So- post op cervical laminectomy

1,550 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by EliteElectric
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I am a week and a half post C2-T2 laminectomy, I I'll spare you the gruesome images. but the outlook for returning to golf in 2024 looks great. Immediately post op I regained strength, touch and balance I hadn't had in years, so I hope see a few of you on the course next year as well as compete in the GRINT again!!!!

Big Shoulders
That is great news. Because I know unsolicited advice is always the best kind, I will throw this out there: Do the PT until you can't do it anymore.

Good luck getting back on the course!
Trinity Ag
S
Congrats -- I fear that this is in my future.

My stenosis is slowly affecting things in a negative way....
EliteElectric
Trinity Ag said:

Congrats -- I fear that this is in my future.

My stenosis is slowly affecting things in a negative way....

I know a great surgeon if you need a recommendation. Seriously. We went to 3 before going with Dr Meng Huaong @ Houston Methodist
Trinity Ag
S
Thanks! If it comes to that I will take you up on it.

Current doctor has advised watchful waiting and stop high impact exercise. When it starts affecting sleep and daily activity, then surgery is on the table. With golf it is the lack of neck mobility more than pain.

Hopefully it stays that way for a while. The progression slowed dramatically when I quit running 12-15 miles per week. Now just walk & bike.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Big Shoulders said:

That is great news. Because I know unsolicited advice is always the best kind, I will throw this out there: Do the PT until you can't do it anymore.

Good luck getting back on the course!
AG
Best of luck in a smooth recovery! I had to take the last 6 months off because of a couple significant abdominal surgeries and it was more difficult that I imagined. But being back out on the course feels better than it ever did before.

All that's to say: it'll be worth the wait. Get well soon
EliteElectric
exactly 2 weeks post op and so much more strength and balance I can't believe this is even possible. I literally feel 20 years younger
EliteElectric
**Update**

I was given a 12 month recovery period before I could start hitting balls again. Thursday (6 months early!) I was released to start swinging 50-75%, so I went to the range with my 9yo Friday. 25-30 PW's at less than 100%, 10% shank ratio, 10% duff ratio and 80% decent contact and ball flight. Now I am hitting a PW about 50 yds but it's a start and WAY early!!!
Houstonag
AG
Work on your turn at the house. Developing core strength is very helpful especial for those muscles next to the spine. I have had L5 SI problems for a long time and have avoided surgery with shots and exercise. Game is average and I have fun.
EliteElectric
Houstonag said:

Work on your turn at the house. Developing core strength is very helpful especial for those muscles next to the spine. I have had L5 SI problems for a long time and have avoided surgery with shots and exercise. Game is average and I have fun.
Yeah I am doing plenty of PT sessions for that, going on week 14 of twice a week PT so I should be ok there. Although the first 8 weeks I was on a 30lb weight limit for exercise.

Hell, to be honest I am just thrilled I was released to swing 50-75% and start hitting the ball again. These past post op months have miserable
EliteElectric
So a little update-

3 weeks ago I was finally released to swing 100%

I have played 3 rounds of golf

102-TAMU CC (haven't broken 100 since I was ten lol)

89- BCC (didn't hit it well but made some long putts)

90- Caldwell (hit it crisp, but, had no knowledge of the course so put myself in jail too many times)

The Briarcrest round I had my 10yo daughter playing with us. After the round, driving home she says "daddy I didn't play very well today, do you think you played good?" I said not very good, but each round I feel like I am improving so that's very encouraging for me. She reaches over and fist bumps me and says "well however we played guess what?" then she grins ear to ear and says "I'm back playing golf with my daddy again I've waited a whole year for this!"

Melted my heart and made all of this struggle and pain somehow seem worth it!!!!!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.