National top 150 commits to Buzz

10,303 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by Tobias Funke
AgEfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's interesting, his composite ranking in mid July was 135. Now it's 208.
Schrute Farms
Link to the IG post: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6PmSBGuqOx/?igsh=MWVzZ3FpNjY4OHp3aw==

Buzz follows him on Twitter. Still seems odd.
AgEfan
Schrute Farms said:

Link to the IG post: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6PmSBGuqOx/?igsh=MWVzZ3FpNjY4OHp3aw==

What's odd about it? We have brought in a few talented players of late as walkons that could have gotten scholarships ar lesser programs.
Schrute Farms
MarcAg said:

He probably gets a little NLI cash and they till him he will have the chance to earn a scholarship next year.

He's ranked #2 or #4 in his class (per different outlets). Could he be coming on an academic scholarship?
Schrute Farms
AgEfan said:

Schrute Farms said:

What's odd about it? We have brought in a few talented players of late as walkons that could have gotten scholarships ar lesser programs.

The potential PWO status isn't odd. I think it's the announcement + silence on all Texas A&M's outlets that's a bit off.

ETA: If he is coming as a PWO, that's amazing. He said he loves the style of play and his mother told him to choose academics over a path to the NBA. It's just wild to think we may have landed a player of his caliber (regardless of scholarship status) and don't any info on it.
AgEfan
Schrute Farms said:

AgEfan said:

Schrute Farms said:

The potential PWO status isn't odd. I think it's the announcement + silence on all Texas A&M's outlets that's a bit off.

TexAgs and other outlets don't usually have articles or social media posts about walkons though.
greg.w.h
AG
At least he didn't announce A&M is going to the Big Ten…
AgEfan
He was choosing between Rice, Texas st, North Texas, and Prairie View and instead chose to walk on at A&M. It's not like we got a kid to turn down another SEC school and walk on here. Being able to throw some money at a kid vis NIL makes these things easier to pull off than before. I like the tactic as it's a free shot at a player. Odds are he doesn't do much here, but there is no risk. If he turns into something he can earn a scholarship and it's a win for everyone
AggByMarriage
Schrute Farms said:

AgEfan said:

Schrute Farms said:

ETA: If he is coming as a PWO, that's amazing. He said he loves the style of play and his mother told him to choose academics over a path to the NBA. It's just wild to think we may have landed a player of his caliber (regardless of scholarship status) and don't any info on it.

I would think that being a walk-on doesn't preclude NIL money. I think his "deal / package / NIL offer" just had an adjusted bump to offset the cost of tuition + room and board.

Never thought that NIL would make the issue of getting a scholarship moot, but maybe so.

Hope he has a fantastic career at A&M.

sincereag
My only question is why is this guy not ranked higher and more highly sought after as a recruit? He has the stats and accolades to make it seem he would be ranked higher as a recruit.
JJxvi
AG
Is he really 6'7"?
Rec
Batty
CapCityAg89
AG
*moot

Sorry. Pet peeve.
AggByMarriage
CapCityAg89 said:

*moot

Sorry. Pet peeve.

Corrected. Thanks.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
I hope this is legit.

Kid sounds nice in the interview someone posted. His academic credentials, if true, appear to show evidence of ability to work hard - I mean, to rank near the top of your class in spite of the grind of AAU/EYBL and varsity practice and games is pretty impressive.

Could this be a case of Buzz's extreme loyalty to everyone else on scholarship - especially the veteran players that have been through the grind with him and the team at A&M these last 4 years (I'm specifically thinking of Hefner) that he could not free up a final scholarship spot (after dedicating the three he did have to incoming portal transfers thst were ultimately available once our younger portal transfers, like Lindsay, had elected to move on) for this kid and "execute" what appears to have been one of the earliest scholarship offers he had?

I sincerely hope that might be the case - and that the theories put forward by others on this thread that this kid can get some NIL money to help bridge the gap allows what appears to be a smart, genuine and clearly talented young man to supplement a very small incoming freshman recruiting class this year - and perhaps develop into the next Solo Washington!

Gig'em!

MarcAg
AG
If somebody else doesn't come back and a scholarship is freed up I would imagine that space would be used to try to add somebody else in the portal. If they didn't find somebody, the next likely candidate to receive that scholarship would be Jaelyn Lee (a guy Buzz likes a lot who did the same thing and came as a walkon and hasn't bolted despite limited playing time).
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Thanks for clarifying Lee's status for me.

I wasn't sure if he was a walk-on or not. What's his story?

I know that he has several fans on this forum.
MarcAg
AG
Lee came in 2 years ago as a very talented HS kid but walked on. Last year White and Ringgold did the same. White and Ringgold are now gone. I would like to see Lee improve his game and get some minutes. He is long and the best athlete on the team.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
EliteZags
AG
Jaelyn Lee truther here, throughout the season felt somewhat to a lesser extent reminiscent of the group clamoring tragedy when we were redshirting Manziel- which wasn't as much of a majority as most would think
OldAggie_2
Feel this is politics
Rmj2871
I was told it was a scholarship by his high school coach. I know Coach Grayson at Booker T. as I work for the school district and also coached for a few years when we played against Booker T. Washington. I asked Grayson if the Aggies offered him a scholarship, and he stated yes. He is definitely a good ball player, but definitely needs to work on his jumper. He will need time to develop more before seeing the court his freshman year.
rlb28
AG
Hop, I know you guys were busy with baseball and the draft this weekend, but is Texags going to acknowledge this commit?
MarcAg
AG
rlb28 said:

Hop, I know you guys were busy with baseball and the draft this weekend, but is Texags going to acknowledge this commit?

Do they do write ups on PWOs for football? I've never seen one. So they certainly aren't doing it for basketball.

And yes I read the post above.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
I'm still excited about this kid and hope he is really coming here! Take a look at this award site and note some of the previous recipients...

https://guyvlewisaward.org/

MarcAg
AG
I think it's actually more exciting that they got a kid like this and did not have to use a scholarship on him. If he proves his worth he will get a scholarship, but as others have said he probably has some kind of NIL/academic scholarship deal to where his school is free in the meantime. We might have as many as 7 scholarships free after next season so chances that kids like he and Lee could earn one a year from now if they do well this year and show promise.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Can't have too many good young players with lots of upside!

I like that fact that he is a beast on the boards (multiple 20+ rebounding games) with his scoring likely happening close to the rim based on the report earlier in this thread about the need to develop a jump shot.
NowhereMan
It is a nice recruit but without a 7 footer, an ace three point shooter what does it really do?
Wrighty
AG
NowhereMan said:

It is a nice recruit but without a 7 footer, an ace three point shooter what does it really do?

Did you watch A&M at all this year? Buncha short and bad shooting dudes took a 1 seed to OT in March madness.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
NowhereMan said:

User name (sorta) checks out.
The Marksman
AG

Looking forward to seeing him in the Maroon & White
Leonard H. Stringfield
We need to decide what we aspire to be, contenders or pretenders.
Method Man
Where is he listed as a top 150 player?
Batty
Method Man said:

Where is he listed as a top 150 player?
247 has him listed as the 146 player in the country but hey that's only the first place I looked.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.