Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What is the worst financial mistake you made?

15,624 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by MouthBQ98
M4 Benelli
How long do you want to ignore this user?
halfastros81 said:

It wasn't huge but I got burned loaning money to friends on several occasions . I'm not talking $100, more like $2k in one case and $5k in the other. Nothing in writing . I didn't even put any terms on it . Pay me back when you can. Both disappeared . Won't do that again. Over 30 yrs ago… I guess they just never could get their finances straight

The take away for me , don't assume people have the same sense of pride and ethics that you have.

Worth the loss to out these cads as fraudulent friends. Hold your head up high on that one.
M4 Benelli
Hoyt Ag said:

If you ask my family it would be spending so much on travel and dive trips. I disagree though. I'm 41 and have been to 80 countries and scuba dived 30 countries and 4 continents. It's my passion and what I spend my milk money on.

It's better than hookers and blow, so has to be a win, right?

Vacations is one of the few splurges that are worthwhile.

Experiences with loved ones is what you will be reminiscing on your death bed. No regrets, don't wait until you're a geezer to see the world.
El Chupacabra
halfastros81 said:

It wasn't huge but I got burned loaning money to friends on several occasions . I'm not talking $100, more like $2k in one case and $5k in the other. Nothing in writing . I didn't even put any terms on it . Pay me back when you can. Both disappeared . Won't do that again. Over 30 yrs ago… I guess they just never could get their finances straight

The take away for me , don't assume people have the same sense of pride and ethics that you have.
I sold a Pioneer head unit and some subs to a friend of mine in 1996...he only paid me $50 of the agreed upon 3 or 4 hundred. We weren't friends ever again after that. I should have just beat him up, took the stereo back, and had a bro hug, but nope.
NoahAg
M4 Benelli said:

Hoyt Ag said:

If you ask my family it would be spending so much on travel and dive trips. I disagree though. I'm 41 and have been to 80 countries and scuba dived 30 countries and 4 continents. It's my passion and what I spend my milk money on.

Experiences with loved ones is what you will be reminiscing on your death bed. No regrets, don't wait until you're a geezer to see the world.
Very close family friend worked hard, invested, and saved for several decades. Lived very frugally. Always planned to travel with his wife in retirement.

He retired, they bought a vacation house, and died soon after, not having much time to travel or enjoy retirement.
MAROON
AG
Not buying Apple when Jobs came back
Tex117
AG
NoahAg said:

M4 Benelli said:

Hoyt Ag said:

Very close family friend worked hard, invested, and saved for several decades. Lived very frugally. Always planned to travel with his wife in retirement.

He retired, they bought a vacation house, and died soon after, not having much time to travel or enjoy retirement.
Its all a balance man.... Its hard to strike.

Its easy to "live your life" when you are younger. College and early career, there are lots of people coming in and out of your life, lots of energy, constantly changing scenes...older though...its tougher. It has to be a much more deliberate choice.. .or ya just get caught kinda withering it away day by day. Work, home, dinner, TV...repeat.
MouthBQ98
AG
I thought about buying some Bitcoin with it was literally $40 a coin a long long time ago when I first heard about it. Also thought about using my computers to mine it early on but decided protein folding would be more useful to society.

Of course, being a young adult in the late 90's and early 2000's I had plenty of opportunities to buy whatever stock in its early years and never did, though I had an idea what was going up be a winning tech in some cases.

Woulda coulda shoulda….

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.