Outdoors
Sponsored by

ChiCom Invasion of my Property

4,488 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Gunny456
Aggie Infantry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My younger brother's oldest son has been working in Communist China for the past 8 years. Met a girl and has returned to Texas to marry her.

The nephew called me yesterday and asked if the bride-to-be, her sister, and brother could come out to my place to shoot guns - you know - since they can't do that in Communist China. Releases of Liability will be signed!

Insert "What? Me Worry?" gif here...
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Do her right and ensure she starts off on a tannerite filled target set on top of a gallon jug of gasoline.
bowhuntr
Think of it as a psychological operation against their population. Make them enjoy Texas, guns, outdoors, freedom so much they spread the word about how awful life is under the CCP.
confucius_ag
AG
But don't give them any bbq---they won't leave..
AggieT
AG
confucius_ag said:

Username checks out.
Mas89
AG
My 19 year old had better not see this. What kind of a container for the gasoline?
Independence H-D
Mas89 said:

My 19 year old had better not see this. What kind of a container for the gasoline?

Milk jug works fine.
retiredintx
AG
Try your mother in laws car …. It holds plenty of gas.
cupofjoe04
AG
Serious question- because I ain't a lawyer and have a curious mind-

Would a release of liability do any actual good in a situation like this? It's not like this is a public facility or these are complete strangers (they are guests of family).

So, if there was something negligent to happen, I wouldn't think a simple release of liability would prevent the owner from litigation if they were at fault.
If an accident happens and there is no negligence/fault of the owner, I wouldn't think a release would offer them any additional protection than a good defense would achieve. And a signed release doesn't prevent a suit, correct? So you could still need to defend yourself even with a release.

Maybe I'm super off, which is why I am asking those who actually know.

In any case- OP, I hope you are able to show them a hospitable, safe, and fun time as you expand your family. What a blessing that is!!!!
lazuras_dc
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Would a release of liability do any actual good in a situation like this? It's not like this is a public facility or these are complete strangers (they are guests of family).

So, if there was something negligent to happen, I wouldn't think a simple release of liability would prevent the owner from litigation if they were at fault.
If an accident happens and there is no negligence/fault of the owner, I wouldn't think a release would offer them any additional protection than a good defense would achieve. And a signed release doesn't prevent a suit, correct? So you could still need to defend yourself even with a release.

In any case- OP, I hope you are able to show them a hospitable, safe, and fun time as you expand your family. What a blessing that is!!!!
Im not attorney either but you can't release gross negligence. But to prove negligence would usually mean that property owner knew there was an unsafe area that he didn't fix and still brought them out there to that. But the liability release should still protect from accidents and inattention: slip and fall type stuff.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Do they know General Tso?
Windy City Ag
AG
Is there a decent shooting range around? Might be an easier option from a liability standpoint.

It is nice treating someone to a good old fashioned redneck can plugging competition.
Build It
AG
Tannerite will make the day.!
dcbowers
AG
confucius_ag said:

Personal experience?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gunny456
AG
First. I am not an attorney and can only expound on our experiences. We did hunts at our ranch. …. pretty much 90% with firearms. I also had guest and friends and family that hunted and shot sporting clays, five stand, and target shooting on our land. We had various law enforcement agencies use our land for training and we hosted CCL classes and had an approved DPS range number certification for those classes.
I searched out an attorney that had a ranch and did some similar activities on his land at that time. He put together a detailed, multi page hold harmless/ release of liability for us. He was very adamant that this was our first line of protection/defense but that we still could be sued and highly suggested that we obtain a firearm use specific policy.
He guided us to obtain a specialized liability policy specifically outlying the firearm use on our property. He also made us aware that the standard homeowner and typical "umbrella" policies would do little in a firearm accident on our property.
I will add that we had examples of companies and agents who told us we would be covered with the standard policies when actually we were not.
The actual policy was very expensive…it involved some specific underwriting….and we let the attorney handle it as he was doing the same on his place… and we trusted him and figured if it was good enough for him it would be good enough for us.
We loved our place and the enjoyment we had sharing it with folks and doing the activities….. but we were greatly relieved when we sold it to not have the liability nor the tremendous expense for the insurance….. we decided, in the end, it just was not worth the worry, expense and risk.

I will caution anyone that is told by their insurance company or agent that they are covered for any firearm related activity on their land to get it in writing from a upper management and authority …and have a knowledgeable attorney in that field to examine it closely.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Delete
Animal Eight 84
AG
Mas89 said:

A big one works best.

Suggest an open top used paint can.
That's what a friend may have told me based on his research at the library.

Skip ahead to 4:00 minute mark on this video.

