Business & Investing
Sponsored by

403b vs 457?

752 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by ATX Advisors
Iamsocool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently took a job as a faculty member at a university.

I am trying to weigh the benefits (if any) of rolling over my old 401k (now IRA) from my previous employer into one of these two plans offered through my current employer.

Does anyone have any experience with these two plans (403b or 457)? There is no match associated with these, and I am not sure if there would be any benefit vs leaving my money in an IRA and contributing to that separately.

Thanks.
dallasiteinsa02
I wouldn't roll my IRA into either, but not sure if you can with a 457. You have more flexibility and don't risk surrender penalties on the 403b if you choose to move it.
Pinochet
Once you rolled it from the old 401(k) to an IRA, I don't know that you can send it back to some other qualified plan. If it's still in the old company's 401(k), it didn't automatically become an IRA.
ATX Advisors
Sponsor
Iamsocool said:

I recently took a job as a faculty member at a university.

I am trying to weigh the benefits (if any) of rolling over my old 401k (now IRA) from my previous employer into one of these two plans offered through my current employer.

Does anyone have any experience with these two plans (403b or 457)? There is no match associated with these, and I am not sure if there would be any benefit vs leaving my money in an IRA and contributing to that separately.

Thanks.

I would roll the IRA into the qualified plan (401k, 403b, 457, etc) only if the plan costs were very low and choices were very broad. One motivator to consolidate IRAs into one of those plans would be if you want to reduce the IRA balance to zero so that you can do Back Door Roth IRA contributions in the future.
Sponsor Message: ATX Portfolio Advisors; FEE-ONLY (When You're Up) Financial Planning & Wealth Management
https://www.atxadvisors.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.