Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Silver coins

1,324 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by maddiedou
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not a newb to buying silver, but it has all been buying it as buillion. I understand the collecting value, I just never put much stock into it. So all that to preface my question.

I recently came into possession of maybe 100 silver coins - Morgans and Peace dollars, Mercury dimes, etc. Alas, no CC ones, but I got a surprising amount of coins from the late 1800s and depression into WWII eras. Also, some of the coins, to my untrained eye, are in the best condition I have EVER seen. Some to the point that they are almost flawless with no apparent wear to the details. Hell, I think I even have a 1942 missstrike Mercury dime (though not in flawless condition).

Should I send them off to get graded? All of them or only the ones I think that are in great condition, if I do?

Has anyone ever done this and if so what was your experience like.
aunuwyn08
AG
Short answer, yes get them graded it will dramatically increase value.

Long answer, I would go through the coins first making a spreadsheet of coin, date, mint marks. Then after that's complete, do some research on each coin to identify "key dates" and verify to see if you have any of those. I would recommend using the US Coin Redbook to do this. It will have values of coins in it, but don't focus on that information but instead on the other details like known coin variations.

For instance, an uncommon variation in Morgan's or peace dollars is for them to be "proof like" and this increases value 100x typically.

With coin collecting the value isn't just based on montage numbers and condition, these minor details people are unaware of make huge differences.

Also, only get coins graded with NGC or PCS, but again research both companies yourself and how they grade each coin series.

jagvocate
AG
Numismatics are not my thing but I know enough that a legit grade on your best pieces will increase their value a lot. Congrats!

agAngeldad
There is a coun app that will scan and give you an idea of what you have before you Move forward
flashplayer
AG
Get in touch with maddiedou (Texags user). Great resource on coins.
NoahAg
I've got a buddy who's an expert in silver coins. Mind if I call him to the shop to take a look?...

...Best I can do is $50.
maddiedou
AG
Hoosegrow

You can text me at 979-eight two o
l870
Or
Gdog
Prop@gmail.com

Or I can give the info on here

I am a member of PCGS and it would cost you about 30-40 a coin and a 1888 lets say in a 63 which is very hard is only 50-60 dollars

I have rolls of uncirculated coins that I send in and will grade 63-64 And what I mean by rolls nobody has probably ever touched them
maddiedou
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.