*** FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA ***

7,440 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you catfish/siamese cat shaming? Maybe that's what I'm into.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998
AG
I usually take these early reviews with a large grain of salt these days, but in this case I'm buying into the hype simply because Miller has earned the benefit of the doubt. And I for one loved the first two Mad Max movies so I'm actually kind of excited to hear this one falls more in line with those two pacing-wise (at least that's the way I'm readings the reviews).
TCTTS
AG
Tickets acquired for the very first showing, 3 PM on Thursday, May 23rd...

TCTTS
AG
If I suddenly became this famous, there's no way I wouldn't have multiple misdemeanors for punching/shoving these kinds of lunatics…

C@LAg
according to Miller, AT-J has only around 30 lines of dialogue in the whole movie.
agdoc2001
AG
TCTTS said:

One of the greatest characters of the last 20 years? Huh.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm a little confused by all of this random Furiosa hype as the greatest character ever but maybe I just didn't get into the first movie that much.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I really don't want to start a whole thing here, but she was a badass female character that defied traditional Mary Sue tropes, so she was universally liked in an amazing action movie. I could totally see a Twitter reviewer equating the two unabashedly.
Sea Speed
AG
The last 5 posts are literally the first time I have ever seen someone mention that furiousa was one of the best characters in the last 20 years. Seems like revisionist history and hype.
Faustus
C@LAg said:

according to Miller, AT-J has only around 30 lines of dialogue in the whole movie.
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/anya-taylor-joy-furiosa-set-not-speaking-1236000553/

Quote:

In a new profile of "Furiosa" director George Miller published by The Telegraph, it's revealed that Anya Taylor-Joy's eponymous character only has around 30 lines of dialogue in the upcoming "Mad Max: Fury Road" prequel movie. That shouldn't come as much of a surprise to fans of the road warrior franchise, as Tom Hardy and Mel Gibson barely had much to say in Miller's previous "Mad Max" movies.
. . .
In an interview with The New York Times, Taylor-Joy said she would go "months" on the movie's set without speaking a single line of dialogue. She added: "I've never been more alone than making that movie. I don't want to go too deep into it, but everything that I thought was going to be easy was hard."
. . .
One thing Taylor-Joy did make abundantly clear was that Furiosa needed a moment of female rage on screen, even if Miller was focused on making her as internal as possible on screen.

"I do want to 100 percent preface this by saying I love George and if you're going to do something like this, you want to be in the hands of someone like George Miller," Taylor-Joy said. "But he had a very, very strict idea of what Furiosa's war face looked like, and that only allowed me my eyes for a large portion of the movie. It was very much 'mouth closed, no emotion, speak with your eyes.' That's it, that's all you have."

"I am a really strong advocate of female rage," Taylor-Joy added, noting she's grown somewhat tired of female characters in movies often enduring hardships and only getting to shed a single tear.
. . .
"We're animals, and there's a point where somebody just snaps," Taylor-Joy explained. "There's one scream in that movie, and I am not joking when I tell you that I fought for that scream for three months."

"With George, it's a long game," Taylor-Joy added.

Taylor-Joy stressed that whenever she had a note about Furiosa, she made sure that it was always a "conversation" with Miller and "I was never insolent in any way…at the end of the day, this is his vision. I can present everything that I have, but his word goes."

https://parkridgeclassicfilm.com/2023/03/17/the-road-warrior-1981-at-the-pickwick-theatre/
Quote:

. . .
The dialogue would be done in a minimalist fashion. In fact, save for the opening narration which establishes the hero legend the first sequence in the film is all done without any spoken lines. Mel Gibson only has sixteen lines of dialogue in the entire film. Instead, George Miller opted to tell his story using film language.
. . .
Google tells me that it's actually more than that (despite lots of hits on 16 lines):

https://www.mutedhorn.net/mad-max-2-dialogue
Quote:

. . . By my count, Gibson's Max has 38 speeches (totalling 326 words) in the film. This is not counting grunts, wordless shouts, or the little tongue-click he uses to sic his dog on the Gyro Captain.

Regardless Miller isn't one to let his characters whinge on too much.

TCTTS
AG
tommyjohn

Just got a 7-min standing ovation at Cannes.

At this point I think Medellin is the only movie that didn't receive a similar reception at Cannes

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They gave the last Indy an ovation, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.