Houston Country Clubs

213,794 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by MechEAgg
SuperAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just getting the conversation back on with this one.

I'm on the SW side, closest courses being BreaBurn, Wildcat, Quail Valley, Pearland, Greatwood, Clear Creek.

Would love to join a "home" course, but cannot justify $500+ per month plus a big initiation fee.

Are there any with reasonable monthly dues on my side of town? Seems like lots of options on the North side of town. Not so much to the SW.
StEdsCOOG
Have you checked Riverbend?
Aggie369
AG
Deciding between
-Falcon Point (didn't love it when I played...lots of 5 woods off the tee)
-Hearthstone
-Willow Creek

I only care about the golf course really, other amenities are nice but a better course will trump anything

Any members have anything to add? How did the courses do during freeze? Slow rounds?
green tea
AG
No real solution for you on the monthly fees, but if you want to avoid the high initiation now is the time to do it at Braeburn. Going up to $50K after the course reopens in the early fall.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
That's a bit of a spread. Where do you live?
Aggie369
AG
Bridgeland

Each of those is 25-35 min from my house
No Le Hace
AG
We are considering applying to Houston Oaks. I am not a golfer, but I am interested in other amenities like skeet shooting, fishing and some of the activities for kids. What is the culture of the club like?
98Ag99Grad
AG
I was a member at Hearthstone about 10 years ago. 27 holes. Layout isn't bad but nothing special either. The tee times on the weekend was dominated by their "racks" which were large groups of guys who had times blocked off for their groups/games. Most of the members live in the neighborhood and have been there forever. Nice people overall but I wouldn't join again unless I've there.
jja79
AG
I sent you a PM with my contact information. My son and I have been members for 13 years since he was 5. Get in touch and I'll be glad to share what I know.
nothingtoseehere
I'm looking at these 4 clubs based on being 15-20 minutes from my house and having initiations less than $10k, I pulled the last initiations from previous posts and trying to get an idea whether these are still in the ballpark for a 37yo.

Westwood - $7k with ~$600/mo in dues - 15 minutes from the house
Sugar Creek - $5k with ~$600/mo in dues - 18 minutes from the house
Riverbend - $1k with ~$465/mo in dues - 21 minutes from the house
Pine Forest - $3k with ~$500/mo in dues - 21 minutes from the house

Any corrections here, any waitlists that you know of? Not really looking for social scene (although I'll take it, I just don't want to pay $50k for it), just want a nice place to start playing more golf.
Aggie369
AG
I think there is a bit of a wait at pine forest...make sure u factor in paying for carts, driving range, and a locker in your monthly estimate
nothingtoseehere
Just heard 6 months for Pine Forest. I'm leaning towards Riverbend.

Sugar creek junior is only to 35 so I'd be full member, it's $12k for full membership.
Karl Hungus
AG
How old are you?

There might be a bit of a wait at Riverbend for under 40 right now - but not long
Sazerac
AG
I really liked the short time I spent at Riverbend.
nothingtoseehere
37, she said it was 1-2 months for junior member but I could go athletic membership while I wait and will be able to use facilities and pay green fees when I play golf.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Heard good things about Riverbend and the men's locker room was really cool. Sugar Creek just finished a remodel of all 27 holes I think so it should be looking pretty good, but no idea if its worth the $12k initiation fee they're wanting. have you been to play any of them?
cj2011
I'm looking to join PF. Currently 3-4 month wait for young exec. If you don't want social or amenities then Riverbend would probably best bang for buck. Westwood looks nice and it seems to be golf focused but I don't know what kind of crowd is there. Riverbend and PF seem to have a good core of younger members.

DGAG92
AG
Aggie369 said:

Deciding between
-Falcon Point (didn't love it when I played...lots of 5 woods off the tee)
-Hearthstone
-Willow Creek

I only care about the golf course really, other amenities are nice but a better course will trump anything

Any members have anything to add? How did the courses do during freeze? Slow rounds?

