the inflation going to end, but that prices would return to what they were prior to their inflationary rise, and that then deflation would be a concern!

WTF! -- I hope by now he's put down the crack pipe.
Rapier108
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Pinochet
What do you think OP's new account name is? Surely he's so embarrassed at being so wrong and digging his heels in that he just gave up and nuked his old account.
Carlo4
AG
Forgive a lack of source. It was the Wall Street journal.

They discussed in an article about how much money was saved up in the Pandemic and how Americans, on average, have depleted 95% of those savings by just buying stuff. Now that student loans have kicked into gear, I'll be curious what happens now that debt will skyrocket.
Casey TableTennis
AG
Carlo4 said:

They discussed in an article about how much money was saved up in the Pandemic and how Americans, on average, have depleted 95% of those savings by just buying stuff. Now that student loans have kicked into gear, I'll be curious what happens now that debt will skyrocket.

Auto/home delinquencies are back at pre-pandemic levels. I believe unsecured debt is as well, but haven't put eyes on that recently.

My expectation is credit is already maxed out, not about to be for most that tried to keep the stimulus party going.

Ultimately, believe this trickles into finally seeing some modest slowing of consumer spending through the holidays.
evan_aggie
AG
Carlo4 said:

Have they kicked into gear? All I've read is how more we forgiven and continued deference through bureaucratic gamesmanship with companies needing to dot Is and cross Ts.
Oldag2020
AG
Bump

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/12/13/fed-lowers-inflation-forecast-for-2024-seeing-core-pce-falling-to-2point4percent.html
Pepper Brooks
AG
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
aggiebq03+
Oldag2020 said:

Bump

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/12/13/fed-lowers-inflation-forecast-for-2024-seeing-core-pce-falling-to-2point4percent.html

Sure seemed like a long 2.5 years of inflation to me. And prices aren't coming back down.

Maybe hold up on spiking that foodball. How much do things cost now compared to your original post?

https://www.jpmorgan.com/insights/outlook/economic-outlook/cpi-report-november-2023#:~:text=%E2%80%9CEven%20though%20the%20pace%20of,since%20the%20end%20of%202021.

Quote:

Even though the pace of inflation is slowing, consumers are still feeling the bite. While Wall Street tends to focus on the headline YoY pace of inflation, which came in at 3.1% in November, consumers are focused on prices staying elevated with broad inflation up 17.9% since the end of 2021.
Pinochet
Oh man. This spiking isn't going to go the way OP thinks it is. Somehow he is reinforcing that he doesn't know what the **** he's talking about while also showing he created a new account because he was so embarrassed by his embarrassingly bad take.
Redstone
AG
These 2 threads still belong to me and my friends.

I'll be back, don't worry
Pepper Brooks
AG
This is Progs sock, right?
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Redstone
AG
Any Home Alone fans?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/12/08/home-alone-grocery-prices-kevin-mccallister-1990-2023/71826081007/

YouBet
AG
Oldag2020 said:

Bump

You serious, Clark?
insulator_king
AG
Well, I am enjoying this transitory drop in gasoline prices. but they have already gone up 30-40/gal in the last week.

will25u
Bump?
jagvocate
AG
Inflation arrives in waves. Just because it slows down doesn't mean it's done.
Aglaw97
AG
Going back to the OP, I stated this in another thread, but this is an example of twisting yourself in a pretzel to see what you want to see (confirmation bias). Of course you could argue there were deflationary factors out there coming out of COVID. I think its wrong to take the leap the OP took that we could print as much as we want without consequences. That is simply never true.

But anyone just taking a step back from all the metrics could see that increasing the money supply by ~$7 trillion over about 2.5 years would lead to inflation regardless of what deflationary factors were at play.

Now to the notion of a "soft landing" since that's been the buzz phrase. How do you define soft? Do you reset the Feds historical goal of 2% inflation to argue we are landing "softly"? What if it take 5-6 years to get back near 2%? Is that "soft"? Even if inflation is decreasing, when it's decreasing from a historically high number, that's still way off the target.

Point being you can argue whatever you want and flash a bunch of fancy metrics and arguments, but you simply cannot radically and in a short period of time flood the market with money and expect there to not be inflation, let alone deflation. You then have two choices: (i) try to engineer a "soft landing" or (ii) take the Volcker approach. I'm not necessarily advocating for either, but clearly "temporary" inflation has, not surprisingly, not been the reality the OP claimed three years ago.
Philip J Fry
AG
Saw this in politico this morning and it reminded me of this thread.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/02/16/democrats-economy-inflation-column-00141816

Quote:

Their logic: Workers would have more leverage to demand higher wages, as employers competed for employees. With higher incomes, people would be able to spend more, which would fuel the economy by creating demand for goods and services. It could also yield higher productivity, as companies invested in technology to better meet demand.
Higher wages, higher growth, higher productivity. Win-win-win.

There's a chance we're headed down that exact path, and yet, Americans don't seem very enthused.

Because they really hate inflation.

For the coalition that has supported this agenda Democrats to the left of Larry Summers, along with economists representing a range of ideologies the economy today is a policy success more than a decade in the making. And the fact that it hasn't yet translated into political success is a worrying challenge for them and President Joe Biden.

Congrats. You got exactly what you wanted. The destruction of the middle class.
jagvocate
AG
Do these people ever look at data?

Data set 1: Look at the purchasing power of the US Dollar since the creation of the Federal Reserve in 1913

Data set 2: Look at median wages (inflation adjusted) for workers since the 1970s.

Conclusions: Inflation is the goal and workers never can keep up.
Redstone
AG
Inflation Picks Up to 3.2% in Unexpected Turn

Higher Core prices, which exclude food and energy items in an effort to better track inflation's underlying trend, were up 3.8% from a year earlier

https://www.wsj.com/economy/inflation-february-cpi-report-interest-rate-b827c0e7

Oh look, still a disaster zone, exactly like I said it would remain in my first post to this thread -
LMCane
Robert L. Peters said:

what's amazing is we were making the SAME posts ONE YEAR AGO about stubbornly high inflation in this thread...

but trust the FED!
LMCane
Redstone said:

I remember being in CA four years ago, shocked to see 3.50 per gallon (gasoline for vehicles).

And now, in TX?
$4.39 a gallon

for not even the highest octane here in Bethesda, MD Sunday...
TTUArmy
With rewards at Market Street, filled up the F150 with "86" octane at $2.64 p/gal. I still paid too much for groceries. Hard to beat the fresh produce section though.
NoahAg
OP, is this deflation yet?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.