2024-25 Schedule Updates, Rumors, etc.

11,242 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Seven Costanza
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

It is worth noting that since Alabama is in it too maybe they're thinking of just scheduling games rather than it be an actual tournament. If they just went ahead and scheduled the matchups then we could do it, though each individual game would count towards our allowed total of non-con games rather than it being an exempt tournament.

I wonder if you actually could play in two tournaments, you just wouldn't get the game exemption for the second one.

I doubt it on the legal front though because the game limit isn't restricting athlete pay, it's a structural rule of the sport itself that schools agree to in order to participate.
That sounds like an option, just have two 4-team pods and play 3 round robin games. That way, you could have two teams from the same conference, and if they expand to 16 teams in 2025, then 4 teams from one conference (that's right, I'm a math genius).
MarcAg
AG
It said the format has not been decided. Said it could be an 8 team thing or could be two 4 team events. I don't know if Buzz and Oats would honestly have a problem playing in a non-conference game though. It's another quad 1 game on your resume.
bobinator
AG
For a long time I thought you literally couldn't play non-con games against conference opponents except in some weird situations, but there's two Big 12 teams in Maui this year so who knows.
LawHall88
AG
MarcAg said:

It said the format has not been decided. Said it could be an 8 team thing or could be two 4 team events. I don't know if Buzz and Oats would honestly have a problem playing in a non-conference game though. It's another quad 1 game on your resume.
I don't know how many times I want to play Alabama next year.
MarcAg
AG
bobinator said:

For a long time I thought you literally couldn't play non-con games against conference opponents except in some weird situations, but there's two Big 12 teams in Maui this year so who knows.

Two ACC schools played each other in recent years in a non-conference game. Can't remember who it was.

It's not against rules, just never done.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, there's been some in recent years because of the conference realignment shenanigans and the Covid year messing up people's schedules/contracts.

Hell I think a couple teams plays non conference football games against teams in their conference.
20ag07
I just got back from Vegas. Great week on the strip.

I absolutely do not buy this math at all.

$1M+ to (let's face it) non-marquee teams?

Backed by whom?

Nah- I'm not buying it.
jebeka
On3 is saying that CBS is reporting it. It also says that players will be paid NIL for participating. I'm guessing that's 1+ milllion NIL split between 8 teams. Maybe $10k per player?
LawHall88
AG
jebeka said:

On3 is saying that CBS is reporting it. It also says that players will be paid NIL for participating. I'm guessing that's 1+ milllion NIL split between 8 teams. Maybe $10k per player?

Article on Cbssports.com says $1million per team.
BwdAg
AG
Big money backing….

The tournament will be financially backed by RedBird International Media Investments, a subset of RedBird Capital Partners, a multi-billion-dollar investment firm. RedBird IMI is an investment consortium majority funded by the United Arab Emirates
jebeka
Dang! $1mm NIL per team! That's like $100k per player!
Know Your Enemy
AG
jebeka said:

Guessing you weren't a math major.
Know Your Enemy
AG
jebeka said:

Guessing you weren't a math major.
AggByMarriage
BwdAg said:

Big money backing….

The tournament will be financially backed by RedBird International Media Investments, a subset of RedBird Capital Partners, a multi-billion-dollar investment firm. RedBird IMI is an investment consortium majority funded by the United Arab Emirates

I guess the play is to create enough betting events to make it interesting? It's not about marquee opponents, but volume?
Unless my team is there, I would not be watching.
20ag07
Quote:

Big money backing….

Big money didn't get big money by spending it dumbly.

Nothing about this makes sense.

We don't spend close to $1M for our football buy games that put 100K in the stands. Basketball Games in Vegas are going to be VERY lucky to have 5K in attendance.

This is not legit.
MarcAg
AG

A nice game added to the schedule
Ag13
AG
AggByMarriage said:

BwdAg said:

Big money backing….

I guess the play is to create enough betting events to make it interesting? It's not about marquee opponents, but volume?
Unless my team is there, I would not be watching.
I realize A&M being in this makes me biased, but I think I'd be significantly more likely to watch this tournament regardless of A&M's participation than any other random tournament happening in November. Something neat about guys on good teams competing for real cash.

If this is successful and the payouts are as advertised, would think the Blue Bloods will be knocking the doors down to play in this thing in the future.
BuzzFan24
Are managers and GA's getting in on this NIL of $1 million per team?

Would managers / GA's across the country all go on strike in solidarity so they can get a piece of the pie?!!
MarcAg
AG
BuzzFan24 said:

Would managers / GA's across the country all go on strike in solidarity so they can get a piece of the pie?!!
I laughed. No they aren't getting in on the NIL or going on strike. They get a free trip to Vegas if they travel with the team. They know what they signed up for. Can you imagine managers going on strike? And A&M is like; "Oh man please don't leave us managers. How will we ever replace you? We will give you whatever you want!" No they won't. A&M could have a replacement within 2 hours for these dudes.
Method Man
BuzzFan24 said:

You don't get paid for how hard you work. You get paid for how hard you are to replace.
frenchtoast
Nice little schedule shaping up! Could be Top 11.
Tobias Funke
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Big money backing….

Big money didn't get big money by spending it dumbly.

Nothing about this makes sense.

We don't spend close to $1M for our football buy games that put 100K in the stands. Basketball Games in Vegas are going to be VERY lucky to have 5K in attendance.

This is not legit.

Gotta love the attitude of "I'm incapable of understanding this so it must be fake"
JJxvi
AG
It sounds very incompatible with the typical understanding of MTEs, on several levels, IMO and also conflicts with information we thought we already knew. I'm not surprised if anyone thinks it doesnt pass the sniff test for them.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/cbreform/2023D1MBB_MTEFAQ.pdf
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

It's not about marquee opponents, but volume?
It worked for First CityWide Change Bank.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.