Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

How to Pan Fry Fish

1,273 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Mark Fairchild
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, this will shock most of y'all, but I have never pan fried a fish, planked salmon, blackened redfish, but never really pan fried any not blackened. What/How do you do it? Thanks!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Max06
AG
Are you talking skinless filets, skin-on filets, whole fish like trout?

Skinless filets I coat in cornmeal and drop in a non-stick pan with a little butter.

Whole trout I do the same, but no cornmeal.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Skinless, so trout, how 'bout flounder, I can get flounder here in Rockport?
SpiderDude
AG
I bread and pan fry just like you would in a deep fryer. Need about 1/4" of oil in the pan (give or take). Have 2 spatulas (flip with one and use the second to "pad" the fall) when you flip it so you don't splash oil everywhere! Make sure it's completely done on the first side before flipping...the more you handle it the more likely it'll be to break apart! I would recommend the standard: flour, egg wash, then bread crumbs (panko) for battering. Season the flour to taste (you can season the bread crumbs also if desired. Make a homemade tarter FTW...tastes 10x better than anything you buy at the store in a bottle.
B-1 83
AG
This is FIDO's in the fish and game thread. Hands down the best fried fish I make. It easy to modify, but the concept is outstanding.

Quote:

This is good for about 2lbs filets

First I make a beer batter with Shiner and Self rising flour mixed to crepe batter consistency. Usually about a cup of flour and about 10oz beer. Season the batter with some slap yo momma seasoning. Add fish/peeled shrimp and let soak for about 2 hours.

Next I put a sleve of Keebler Club (town house or ritz are fine too) plus a sleve of Keebler Saltines in a food processor with about 1/4 c of parsley (probably about 3 sprigs in a bunch without the big stems) and zest of a 1/4 lemon. Run everything in a food processor until you have some relatively fine seasoned cracker meal. Dump in a large bowl and add in a 8oz box of Panko and a Cup of self rising flour. Season with about 3 tablespoons of Slap ya Momma. Mix well. Depending on my mood I may add 1/2-1C cornmeal or corn flour as well. MSG/accent never hurts either
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
FIDO*98*
AG
Made it last night with some Sheepies we caught in Packery and shrimp from Paul's. The spring breakers down with my kids said it was the best they've ever had. That said, I don't know that it would work great with pan frying. Then again I've never tried.

As far as OP goes. If I'm just pan frying on the Blackstone next to some blackened, I'll make the coating with fairly equal parts flour and corn flour and a bit of corn or potato starch and season with S&P or some slap. Pour a generous amount of oil and pan fry.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Howdy ole D-2 Bud, man Sheepsheads are HARD to catch, what were y'all using? We are fly guys and Sherries are the TOUGHEST to catch on fly!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.