Houston
Sponsored by

HISD School Choice first round of results today

4,006 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Aggiemike96
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No telling when they will actually post the results.
MAROON
AG
what is the first round of school choice? what does it mean?
Texan_Aggie
AG
I think it's where the parents zoned to not-great schools apply to go to great schools. Hasn't this been around for a while?
Furlock Bones
AG
MAROON said:

what is the first round of school choice? what does it mean?
lottery where you apply to specific schools and programs within the district. much of it is trying to get into a better school than you are zoned to. some of it is trying to get into a school that has a program offered that your zoned school does not.

AggieT
AG
It would make sense to do it after schools and offices close so that their phones don't get blown up and kids aren't crying in hallways. So probably not then.

Furlock Bones
AG
AggieT said:

It would make sense to do it after schools and offices close so that their phones don't get blown up and kids aren't crying in hallways. So probably not then.

i figure they have to "fix" the lists for the well connected folks before they send it out to GenPop.
Ciboag96
Furlock Bones said:

AggieT said:

i figure they have to "fix" the lists for the well connected folks before they send it out to GenPop.
****, Democrat elites send their chillrens to Kinkaid and Episcopal.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Furlock Bones said:

AggieT said:

True. But lots of them want their kids to have the "public school experience" in elementary as long as it's at the right school.
Diggity
AG
nah...private school is where you gotta go to prove you can make it through adversity

MAROON
AG
my kids survived the rough hallways of West U Elementary. It was touch and go as apparently one day their afternoon chocolate chip cookie treat was cold.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bingo
Furlock Bones
AG
results out.
rhoswen
AG
I'd be interested to see the % that did not respond.
Diggity
AG
did not respond to an opt in program?
MAS444
AG
So...where's everyone going?
htxag09
AG
MAS444 said:

So...where's everyone going?
The same daycare that he's at now, pay $1500/month, and be "happy" about it
TarponChaser
Diggity said:

nah...private school is where you gotta go to prove you can make it through adversity

Bit of a tangent but there's a not inconsiderable amount of college coaches who see a lot of Texas HS players as soft, entitled, and already reached their peak by the time they get to a college program. The general feeling is that the ubiquitous nature of spread offenses has damaged fundamentals at all positions and the prevalence of Taj Mahal facilities better than a lot of colleges (this is less of an issue now with the college facilities arms race) and because they spend so much time in specialized training programs they've already reached their full potential.

It's a big reason why, unless you're a total stud that's a 4 or 5*, lots of kids are being left out by P5 programs as they hit the transfer portal and kids who are more of a project go to G5 or other mid-majors.
Furlock Bones
AG
Probably Wharton dual language academy unless we find a new place in Twain's zone. We are moving regardless. Our current house is too small. And that's before surprise number 3 shows up. Continuing spanish immersion is high priority for us.
MAS444
AG
Heard mostly good things.
12thMan9
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Probably Wharton dual language academy unless we find a new place in Twain's zone. We are moving regardless. Our current house is too small. And that's before surprise number 3 shows up. Continuing spanish immersion is high priority for us.

Why is Spanish immersion important? Is your kid planning on working on a landscape crew?
Ronnie '88
Furlock Bones
AG
12thMan9 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Why is Spanish immersion important? Is your kid planning on working on a landscape crew?

Are you 12 or 80?

12thMan9
AG
Furlock Bones said:

12thMan9 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Are you 12 or 80

Doesn't change the question.
Ronnie '88
WES2006AG
AG
12thMan9 said:

Furlock Bones said:

First day in Houston?
Sea Speed
AG
WES2006AG said:

12thMan9 said:

Furlock Bones said:

First day in America?

Fify
12thMan9
AG
What is the name of your landscaping company? You should check Wharton academy for Career Day.
Ronnie '88
Furlock Bones
AG
You truly are a moron.
Flashdiaz
AG
way to double-down on a stupid joke.
12thMan9
AG
Furlock Bones said:

You truly are a moron.
I'm not the dumbass immersing my kids in Spanish in the USA.
Ronnie '88
BMX Bandit
12thMan9 said:

Furlock Bones said:

You truly are a moron.
I'm not the dumbass immersing my kids in Spanish in the USA.
plan to stay in texas? then you are whether you want to or not.
Carmine Scarpacio
Ciboag96 said:

Furlock Bones said:

AggieT said:

My son is at EHS. Parents are overall pretty conservative.

Kinkaid has turned into a ****hole.
Aggiemike96
AG
Youngest is at spot #74 on the Carnegie waitlist. Guess we'll see. Anyone knowledgable of how much this waitlist will move?
TexAg2001
AG
My youngest got into HSPVA for Classical Piano. Their entire piano program is capped at 24 students, which means we think they take around 7-8 new freshman every year. Honestly, we felt like it was a long shot, but she worked hard and we're ecstatic she passed the auditions and was accepted.

My kids have all attended private schools, so public will be new for us, but my wife works at an HISD elementary school so she kind of knows the system.

She was offered scholarships from 2 of the all-girls Catholic Schools, so that made decision harder, but she always had HSPVA ranked as her top choice.

Thankfully, a couple of her friends also got in to some other programs at HSPVA, so she'll have a familiar face or 2.
rhoswen
AG
Why *wouldn't* you want your kid to be bilingual?
Furlock Bones
AG
Based on what I have heard, that's probably too high to have a real chance.
Aggiemike96
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.