Charlie Woods

1,623 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by AggieDruggist89
bowhuntr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see he is playing in his local US Open qualifier. I haven't tracked any of his other tournaments other than I know his school won a state championship. Believe it is a small private.

But from what I can tell, he hasn't done much in the junior ranks. Trying to figure out why he is not trying to just win at that level.
'03ag
bowhuntr
Ah, I see he has started playing some AJGA - hasn't done much. I think he needs 2-3 years before any verdict can be made. I know there are touring pros that didn't start golf until later (12+).
bowhuntr
Point of the post - what value does he see in playing these qualifiers? Is he shooting 64s in his practice rounds? I don't get it.
AggieEyes
AG
He's the son of a billionaire....

The golf grind to the top is BRUTALLY hard.

He could be at the beach hanging with super models or work on his game 10 hours a day.

Talent or not, I don't think he'll have the same drive, grit or toughness his father had.
Unemployed
AG
bowhuntr said:

I see he is playing in his local US Open qualifier. I haven't tracked any of his other tournaments other than I know his school won a state championship. Believe it is a small private.

But from what I can tell, he hasn't done much in the junior ranks. Trying to figure out why he is not trying to just win at that level.
He's playing in the qualifier because he can. And it doesn't hurt anything to be playing with players that are far better than you.
watty
AG
People looking to gripe at the kid for trying for the US Open- trying to qualify through the exact process that is in place for people like him- annoy me (sorry).

If you were young and had the index to qualify for entry, wouldn't you want to give it a shot? I'd try it every single year if I was a scratch golfer.
Aggie369
AG
Experience
So if/when he is ready it's not his first try

Just getting experience with USGA run tournaments is worth trying to qualify
Poot
This is all about experience. When you're an aspiring golfer, you play in any tournament you can.
bowhuntr
Poot said:

This is all about experience. When you're an aspiring golfer, you play in any tournament you can.

That's my main question - I can't find that he is playing all that many tournaments compared to his peers. I'm wondering if he thinks it all just going to come to him and that he doesn't have need to do the junior stuff…

Yes, I understand playing with better players - he has plenty his age that are better than him that he hasn't played against. He started AJGA a month ago and tied for 32nd in the field in his first tournament.

Edit to add…found his AJGA ranking 1,460 for his graduating class.

watty
AG
bowhuntr said:

Poot said:

That's my main question - I can't find that he is playing all that many tournaments compared to his peers. I'm wondering if he thinks it all just going to come to him and that he doesn't have need to do the junior stuff…

Yes, I understand playing with better players - he has plenty his age that are better than him that he hasn't played against. He started AJGA a month ago and tied for 32nd in the field in his first tournament.

Why would you think that's how he thinks life works?

He's trying to qualify for the US Open just like hundreds of not thousands of long shots do every single year. Don't overthink it, and don't look for silly ways to try to trash a 16 year old or however old he is.
Unemployed
AG
bowhuntr said:

Poot said:

If his name was Charlie Smith, you wouldn't be giving much thought about him playing in the qualifier. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that you believe that Charlie feels entitled because his dad is Tiger Woods.
bowhuntr
Y'all are thinking I'm way more upset than I am…

I'm questioning why he appears to only be playing PGA qualifying events.

There are many, many opportunities for junior golfers to work on tournament type play. A US open local qualifier doesn't have some crazy pressurized environment.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Is he bypassing some major junior event to do his instead? I have no idea. As someone above posted, if he meets the qualifications for participating in the qualifier then why not? He's likely playing with older guys who are better players so it will be a good experience. But yes, he has a long ways to go to be good even on his current age level. that 15 y/o who came in 20th last week on the KFT is teeing it up again in Dallas this weekend. Woods seems light years behind him as far as ability right now.
bowhuntr
I don't think he is…and yes, there are plenty of kids his age playing in these qualifiers. Go have fun.

But the ones I know are crushing their peers in AJGA.

I was hoping to have a dialogue about his path and the paths for a junior golfer - it's a big topic amongst the golfer parents out there. I.e. how much is too much / how much is not enough when it comes to playing when you want to reach a high level. Charlie is on a path I haven't seen, but his father is also not the typical golfer.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I don't have kids but if I did and they were talented golfers, I would want them play junior events and dominate on that level because I believe winning brings confidence and the more you put yourself in that position the better. if they wanted to sprinkle in stuff like a US Open qualifier then fine for the experience but that wouldn't be what I would have them focus on. The kid playing on the KFT seems to be following this route as he dominates the junior level and has won multiple titles. I think the fact his dad is Tiger makes his a unique case.
bowhuntr
Yes, I think that is the traditional line of thinking with the smart parents not pushing too hard, too soon. I honestly wonder if Tiger thinks all of that is unnecessary…not because he feels entitled but because he thinks Charlie can peak at the appropriate time without doing all the junior stuff.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
bowhuntr said:

Yes, I think that is the traditional line of thinking with the smart parents not pushing too hard, too soon. I honestly wonder if Tiger thinks all of that is unnecessary…not because he feels entitled but because he thinks Charlie can peak at the appropriate time without doing all the junior stuff.
Or maybe he doesn't want to do all the junior stuff. Or maybe his parents...shudder...are letting him choose. It could be any of a number of things.
bowhuntr
Another thought I had - maybe he doesn't really doesn't even care about making it on tour. He could just be playing the golf lottery at these qualifiers like the rest of the population (for fun) and then he'll do something completely different with his life.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Shot a +9 81.

Looked him up and his handicap is a +3, which seems off given his average score on his junior tour is 77 which doesn't align with the 20 scores posted. But whatever. He's among legions of deflated handicaps (need to be -.4 or better) to join one of these qualifiers. Write your check and have some fun
safety guy
AG
I kinda feel sorry for him. Being the son of the most iconic golfer in a generation has gotta be tough. In every interview with him and Tiger, all they talk about is golf. All Tiger can talk about his son is the similarities with his dad. What about other things and interests. School, hobbies, friends, his mom and sister, his half siblings?? There is nothing but golf and comparisons to his dad.
AggieDruggist89
AG
safety guy said:

I kinda feel sorry for him. Being the son of the most iconic golfer in a generation has gotta be tough. In every interview with him and Tiger, all they talk about is golf. All Tiger can talk about his son is the similarities with his dad. What about other things and interests. School, hobbies, friends, his mom and sister, his half siblings?? There is nothing but golf and comparisons to his dad.

I can never understand this. Why would anyone feel sorry for Charlie? He's more fortunate than 99.999% of the population with access to amenities most everyone alive can dream about. To feel sorry for someone, one has to be in a better place mentally, physically, financially, emotionally or situationally etc.

I personally am not in any shape or form in a better place than Charlie... And I'm doing really well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.