First time with Covid

9,401 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by CrystalLakeAgbu
GT_Aggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I never lost taste or smell but I feel like my thinking ability isn't quite the same. Idk how to explain it.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Wife didn't lose taste ability but she says her taste got more sharp. Like she's able to pick up vinegar in a lot more things than before.
agsalaska
AG
My 10 year old son and I tested positive three weeks ago now. My hearing in my right ear has mostly come back and the ringing has mostly faded but it is still noticeable at times. The vertigo is still pretty strong when I lay down but is completely gone once I get up. My boy is still coughing quite a bit. We both feel 100%.

I agree with BigOil. When it came on it was shockingly harsh. I went from 'something doesnt feel quite right' to 'I am really freaking sick' in about 20 minutes.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Ptery83
DukeMu
Silian Rail said:

Gizzards said:

You'll be fine. Don't worry about it. It's not the same disease as in 2020.

That's what I was thinking. Right now it seems like "this isn't very bad at all" and wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be a huge rug pull or something
Same virus infectiousness, but more people are vaccinated or vaccinated + infected. That brings down the average on severity of infection and risk. But it's more contagious, which is a double-edged sword. The B.A.1 and 2 can be nasty for the unvaccinated, especially with hospitalization and long COVID.

Overall that's positive news especially with mutations now prevalent that are subvariants of subvariants - giving our immune systems a chance to keep up.. The boosters provide 5 months of very good protection against infection and even more mitigation of risk against hospitalization. I'm OK with boosters twice a year.

Our son recently tested positive out of state. Fortunately, he's had a booster and has no symptoms. His follow-up antigen test was negative.

I'm not very concerned about the monkeypox, given it spreads by bodily fluids and there is very good protection by the smallpox vax.

BigOil
AG
So how long should natural antibodies from the infection last? I figure I am good to go for the summer without concern… and based on how bad I had it, I might consider a booster for football season and wurstfest as insurance.
KidDoc
AG
BigOil said:

So how long should natural antibodies from the infection last? I figure I am good to go for the summer without concern… and based on how bad I had it, I might consider a booster for football season and wurstfest as insurance.
Roughly six months but it varies from person to person. Three months you are for sure in good shape, some people well over a year still had good titers.

Of course variants may have decreased response.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BigOil
AG
KidDoc said:

BigOil said:

Roughly six months but it varies from person to person. Three months you are for sure in good shape, some people well over a year still had good titers.

Of course variants may have decreased response.

Is it worthwhile to get an antigen blood test to confirm whether a booster is worth considering?
KidDoc
AG
Sure, that is what I do! Informed decisions are usually the best decisions.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
basketaggie
AG
KidDoc said:

What are the good ranges for titers right now? I know before labcorp was testing it was above 2,500, now they are up to 25,000. Is anything above 2500 showing protection then? Sorry, I had mine tested and wasn't sure where I lay on the chart and was having a hard time finding one. Thanks!
VaultingChemist
AG
BigOil said:

Mine were still extremely high 10 months after I was infected.
KidDoc
AG
basketaggie said:

KidDoc said:

What are the good ranges for titers right now? I know before labcorp was testing it was above 2,500, now they are up to 25,000. Is anything above 2500 showing protection then? Sorry, I had mine tested and wasn't sure where I lay on the chart and was having a hard time finding one. Thanks!
Anything over 200 seems to be protective.
CrystalLakeAgbu
Does anyone get tested any more? Is it still required for travel to some countries?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.