Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Whats yalls thoughts on AI?

1,672 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Complete Idiot
jamey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Other than the usual suspects to invest in

I've long thought genetics and AI would eventually combine for some of the biggest break throughs in the history of science and medicine. I don't know if that's 2, 5 or 10 years out but the pieces are coming together now

So I'm buying ARKG for the long term
Ozzy Osbourne
There's no shortage of startups working on practical applications of LLMs, and I have yet to see one succeed. Use that information however you'd like.
Complete Idiot
Do you see how people on this board game markets? To day traders it is not so much investing in good companies as it is about playing the system and gaming money out of it - chart and trend analysis with common patterns that get nicknames predicting this or that.

If you can do that successfully, think about what AI can do? AI managing investments might render all the past indicators invalid as well, new patterns will emerge or perhaps it becomes patternless. But I do think AI managing investments, which has to have been going for a while already, will impact markets somehow.
halfastros81
AG
With regard to managing investments it seems like figuring out how to limit the data that gets searched to good data would be key for AI. Cleaning crap out of data sets seems pretty important. So many dynamic factors enter into it as well . To me it's a tool to help focus human thinking and I'd be afraid to trust it much beyond that. Just a layman's thoughts cuz I know almost nothing about it.

Same goes for broader application I'd think.
chris1515
AG
I've wondered what happens when AI starts using quantum computing power?

My understanding is quantum computing is far more powerful than existing technology, so wouldn't that supercharge AI?
jamey
AG
chris1515 said:

I've wondered what happens when AI starts using quantum computing power?

My understanding is quantum computing is far more powerful than existing technology, so wouldn't that supercharge AI?

I'd like to hear what Roger Penrose would say considering his theory that human consciousness is incalculable and uses quantum effetcs

Physicist and Nobel prize winner, author of some books

Here's a summary of thst book

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadows_of_the_Mind

WestTexasAg
AG
Any smaller AI stocks you guys are gambling on? Obviously, we would have all liked to have bought Nvidia a couple years back. Which stock is next?
jamey
AG
I did not know what smaller AI stocks to buy I'm just using the AIQ ETF that was suggested on this forum recently
Bird Poo
AG
jamey said:

I've long thought genetics and AI would eventually combine for some of the biggest break throughs in the history of science and medicine. I don't know if that's 2, 5 or 10 years out but the pieces are coming together now

It has a .75 expense ratio.
RightWingConspirator
AG
Not sure if it's the worst, but I got stopped out on MSTR at $290 and never got back in.
jamey
AG
Bird Poo said:

jamey said:

It has a .75 expense ratio.

Yeah, not cheap but I'm OK paying someone .75% to do the homework on a bunch of AI stocks. I don't really have the time
jagvocate
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Do you see how people on this board game markets? To day traders it is not so much investing in good companies as it is about playing the system and gaming money out of it - chart and trend analysis with common patterns that get nicknames predicting this or that.

If you can do that successfully, think about what AI can do? AI managing investments might render all the past indicators invalid as well, new patterns will emerge or perhaps it becomes patternless. But I do think AI managing investments, which has to have been going for a while already, will impact markets somehow.
Computer algorithms have been trading markets for 15+ years now.
Complete Idiot
jagvocate said:

Complete Idiot said:

Computer algorithms have been trading markets for 15+ years now.
Some form of computer triggered automated trading probably is 40+ years on at this point.

At some point it was proven those programs were better than the average human investor, and that also was a long time ago.

I guess it can be debatable what we call "AI", but I was under the belief automated or algorithmic trading of 10+ years ago was based on data fed in by humans, triggers programmed in based on human findings/research/etc.

AI would be something like discovering trends and patterns beyond what human traders key on, maybe that has already happened to but I haven't heard of it but am also admittedly not well versed on the topic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.