Last night my 2012 Mustang was driven into a foot of water and engine died

3,878 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by Alte Schule
Alte Schule
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2012 Mustang GT Premium 6 speed 5.0 convertible. 21K miles.

Have lived in this house for 30 + years and that low water crossing WAS a pain in the ass for twenty of those years. About 10 years ago the city (CS) put about 2 million dollars into drainage and we haven't had any issues until last night.

Grandson (21) drove my car to work and at 10 PM was on the way back and ran into a foot or a little more of pooled water about 100 ft from the low water crossing. Grandson crawled out the passenger window where the water was lower and never opened the door. Car was in the water for about an hour. My son and grandson pushed it out to a high spot and we dealt with it this morning. My son has a push guard on his work SUV and got it to my house at noon.

Weather Tec mats caught a lot of it but the carpet is soaked front and back. Wife and grandson have the shop vac on it now. Imagine that will have to be redone a few times. Radio, windows and power top work. Haven't tried to start it. The trunk is OK. Will have it towed to Brazos Valley Automotive after I talk to the insurance carrier.

So what am I looking at or need to be aware of as far as the engine, brakes, etc. goes. I'm an old dude, partially handicapped and it's been a long time since I dealt with something like this. Open to suggestions and comments.

I want to add that yesterday was a really bad day for me. Got up and my coffee pot was dead, around 9 PM found the back side of the house was partially flooded (wood floors) after I slipped and fell, then the car and I stepped in dog crap with bare feet. F****ng awesome. I'm in chill mode now.

Yesterday
AG
Tough day! I'd see if insurance will total it. It's not the end of the world but water gremlins can pop up down the road.
Trinity Ag
S
Edited -- the title says the car stalled when it hit the water.

First thing I would do is pull the air filter and see if it is wet, and check the air intake -- if is sucked in water it could be bad. But the intake on a mustang is pretty high, so that is probably unlikely from a foot of water.

Main concern I would have is corrosion on electrical connections. Open everything up, let it dry in the sun. check for water in the fuse box, and see what happens.

Pull the coils, see if they are wet -- dry them off. Towel down everything and blow out with compressed air.

Check the battery. When everything is dry, try to start it.

If nothing is wonky with the electronics, I would change the air filter, change the oil, and drive it.
Alte Schule
Trinity Ag said:

First thing I would do is pull the air filter and see if it is wet, and check the air intake -- if is sucked in water it could be bad. But the intake on a mustang is pretty high, so that is probably unlikely from a foot of water.

Main concern I would have is corrosion on electrical connections. Open everything up, let it dry in the sun. check for water in the fuse box, and see what happens.

Pull the coils, see if they are wet -- dry them off. Towel down everything and blow out with compressed air.

If nothing is wonky with the electronics, I would change the air filter, change the oil, and drive it.
Checked the battery and fuse box earlier. All dry, Did not think about the air filter. Just pulled it and it's soaked. Not physically able to pull coils but outside is dry. Radio, windows and power top work. Son says water was just above mid wheel. So pretty much screwed eh?
HumpitPuryear
AG
Doesn't sound that bad to me. maybe take the air plenum off at the intake on the back side of the MAP or MAF and see if you can see any water. Pull the dipstick and see if you get any water or odd colored oil. If water was below the bottom of the dash than your electronics are probably fine. Are the seats soggy? Might have got water into the seat electronics. That's probably the lowest electronic components in the car that are not supposed to get wet.
Alte Schule
HumpitPuryear said:

Doesn't sound that bad to me. maybe take the air plenum off at the intake on the back side of the MAP or MAF and see if you can see any water. Pull the dipstick and see if you get any water or odd colored oil. If water was below the bottom of the dash than your electronics are probably fine. Are the seats soggy? Might have got water into the seat electronics. That's probably the lowest electronic components in the car that are not supposed to get wet.
Power seats work. Changed oil about 600 miles ago. Pulled dip stick and did not see any water. When I had my '09 GT 500 I changed my MAF a couple of times. Physically unable to do that now. I can't stand for more than a minute or two and bending over is not something I do well.
Trinity Ag
S
Alte Schule said:

Trinity Ag said:

Checked the battery and fuse box earlier. All dry, Did not think about the air filter. Just pulled it and it's soaked. Not physically able to pull coils but outside is dry. Radio, windows and power top work. Son says water was just above mid wheel. So pretty much screwed eh?
Could be -- if enough water got through the filter to hydrolock the motor.