CS78
My Chinese roommate in College was a great dude. Met up when I saw him reading a copy of shotgun news. Loved guns. He was a US citizen but family was still in China. Haven't talked to him in years but if I were to call now and tell him to bring a shovel, his only question would be where.
maroon barchetta
AggieT said:

confucius_ag said:

Username checks out.
MrWonderful
AG
lazuras_dc said:

cupofjoe04 said:

Im not attorney either but you can't release gross negligence. But to prove negligence would usually mean that property owner knew there was an unsafe area that he didn't fix and still brought them out there to that. But the liability release should still protect from accidents and inattention: slip and fall type stuff.
Also - half the battle is stopping these cases before they start. If someone thinks they have released all liability, then they don't bother picking up the phone to call that atty. Then, regardless of whether you have an actual release or not, you've achieved your objective, which is not to get sued for something that's not your fault.
Build It
AG
https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2015/03/23/texas-landowner-liability-part-iii-recreational-use-statute/

Just don't be grossly negligent. I'm sure you already have a liability policy as described above.

Texas has your back.
BrazosDog02
AG
Oof…this is a super mega hard pass for me until I have a few years of acquantance. Good luck!

We can go to the gun range, or something of the sort, but no thanks on the ranch.
schmellba99
AG
Do some of you wake up in the morning and do nothing but think about liability and what if's all day long?

I've never seen so much wringing of hands over a what if scenario than I have on this board with most every subject.
maroon barchetta
schmellba99 said:

Do some of you wake up in the morning and do nothing but think about liability and what if's all day long?

I've never seen so much wringing of hands over a what if scenario than I have on this board with most every subject.

It's just another form of prepping for the worst.
MrWonderful
AG
schmellba99 said:

Some of us get a front-row seat to the absolute inane things people will sue over. At some point it gets beaten into you
fullback44
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

Do her right and ensure she starts off on a tannerite filled target set on top of a gallon jug of gasoline.

Now this is how it's done … my young nephews love tannerite at Christmas out at the farm
Gunny456
AG
Unless you have ever been on the receiving side of a liability suit you would never understand.
NoahAg
ROR!
Texarkanaag69
AG
lazuras_dc said:

cupofjoe04 said:

Go hire an attorney that handles land practice to advise you on any release. Also, check and make sure you have or can get liability coverage from your insurance agent. Good luck.
justnobody79
the donger need food!
Ag97
AG
Go take that kid out and let him shoot. It's not like you are going to turn him loose unsupervised with an AR15 with a 30 round mag. Start him with a .22 until he is comfortable and let him move up from there. Shoot a watermelon in front of him and tell him the same thing happens to human head to emphasize muzzle control. Let him know if he fires too high and misses the barrier behind the target the bullet can travel further than the Great Wall of China is long and will do the same thing on impact if it happens to hit something.
Shoefly!
AG
confucius_ag said:

Just let the dogs lick the plates clean after they've eaten, then immediately put them back on the shelves and say there all clean now. They'll leave!
Aggieangler93
AG
We took a bunch of guys from India shooting one time for a company outing when I was in software consulting. They had a literal blast and talked about it for months after. We shot pistols, rifles, and shotguns. The suppressed AR was a huge hit. It was an amazing time and their eyes were like saucers for most of it, as well as huge grins. We had 3 or 4 ex military guys in the group and a few others like myself that have been around guns all our life, and we basically had one of us stand next to each of them the whole time they held a gun. Kind of like a chaperone. We had a good safety mtg before we started, and only 1 or 2 people on the firing line at a time. The others got to learn to load mags while they watched!!

It worked out well, and I would do it again. Now, my in-laws are an entirely different matter, being slightly isane. (Look who they let into their family after all, as proof!!!!) I am still dodging taking them shooting, after 30 years. LOL
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Goodest Poster
AG
Guns...sure go ahead.
No way in hell im letting them drive a car tho.
Always the most goodest
91AggieLawyer
AG
lazuras_dc said:

cupofjoe04 said:

Not necessarily true. I'm not going to delve into a full research memo on this, but this article summarizes Texas release case law in general, including that for gross negligence. The Texas Supreme Court did not take this particular case on appeal. I don't know if they have since heard and ruled on a similar case since, according to the article, there is a split among Texas Courts of Appeals on the gross negligence issue. Even then, it isn't clear (as the article suggests) as to whether that split concerns an express statement in the release covering gross negligence or whether, as a matter of policy, releases on gross negligence are out. Each court could be different in that respect, and they could easily change over a short period of time as similar cases come through since they hear any matter appealed that they have jurisdiction of. One would need to hire an attorney to find out for sure.

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2019/01/14/texas-case-offers-good-analysis-of-enforceability-of-liability-release/

I'm not trying to call you out here, but it would be better if non-attorneys did not make definitive statements on the law. Hell, I try hard not to on here and I've been practicing as long or longer than many attorneys on this forum have. I've made some wrong calls, especially without going DEEP into ALL the research or while commenting in areas I haven't had a sound background in. Plus, you never know when one or two facts, no matter how small, might change the analysis of any matter completely.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.