If the course trumps all..Champions, hands down, best golf course(s) in Houston.
Class of 1992
nothingtoseehere
For what it's worth, I've spoken to the clubs and here are the breakdowns as of today:

Full Equity Membership
Westwood - $35k with ~$785/mo in dues
Sugar Creek - $12k with ~$655/mo in dues
Pine Forest - $10k with ~$715/mo in dues
Riverbend - $5k with ~$650/mo in dues

Junior Membership
Westwood - $17.5k with ~$635/mo in dues (36-40 yo)
Sugar Creek - $7k with ~$405/mo in dues (30-35 yo)
Pine Forest - $3k with ~$590/mo in dues (21-40)
Riverbend - $1.5k with ~$504/mo in dues (35-39)
DRE06
AG
Shocked at the Sugar Creek initiation. Severely lacking in the facilities department compared to other clubs. No indoor tennis courts, no resort-style pool (basic rectangle pool), below avg men's locker room, and I don't particularly think their course layout is good. They are positioned well for membership being built in the middle of a lot of houses.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I confirmed with a buddy of mine that's a member at Sugar Creek that those are the right #'s - he did say that he thought you could negotiate with them some to get some throw ins like cart fees included for a year or two to offset that some.
ZosoAg
AG
Anyone know the most recent cost to join Golf Club of Houston?
cj2011
Young Exec (39 and under) is $15k initiation and $500/m. Full member $22k and $625/m. They do a weekday only membership for $7,500 initiation and half monthly dues. You also have access to Black Hawk and Blackhorse.
ZosoAg
AG
Thanks! Any insight into whether or not they decided to take the Tournament course private and when they expect to?
cj2011
I'm not sure about that. I'm not a member but I inquired recently. The location is just too far for me to make sense.
htownag2007
AG
Last I heard from some members was that they were trying to boost membership and then will start limiting public tee times towards the ultimate goal of making both courses private.
Not sure if it will actually happen though.
TommyBoy
htownag2007 said:

Last I heard from some members was that they were trying to boost membership and then will start limiting public tee times towards the ultimate goal of making both courses private.
Not sure if it will actually happen though.
This is correct. I doubt it happens....they get so much revenue from various tournaments on the tournament course that they would have to significantly bump membership to make it financially viable.

I live in the neighborhood and recently did a hybrid membership they were offering. Basically a social membership with access to the practice facilities.....plus small discount to play tournament course. Just don't play enough to justify stroking $22k check and $700/mo
txcincinnatus
AG
I know this is a pretty dated post, but I assume the ~$70k is for young exec membership? If so, will save myself the email to their membership team. A little too rich for me right now. A little surprised only because a coworker recently joined and I didn't realize he had that much $$$.
jja79
AG
I'm 65 so I don't know the answer to your question but I think you pay it out between current age and age 40. My email is on my profile. Shoot me an email and I'll find out.
cab559
AG
Got an email today from Pine Forest that they are going to start developing a long term master plan for the golf course. Guess now is the time to do it with a waiting list.
cj2011
They need to address the drainage problem along cart paths before anything else. 2-3 days of cart path only after a rain gets old.
cab559
AG
Completely agree. If they want to redo the greens (best part of the course) might as well tackle the drainage and the bunkers while your at it. I guess that's a complete redo… I'd be in favor as the drainage and bunkers are my biggest gripe. Greens have always been pure.
SuperAg05
AG
Pearland Golf Club

For those cheapskates like me who want to get that partial country club life on a trailer-park budget, Pearland Golf Club is running their Anniversary sale thing. $150 a year (2 yr min) for membership. 72 hr reservation window. No tee times before 11am Fri-Sun. $10 to walk, $17 cart fee.

rononeill
Had the privilege of playing Braeburn today. The overhaul has transformed the place.
jonj101
SuperAg05 said:

Pearland Golf Club

For those cheapskates like me who want to get that partial country club life on a trailer-park budget, Pearland Golf Club is running their Anniversary sale thing. $150 a year (2 yr min) for membership. 72 hr reservation window. No tee times before 11am Fri-Sun. $10 to walk, $17 cart fee.

It's overall a cheap deal, but that place loves to bait and switch. For example, the guy at the register emphasized that 17 is what the cart fee 'currently' is.

Also the original membership agreement was supposed to last until the beginning of 2023, and walking was supposed to be free. Now the talk has been that free walking was never part of the original written agreement and they only did it as a kind gesture, and they will charge for walking in 2022.

It's a cheap option in the area, but I just hate how it's managed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.