Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Pitfalls of Opening a Franchise Restaurant

16,460 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by lb3
Decay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a Target nearby? I'd assume you'll have similar clients. If there's one, it will tell you what you need to know.
jja79
AG
Mentone thinks Orla is the middle of nowhere.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Don't do it

EOT
TommyGun
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

jetch17 said:

Someone franchise an actual decent texmex place in midland - even sh*tty Chuys rakes it in out there. I wish someone would put a ninfas/el tiempo/lupes out there. All the local places blow.

I would never go to a chicken salad place in that town.

All the local wives and fancy oil bois are all tearing up the C&P, cowboy prime, Pi Social spots

According to food board a poster said Midland has better Mexican than Houston

We took a recommendation from one of the boards on here back in 2017 to try La Bodega when my wife and I first moved to Midland. That meal consisted of unseasoned boiled chicken packed into store bought tortillas and the "queso" was Rico's nacho cheese dip. To this day, my wife still brings up that meal as a reason not to trust any advice given out on TexAgs.
500,000ags
one MEEN Ag
AG
Tell your eldest grandson he'd make way more money and work less hours if he just became a directional driller.
OldArmyCT
AG
My son in law invests in fast food joints, has a partial interest in about 10 Fuzzy's, 6 CSC's and 2 Dave's Hot Chickens with options on 8 more in the DFW area. He's cleaning up in the free cash flow department.
CapCity12thMan
AG
this is completely different than being the franchisee and running the day to day
Bobaloo
Most franchise restaurants are a legal means of transferring the wealth of the franchisee to the franchisor. I learned the hard way. If a person has the wealth to start one, simply invest in blue chip companies and let folks like Tim Cook and Warren Buffett run their businesses and grow your weakth
CC09LawAg
Has he considered that this might be his MIL's creative way to get her daughter to divorce him when this deal goes south?
insulator_king
AG
Son should buy and operate a food truck for a couple years first, and then look again at the franchise concept.
CaptnCarl
AG
Someone mentioned being surprised Cork and Pig made it in Midland. C&P makes more revenue on alcohol than food.

Name a restaurant or chain that has done well in Midland that does not serve one or a combination of the following: fried food, pizza, cheese burgers, alcohol. Hell, even Murray's Deli serves pizza, beer and fries, and has an incredible location.

The coffee and tea chains survive because people get their sugar and caffeine fix. Jason's Deli and McAllisters serve sweet tea by the gallon. Don't get me started on the HTOh franchise scam.

The only one competing with Bobby Cox's empire (Taco Villa, Rosas and Texas Burger) in Midland are Chick-Fil-A or places with A++ locations.

Gambling with location and competing with oil field wages is a terrible idea. Open up a mobile home dealership instead.

MIL has poor judgement, at best.

Canyon99
CaptnCarl said:

Don't get me started on the HTeaO franchise scam.

Please. Get started on it as I'd like to hear your thoughts. I've followed them since they started with Texas Tea and the tea concept has blown up with Nobilitea, as well. We know a few folks with some Nobilitea locations. Our small town has one Nobilitea with a HTeaO location being built out right now. I'd never consider opening one of these businesses but the growth explosion is unreal.

CaptnCarl
AG
From what I'm told, the entry fees beyond the franchise purchase are extremely high. A huge amount of revenue goes back to the franshiser in the form of marketing and product supply.

As another poster mentioned it's all about shifting revenue to the franchiser. The franchiser has no risk. The franchisee is playing against the house.

They sale RO water and cups at a huge margin. It's all about transactions per minute.

Great locations can make a killing, but then it's a real estate play of purchasing a great location. So you invest/borrow a million in a new store buildout, only to finding yourself working 6 days a week. Like others have said, you're buying yourself an expensive job.

If I'm investing a huge chunk of money into real estate, I don't want the associated risk of the food and beverage industry.
Canyon99
Understand 100%. I think their franchise fee and buildout costs are around $500,000. Gotta give Justin credit as he's built a monster over the course of less than a decade.
Philip J Fry
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT RESPONDED! I was unhappy with this idea before, and after reading the responses I am now totally sick at my stomach!

Gotta learn how to let him make his own mistakes without taking on the stress yourself.
BQ_2010
AG
Guess it happened
The Fife
Ouch. OP would have been better off going the Los Pollos Hermanos route!
chris1515
AG
I do hope the OP comes back here for the occasional updates for us.
Lake08
Remember Krispy Kreme? 80% of all the franchisees were bought back by corporate. Corporate required purchasing everything from them at rediculous prices.
jja79
AG
Are we sure this is his grandson's operation?
chris1515
AG
I have no clue.
Maybe that could be part of the update!
EvenPar
AG
What exactly makes HteaO a scam? Are you saying the % of revenue going back to the Franchisor/Marketing is higher than other franchises? Or is it something else?

At least from what I've read they have 100 stores open with another 100 under construction or about to start. I don't think they've had one store close (yet). As you mentioned, people want their caffeine - and some of their drive through lines rival Dutch bros lines.

You also mentioned a franchisee is just buying themselves a job. I'd agree that's true for some, if the owner chooses to be the operator, they are buying a job, but I wouldn't blanket that statement. There's countless franchises, HTeaO included, where partners own the store(s) but do not operate the store.

I hope they succeed, a Texas born franchise going national, and taking the Texas brand with them.
chris1515
AG
OP you have any updates on this?
Comeby!
AG
Canyon99 said:

Understand 100%. I think their franchise fee and buildout costs are around $500,000. Gotta give Justin credit as he's built a monster over the course of less than a decade.

I went to one in Frisco for the first time. It's chicken salad, a few options. Not bad. What I noticed is that they plowed a lot into the place with crown trim and beaded board to make it look boutique. In other words, it's going to be expensive just to trim it out. I don't see getting your money back on that in less than 5-7 years.
TequilaMockingbird
BQ_2010 said:

Guess it happened

I'm glad you posted this. I was trying to find it on FB but could not. But I remember at the time that it had a lot of positive response.

If it was me I'd open a Pei Wei.
lb3
AG
The only franchises I see that are consistently open for a decade plus are the big pizza or hamburger franchises. I wouldn't consider anything else. (Except maybe a Timmy's anywhere in Atlantic Canada). Of course all those restaurants can be quite expensive to start.

Oh, I hear that some franchise hair salons did very well pre-Covid but I know nothing about them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.