No water in the oil is a good sign. Next step would be to pull the plugs and try to turn it by hand.

But it sounds like the kind of effort it would take to find out would be tough, so probably best to let the mechanic diagnose and hope for the best.

Might be worth drying out the air box and intake, replacing the air filter, and trying to start it. Also, use some MAF cleaner spray.

Best case would be the wet filter just starved the motor for air and it stalled/flooded.

Probably can't hurt too much more -- If it hydrolocked, it is probably as screwed as can be
Alte Schule
Trinity Ag said:

Alte Schule said:

Trinity Ag said:

Could be -- if enough water got through the filter to hydrolock the motor.

No water in the oil is a good sign. Next step would be to pull the plugs and try to turn it by hand.

But it sounds like the kind of effort it would take to find out would be tough, so probably best to let the mechanic diagnose and hope for the best.

Might be worth drying it out, replacing the air filter, and trying to start it. Best case would be the wet filter just starved the motor for air and it stalled/flooded.

Probably can't hurt too much more -- If it hydrolocked, it is probably as screwed as can be
Have had the hood open for the last three hours in the sun. Other than about a table spoon of water around the air filter housing I did not see any water on the engine. If ya'll think it is OK I'll try and start it later tonight.
Trinity Ag
S
MAF spray may help if it is running rough.

Crossing fingers for you.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Nah, just to be safe you need to sell it. I'll give you $1500.

GT500 owner here too. 2013 convertible.
Alte Schule
Although the dip stick does not show water or discolored oil should I worry about water in the pan?

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I'll post something on how it all works out.
cledus6150
AG
I'd probably change it just to be safe, but I'm no expert!
zooguy96
I hope it turns out ok for you. I just had to replace a transmission, clutch, and flywheel on a 2016 I had just paid off … so I feel your pain.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
aggiedata
AG
Did the grandson try to restart it once it died?
Alte Schule
aggiedata said:

Did the grandson try to restart it once it died?
I believe so. Insurance adjuster will be here tomorrow so I'll put off what I was planning to do this evening until i see what they have to say.
aggiepaintrain
AG
let them total it, ask them to "retain the salvage" keep the car and get a check for ACV less salvage value and see what it needs.

Unfortunately a 2012 with that many miles won't have very many comps.
Look at bringatrailer SOLD listings and carsandbids

Alte Schule
aggiepaintrain said:

let them total it, ask them to "retain the salvage" keep the car and get a check for ACV less salvage value and see what it needs.

Unfortunately a 2012 with that many miles won't have very many comps.
Look at bringatrailer SOLD listings and carsandbids

I thought 21 thousand miles would be considered low mileage.
aggiepaintrain
AG
it is very low mileage but the adjuster may try to low ball you , so you need to do your homework on value
Alte Schule
aggiepaintrain said:

it is very low mileage but the adjuster may try to low ball you , so you need to do your homework on value

Thanks. Yeah, I've gone to several auction sites. Bring a Trailer, Cars & Bids and a couple of others. Average was around 17k - 19K.
Trinity Ag
S
How did it go with the adjustor?
maroon barchetta
Trinity Ag said:

Alte Schule
Trinity Ag said:

Insurance told me yesterday 3-7 days before the adjuster can come out. Evidently I'm not the only one locally with this problem. Never had a claim with them in 45 years. Got an email from them an hour ago wanting photos from all four corners, mileage and manufacture plate. Did that. Insurance now arranged tow (24 to 48 Hrs) to shop. I'm retired, have another vehicle and have family nearby. So the process is moving along. Like Tom Petty said "waiting is the hardest part". Will post when I hear something. Thank you and all TexAgs that responded!

House was also partially flooded. two bedrooms, hallway both bathrooms and about three feet into my living room so also dealing with that and my wife of fifty plus years being stressed by everything. When it rains it pours you know.

