****The Tortured Poets Department-Taylor Swift***^

19,772 Views | 289 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by Aggie Therapist
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a big Swiftie and my wife is pregnant with our third kid.
nai06
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Wondering how many heterosexual males are on this thread.

Probably a lot who knows that ones choice in music has no bearing on their sexuality .
BadMoonRisin
AG
I didnt read any of this. Are you saying her music sucks? because thats the conclusion I came to by listening to her music.
Cliff.Booth
It's worth your 1 minute read. It'll make you hungry, though.
BadMoonRisin
AG
BQRyno said:

Question for the fans - why do you think she's done the additional drop after the album drop twice now? It looks like a money grab and a slap in the face to fans who preorder, but I'm truly curious if there's another reason.
I dont know anything about the recording industry, but this is quite common.

You drop the album, if the streaming numbers aren't what you forecasted, you drop an extended or deluxe version, with a few more songs. It happens a LOT.

Im not sure about a 2am drop after the album released at midnight just 2 hours before, but usually if your album is not getting the numbers you expect, further drops are common.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Haven't read the thread.
With that in mind, I don't listen to Taylor Swift.
I do however have 15 and 12 year old daughter who are big T. Swift fans.
We started listening to the album on the way to school yesterday morning and finished it yesterday evening.

I thought it was not good. Even my 15 year old looked at me and said "this is bad".
Clearly she's made some good music to get where she is today, at least a guy my age would assume.
All I heard was subdued, electronic, mood music and some TERRIBLE effing lyrics.
I mean, like really bad.
I don't see how this could be considered anything but a miss.
Aggie Therapist
AG
I would say everyone with teenage daughters and up, you missed out on growing up with Taylor and don't feel her as your Miss Americana.

I was born the same year as Taylor Swift in 1989. It was fun to follow her in high school, college and now in 2024.

Lot of middle aged men and boomers in here upset because they can't understand Taylor Swift.
20ag07
Guess what- we all know you are obsessed with TS.

Doesn't mean other people can't disagree on the album.

There is no way you are a therapist, or you wouldn't get so worked up anytime someone says they don't like an album that you do.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I just didn't like a song.
Aggie Therapist
AG
20ag07 said:

Guess what- we all know you are obsessed with TS.

Doesn't mean other people can't disagree on the album.

There is no way you are a therapist, or you wouldn't get so worked up anytime someone says they don't like an album that you do.

I'm a licensed clinical therapist in the state of Texas.

Talking about Taylor Swift on a message board doesn't equate to providing psychotherapy and providing inpatient care.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

I would say everyone with teenage daughters and up, you missed out on growing up with Taylor and don't feel her as your Miss Americana.

I was born the same year as Taylor Swift in 1989. It was fun to follow her in high school, college and now in 2024.

Lot of middle aged men and boomers in here upset because they can't understand Taylor Swift.

"Upset?" That's one of the most incredibly stupid things I've ever read on this site.
If anything, "ambivalent" at WORST would be accurate.
Another Doug
AG
I know this board likes it when TCTTS is wrong, according to the source below this "under hyped" album has the #1, 3 of the top 10, and 5 of the top 12 single day high stream counts in the history of Spotify. If you took out Christmas songs, this album would have 5 of the top 9. It currently holds the top 16 spots on the daily charts.

https://kworb.net/spotify/country/global_daily_totals.html

TCTTS
AG
I never said it wouldn't be popular, numbers-wise. Rather, based on early reactions, I said it was looking like it wasn't going to be one of her better-received albums, critically speaking, and basically that the tide seemed to be turning in regards to her infallibility.

Both of which have turned out to be true, as this album is getting all kinds of sh*t online, certain reviews have been pretty brutal, and I'm seeing an annoyance with Swift in general that I haven't seen in years, re: her lyrics, her attitude, etc.

Even in this thread there are people saying it's one of her more forgettable albums, if not outride one of her worst, and that their own daughters are underwhelmed.

Again, I wasn't rooting for either outcome, nor was I predicting anything. I was merely stating what I was objectively observing pre-release, which has now carried over to a swath of the general public, it seems, post-release.

None of which takes away from it obviously getting massive amounts of play, which anyone and their dog could have guessed.
walton91
TCTTS said:

Both of which have turned out to be true, as this album is getting all kinds of sh*t online, certain reviews have been pretty brutal, and I'm seeing an annoyance with Swift in general that I haven't seen in years, re: her lyrics, her attitude, etc.

This completely jives with the initial reviews from our house
Aggie Therapist
AG
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

Aggie Therapist said:

"Upset?" That's one of the most incredibly stupid things I've ever read on this site.
If anything, "ambivalent" at WORST would be accurate.

Well hopefully I can help guide you through your ambivalence and elicit change talk to bring out the Swiftie you know you are.
Aggie Therapist
AG
We can all agree we can't wait until REP TV
Cliff.Booth

Aggie Therapist
Aggie Therapist
AG
1st world problems
GarlandAg2012
AG
TCTTS said:

I never said it wouldn't be popular, numbers-wise. Rather, based on early reactions, I said it was looking like it wasn't going to be one of her better-received albums, critically speaking, and basically that the tide seemed to be turning in regards to her infallibility.

