Do you use blinkers?

3,163 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by File5
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do you use blinkers when driving?

- Some people see blinkers as a weakness, like asking for permission.
- Some people were never taught that they exist. They don't know what that lever does. Kind of like back windshield wipers or the recirculate button.
- Laziness. Why reach over and burn those extra calories by pushing the lever up or down?

I like blinkers. If I put it on and you speed up to block me, we're going to hit, because I'm coming over. I think of them more as cut-off warnings for people behind me.
fc2112
Always. Those who don't are lazy, selfish troglodytes.

And yes - my blinker is not me asking permission - it's me telling you what's gonna happen regardless of your actions.
chiken
AG
Always! Even when no one is around. It's a pet peeve of mine.
Anchorhold
Si
maroon barchetta
Big ol' headlights >>>>> blinkers
Cromagnum
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Big ol' headlights >>>>> blinkers

ac04
always. people who don't should be put in prison.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Only time I don't would be the occasional lane change when no one else is around
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Why wouldn't you.

When people don't use them, I always wonder if they're thinking, "hey, maybe one day, our top scienticians will come up with some sort of 'signal' that you could use to alert people that you're about to 'turn.' But I suppose this 'turn signal' we're talking about is just futuristic science fiction mumbo jumbo."
Lake08
fc2112 said:

And yes - my blinker is not me asking permission - it's me telling you what's gonna happen regardless of your actions.

I hope some of these posts are troll attempts. U do realize if you're trying to get in another lane that is occupied by another car and get in an accident, it's your fault
Bruce Almighty
AG
Lake08 said:

fc2112 said:

I hope some of these posts are troll attempts. U do realize if you're trying to get in another lane that is occupied by another car and get in an accident, it's your fault

I had a friend in college like this. He turned his blinker on and changed lanes no matter what. His philosophy was that no matter who was driving in the other car, their natural instinct would be to hit the breaks.
Philo B 93
Lake08 said:

fc2112 said:

As long as the front of your car is ahead of the occupied lane, the "Failure to Yield " citation typically goes to the guy who was cut off, ie the a-hole who tried not to let you get ahead of him.
Anchorhold
In heavy rain or fog you have to use both blinkers and slow down in the middle lane.
Sponge
AG
Blinkers?
agz win
AG
Only if traffic is around. Saving the life of the battery and truck.
Lake08
Philo B 93 said:

Lake08 said:

fc2112 said:

As long as the front of your car is ahead of the occupied lane, the "Failure to Yield " citation typically goes to the guy who was cut off, ie the a-hole who tried not to let you get ahead of him.

That is incorrect
DannyDuberstein
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Lake08 said:

fc2112 said:

You get a failure to yield citation when failing to yield right of way when required. Some ahole barely ahead of you in the next lane putting on his blinker isn't one of those situations. If moving over causes an accident, the guy that moved over is gonna be paying. Unless he's in a beater with paper tags and no insurance, in which case you are paying either way
Lake08
Reading some of these idiotic posts, no wonder why our premiums are so high
javajaws
AG
Stopped using them once the blinker fluid ran out.
Lex
Yes. And I will honk and cuss if you{person in front of me who slowed to a stop to turn but didn't use a blinker) don't.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
If I could have a superhero power it would be to instantly flatten all four tires of any vehicle not using blinkers to change lanes or turn a corner.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Nah. And you really can't make me do anything.
gigemags-99
AG
I use an indicator any time I turn. Even in the HEB parking lot. My buddy who is a police detective makes fun of me when he rides with me.
tandy miller
AG
fc2112 said:

So you'll change lanes into someone even if they don't see you just bc you have your blinker on?

What a badass
DannyDuberstein
AG
tandy miller said:

fc2112 said:

So you'll change lanes into someone even if they don't see you just bc you have your blinker on?

What a badass

When you see a pile-up, it isoftentimes due to some ahole like this. "Watch out everybody! He just put his blinker on! There's probably some teenage band girls at the next exit!"
HossAg
AG
fc2112 said:

Initially starred this until I read the 2nd paragraph. If someone has to slow down while you cut them off, then you're driving like a moron.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. I'm a courteous driver and will generally leave/make room for someone who signals, but if I've got someone riding my bumper or there are other conditions that make it dicey at all, your ass is gonna have to find another spot.
Philo B 93
Lake08 said:

Philo B 93 said:

Lake08 said:

fc2112 said:

That is incorrect

Hey, I just looked this up. I WAS wrong. Wow! Ha! I've been so lucky for so many years. But, yeah, everyone listen: Fault does go to the guy changing lanes and using a blinker , NOT the guy tailgating cars to keep anyone from getting in front of him.
Lake08
Philo B 93 said:

Lake08 said:

Philo B 93 said:

Lake08 said:

fc2112 said:

That is incorrect

Hey, I just looked this up. I WAS wrong. Wow! Ha! I've been so lucky for so many years. But, yeah, everyone listen: Fault does go to the guy changing lanes and using a blinker , NOT the guy tailgating cars to keep anyone from getting in front of him.

You actually had to "look it up"? Of course if you're trying to get in another lane and get in an accident, then it's your fault. A blinker isn't the end of be all.
Complete Idiot
Huge, huge pet peeve. When someone doesn't use their turn signal I interpret it as the driver being completely self absorbed, not caring about anyone else. I take it as a lack of respect for fellow humans, like they just don't give a **** about anybody other than themselves. I take it personal.

As I've aged, I've gotten better about that. A bit more accepting - maybe they are stressed, despondent, who knows. I can't know, so why get enraged (like I used to).

But I can't completely let go of my reaction. The reaction to what I perceive as a lack of respect and courtesy applies to using turn signals but also parking situations, behaviors in lines, returning shopping carts, on and on. I admittedly get triggered by this, and I'm not entirely sure where it comes from psychologically.
maroon barchetta
It comes from you being a decent and responsible individual and having the unrealistic expectation that other people are decent and responsible.

They're not.
HossAg
AG
I pretty much always honk when someone brakes and turns without signaling.
jagsdad
Use my blinkers anytime there is someone close enough to need to . If I'm 5 car lengths in front of someone, and I know they're not going super fast so as to cause a problem, yeah I'll slide over without a signal. Same for a turn, If no one is behind me or in front, I don't bother.
CCred92
AG
jagsdad said:

Use my blinkers anytime there is someone close enough to need to . If I'm 5 car lengths in front of someone, and I know they're not going super fast so as to cause a problem, yeah I'll slide over without a signal. Same for a turn, If no one is behind me or in front, I don't bother.
Same here.
Philo B 93
Lake08 said:

Philo B 93 said:

Lake08 said:

Philo B 93 said:

Lake08 said:

fc2112 said:

That is incorrect

You actually had to "look it up"? Of course if you're trying to get in another lane and get in an accident, then it's your fault. A blinker isn't the end of be all.

I always thought "Failure to Yield" would go to the driver with the clear view of the impending collision, not to the driver pulling into a blind spot.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.