Alte Schule
Insurance totaled it but I haven't been provided an estimate yet. They provided me with a phone number to contact for a tow service to have it towed to Houston. I haven't contacted them yet. The shop quoted 11K for a new motor.

I'm over 70 and in 50 plus years of driving I had one accident when I was 20. I hit a cow and totaled my new Mazda RX2 with Wankel rotary. Farmers just cut me a check for $20 more than I paid for it. So basically I've never dealt with this before.

Searching for a true value on line has been frustrating. I can match the vehicle but they all had way more miles than the 21,500 that mine has. The closest I found was a '13 with 25K miles for $23 thousand. A friend of a friend works at a bank and she said they would value it at $17,600 and KBB same thing. I expect them to low ball me so any thoughts, suggestions, strategies or questions would be appreciated.

Silvy
AG
Find your own comps and keep them in pocket. I was doing a nationwide search on Autotrader to find comps to my truck when it was stolen

Provide insurance with any and all receipts of parts or maintenance performed and then wait to see what they offer. You may be surprised
aggiepaintrain
AG
automatic but in the ballpark

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-ford-mustang-gt-convertible-2/
Mas89
AG
You could change all of the fluids and keep it instead of having it totaled. If someone in the family wants it.
Trinity Ag
S
Mas89 said:

You could change all of the fluids and keep it instead of having it totaled. If someone in the family wants it.
I assume the motor is hydrolocked if the insurance company totaled it.

A DIY teardown and rebuild is the only possible option to come out ahead on this deal.

Even used motors for GTs are expensive, and the labor will put you in a hole -- all to have a common vehicle with a non-original engine of questionable history in a car that is prone to being flogged by young make drivers.

I would haggle hard with insurance, and then try not to stress about it. Hope all of the other flood related issues get sorted.
Alte Schule
Trinity Ag said:

Mas89 said:

I assume the motor is hydrolocked if the insurance company totaled it.

A DIY teardown and rebuild is the only possible option to come out ahead on this deal.

Even used motors for GTs are expensive, and the labor will put you in a hole -- all to have a common vehicle with a non-original engine of questionable history in a car that is prone to being flogged by young make drivers.

I would haggle hard with insurance, and then try not to stress about it. Hope all of the other flood related issues get sorted.
Yes sir hydrolocked. I was thinking last night that the best course of action is what you suggest. Just waiting to have the car towed and see what "offer" the insurance company comes back with. My home for the past 31 years is my priority. Cars can be replaced.

Thank you all for your responses to my tale of woe, I'll post something whenever this all plays out.
JP76
Did you try to start it after it dried out ?

HumpitPuryear
AG
I would definitely have a mechanic look at it and try to start it. It's a much different calculus if it starts. If this was a hardtop I might be interested in taking on a project but I already have a 2013 Shelby ragtop. I will be very interested to hear what insurance offers. Be sure to get the payoff option from them or whatever they call it where you keep ownership plus a cash payment. Sorry about your house.
Alte Schule
JP76 said:

Did you try to start it after it dried out ?

No sir, I knew better than to try that although I thought about it.
Alte Schule
HumpitPuryear said:

I would definitely have a mechanic look at it and try to start it. It's a much different calculus if it starts. If this was a hardtop I might be interested in taking on a project but I already have a 2013 Shelby ragtop. I will be very interested to hear what insurance offers. Be sure to get the payoff option from them or whatever they call it where you keep ownership plus a cash payment. Sorry about your house.
Shop tore the engine down far enough to see the bottom half was flooded and a rod was bent. Now I just want to get a fair pay out and be done with it. I'm going to wait until the repairs are done on my house before I start looking for something else. I'm in no hurry.
The Fife
Keep it, and sell to someone who wants to do a manual swap?
Alte Schule
Well good news for a change. The first offer from the insurance company was $24,500 which is $2,500 more than I paid for it a little over two years ago. That number is after my deductible. So I'm pleased. Still working on the numbers for my house.

Col. Steve Austin
AG
Alte Schule said:

Well good news for a change. The first offer from the insurance company was $24,500 which is $2,500 more than I paid for it a little over two years ago. That number is after my deductible. So I'm pleased. Still working on the numbers for my house.

Nice!
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.