Even in this thread there are people saying it's one of her more forgettable albums, if not outride one of her worst, and that their own daughters are underwhelmed.

Again, I wasn't rooting for either outcome, nor was I predicting anything. I was merely stating what I was objectively observing pre-release, which has now carried over to a swath of the general public, it seems, post-release.

None of which takes away from it obviously getting massive amounts of play, which anyone and their dog could have guessed.

TTPD is still in the "universal acclaim" category on metacritic. In my little corner of the Internet there is a ton of interest even among non fans and I haven't seen the sort of negative feedback you are talking about. This thread is pretty mixed but it's effing TexAgs. When you're on a website that still has people saying guys who listen to TS must be gay, it's pretty easy for me to ignore that is irrelevant.

I think oversaturation is a risk for her but since the tour this summer is in Europe I think it will let her simmer in the US and then this fall things will ramp and people won't feel as inundated by then.

Infallible is a big word, of course she's fallible. But I definitely don't think this album is derailing her. Maybe if she had worked with different producers and totally reinvented her sound again, TS11 could have been an even bigger hit, but it's setting records as it is. Also, since when is it fair for the expectation to be reinventing herself? I don't think other pop stars are judged in the same way in terms of needing to have a different musical identity every couple albums.
20ag07
Quote:

Also, since when is it fair for the expectation to be reinventing herself? I don't think other pop stars are judged in the same way in terms of needing to have a different musical identity every couple albums.
I mean….she did this to herself. By constantly doing it to create some of the biggest albums of all time.

Folklore and Evermore (consider that one double album) were perfect for their time.

Midnights was an appropriate follow-up.

But this follow-up needed to evolve. Revert back even.

She's shown she wants to be the biggest pop star in the world, by the continual use of the most business-savvy moves on the planet.

So lack of evolution here, and lack of hits, really just feels off.

But the expectations are ones that she created with her history and her machine.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

When you're on a website that still has people saying guys who listen to TS must be gay, it's pretty easy for me to ignore that is irrelevant.

https://instagr.am/p/C4gamxOPWVI

https://instagr.am/p/C5jGt60AiV-
ac04
listening to TS isn't necessarily gay. but being a grown man who spends their weekend online lashing out at anyone who says anything negative about her or this album is unbelievably gay.
nai06
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

I'm a big Swiftie and my wife is pregnant with our third kid.

Clearly gay
Aggie Therapist
AG
ac04 said:

listening to TS isn't necessarily gay. but being a grown man who spends their weekend online lashing out at anyone who says anything negative about her or this album is unbelievably gay.

shade never made anybody less gay…
Cliff.Booth
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Aggie Therapist
AG
Love how the people complaining about the album aren't even Taylor Swift fans.

I'm sorry your daughters forced the Eras Tour on you and you had to watch Taylor Swift at the Super Bowl.

Stop acting like Taylor "'miss the mark" win you have never even followed Taylor until a few months ago.

TCTTS
AG
So only fans can critique an artist's work?

And non-fans can't be familiar with an artist's work or possess more than a surface-level knowledge of an artist's discography?

Also, why do you have so much skin in this game? I've never seen someone come across as so threatened by bad reviews of something, much less a grown ass man defending someone like Swift in this manner.

More power to you if you love her music - I like it too - but giving people so much grief for not connecting with this particular album is kind of weird.
Bruce Almighty
AG
This is just stupid. It's turning into the most over analyzed album of all time.
Cliff.Booth
Bruce Almighty said:

This is just stupid. It's turning into the most over analyzed album of all time.

That's because she's the most over-analyzed musician of all time. She's a marginally talented musician with an unremarkable singing voice who writes catchy hooks about dating ******bags and how hard it is being a rich white girl. I don't mind people enjoying her music, especially when it is 12-25 year old girls who haven't been exposed to actually good music and don't really understand music, but people not realizing she's a manufactured industry plant makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. She's 34 but looks and writes like she's in (community) college, I'm hoping that nearing 40 she'll finally hit the age where young listeners are finally like...why is this mom singing about this stuff.
BQRyno
AG
TCTTS said:

Also, why do you have so much skin in this game? I've never seen someone come across as so threatened by bad reviews of something...

Just had to pause for a moment and enjoy the irony despite agreeing in this particular case.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I knew that was coming. The difference is, I'm either asking people to give something a chance before it releases, or defending my *own* opinion after it releases. Rarely do I go after others, with nothing of substance, or defend without actually articulating my stance in detail.
TXCityAggie
AG
It's really odd to me how many people, who claim to not be fans of TS, come to this thread just to talk **** about her. The thread title was pretty clear. Critiquing the album is one thing, but many of you just came on here to bash her personally. You're probably the same dudes who sat in your living room and screamed at the t.v. when she popped on the screen for 10 seconds during NFL games.

As for the album, it's not her best but there are some good songs there. The idea that it's complete trash is nonsense. People are just jumping at an opportunity to slam the woman.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.