****The Tortured Poets Department-Taylor Swift***^

19,212 Views | 289 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Aggie Therapist
Cliff.Booth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok...and that has to do with where this thread was going how?
Sea Speed
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Ok...and that has to do with where this thread was going how?

It doesn't whatsoever, but Metallica will have more staying power through time than Taylor swift so now we can bring it full circle.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Not sure I've seen that specifically, why?

Believe he broke down the most recent single release from Metallica and talked briefly about some of their other recent albums, my memory is hazy though. He's definitely talked about the compressed sound issue of Death Magnetic before, just can't recall the exact video with it.
Cliff.Booth
This thread has me continually wondering if Therapist is trolling or maybe doing shrooms. I don't know where the Metallica thing came from. They had some early badass records and a lot of hit and miss ones later on...which is true more often than not of rock/metal acts.

Beato's thing about picking an appropriate chord if she's going to feign depression made me chuckle.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

Not sure I've seen that specifically, why?

He's just trying to validate his manliness by bringing up Metallica, Powerman and his infantry experience.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Ah yes. I remember my driver splicing the comms in our Bradley and blasting 1989 as we navigated our way through the box at JMRC in Germany.

Nothing beats being behind a 25MM bushmaster chain gun and listening to Blank Space.
62strat
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

I feel like Metallica's 1980s arrangements were so much more complex. For being that young, their acoustic work and melodies were iconic….to this day.

Insert Bob Rock and a flashy black album, I feel like they were never the same. Load and beyond were not the same. I did enjoy a song or two from each album after. But the first four albums were AMAZING.

They did something that beato complains swift didn't; try something new, explore, experiment. The whole world was listening to them after black album, and they had the guts to do what they wanted, and not what the millions of fans were assuming they would do.

Mama said is about as good as a country song gets.
Bleeding me and outlaw torn are bluesy southern rock epic masterpieces. Low man's lyrics is beautiful song and melody writing. Metallica proved with these albums that they can do a lot more than play at fast tempos and harmonize guitars. They didn't hit the easy button and churn out black album #2, or for that matter, 80s metallica part 2.

Also, 90s Metallica is top tier production, and beato is a producer after all. Most people couldn't recognize the great songs in those albums because they were too caught up in the haircuts, artwork and eyeliner.

Aggie Therapist
AG
I may try and take a deep dive this summer and give those albums a second chance.

I recognize the mixing and production quality is great because they had the funds to do so at that point.

summer sanitarium
62strat
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

I may try and take a deep dive this summer and give those albums a second chance.

I recognize the mixing and production quality is great because they had the funds to do so at that point.

summer sanitarium
like millions of others, I discovered them in 91/92 with the black album. So with load and reload I didn't have these expectations like maybe some fans that had been with them for 2-3 albums. So I liked most of those two albums. A couple duds sure, but maybe unlike a lot of purists metalheads, I love melody and the softer/pretty side of metal, and those albums are packed full of it.

The 30th deluxe albums releases are underway and I hope they bring back a lot of those songs live over the next few years. Those albums are very underrepresented live, as nearly all other albums are 100%. Glad I saw them on those mid to late 90s runs where they played them.

Only two songs have been introduced live since after the 90s tours; Fixxxer at 40th shows which I saw, and carpe diem at their 30th shows.

Still 9 left that haven't been played, including better than you which is what got them the Grammy lol.

Always really liked where the wild things are. Chock full of beatle-esque, even AIC-ish haunting vocal harmonies
Aggie Therapist
AG
Lot of external influence from my father. He bought the cassettes in 1983 and started going to their concerts from then on.

He really hated every album after the black album so I never heard it really until I became of age to listen to load and reload. But I did enjoy S&M.

I think everything deserves a revisit

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.