What are Your Favorite Movie Battle Scenes?

3,290 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Rabid Cougar
Tanker123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like this Mongol battle. The uniforms are superb. The Hu - Wolf Totem + Mongol Empire (Mongolian Throat Singing) (youtube.com)

The various posts are like trailers to movies I want to watch.
p_bubel
ABATTBQ87
AG
Parachute Sequence from 'A Bridge Too Far'

BQ_90
AG
Smeghead4761
The bank shootout from Heat

LMCane
Seriously may be the single best war movie of all time.

STALINGRAD
1993 German production

Danger Mouse
AG
Stalingrad
Saving Private Ryan
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Tanker123
LMCane said:

Seriously may be the single best war movie of all time.

STALINGRAD
1993 German production

What happened in Stalingrad influenced how I looked at the battle for Bakhmut. The major lessons from Stalingrad were applicable to Bakhmut.
BQ78
AG
The chain shot bombardment in the second season of The Borgias was pretty good. Some of it is in this video, can't find it discreet.

Cen-Tex
AG
The Revenant…Indian attack

jwoodmd
The attack on the machine gun nest in Saving Private Ryan

Tanker123
p_bubel said:

It is said Hanibal could not attack and defeat Rome because he did not have the necessary siege weapons.
74OA
AG
"Zulu" final battle scene of many.

74OA
AG
"Wind and the Lion" initial battle scene of many.

74OA
AG
"Horse Soldiers" one of many scenes.

74OA
AG
"The Eagle" end of the opening battle scene.

74OA
AG
"Last of the Mohicans" one of many scenes.

Tanker123
74OA said:

"Last of the Mohicans" one of many scenes.

I have thought about the utility of wearing bright red uniforms in green forests and fields. I spoke with a British MAJ when we were in Iraq. He informed me they wore red coats to hide the blood when the soldiers were shot.
malenurse
AG
Tanker123
malenurse said:

There was a small team of female Royal Navy Sailors who were instrumental in developing Atlantic convoy procedures. They were called the WRENS and were divided into two teams during the table exercises. Essentially, they played the game "Battleship" using real historic data. The teams were partitioned and blind to the actions of the other team. This is how they wargamed it. They were trying to solve how U-Boats were able to infiltrate into the middle of the convoy to fire its torpedoes. One evening they were so intent on solving this problem they worked all night and into the morning hours. They decided the U-Boats were able to infiltrate the convoys by chasing it from behind then submerging as it entered the convoy area of operations. The rear of the convoy was the only part of the convoy that was not monitored by listening devices and sonar.

The story goes that they asked a very high-level person in the war ministry to watch the table exercise in regard to the U-Boats sneaking up to position themselves in the middle of the convoys that same day. The admiral was skeptical and did not expect much and acted impositioned. He sat down and the WRENS wargamed the scenario. He became more interested as the WRENS developed the exercise and culminated with the tactics used by U-Boats to occupy the middle of the convoy. He saw the aha moment and made some calls to change convoy standard operating procedures that day.
ja86
AG
the British wore red coats to hide the blood is a myth, they wore red starting in Cromwell's army because red wool was cheap and available, the tradition lasted until after the boer war
Sapper Redux
ja86 said:

the British wore red coats to hide the blood is a myth, they wore red starting in Cromwell's army because red wool was cheap and available, the tradition lasted until after the boer war

Technically British infantry started wearing read in Ireland under the Tudors. It became universal under the New Model Army. Red was also easier to see amongst the smoke. Exceptionally important for officers during 18th century linear warfare.
Tanker123
Sapper Redux said:

ja86 said:

Technically British infantry started wearing read in Ireland under the Tutors. It became universal under the New Model Army. Red was also easier to see amongst the smoke. Exceptionally important for officers during 18th century linear warfare.
It was said the British marched a good distance wearing the thick red coats to fight at the battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. Water was scarce and many were dehydrated. The British army was not in premium shape to attack well defended Americans.
Agthatbuilds

74OA
AG
Great selections. My problem is I have so many more favorite battle/fighting scenes.

For example, in these movies:

Lawrence of Arabia
We Were Soldiers
In Harm's Way
Master and Commander
Outlaw Josie Wales
Letters From Iwo Jima
Black Hawk Down
The Thin Red Line
Rob Roy
Jeremiah Johnson
Ronin
Last Samurai
The Lighthorsemen
Tanker123
74OA said:

Great selections. My problem choosing is I have so many more favorite battle/fighting scenes.

Lawrence of Arabia
We Were Soldiers
In Harm's Way
Master and Commander
Outlaw Josie Wales
Letters From Iwo Jima
Black Hawk Down
The Thin Red Line
Rob Roy
Jeremiah Johnson
Ronin
Last Samurai
The Lighthorsemen
I like the opening battle scene from Gladiator.
74OA
AG
Tanker123 said:

74OA said:

Great selections. My problem choosing is I have so many more favorite battle/fighting scenes.

Lawrence of Arabia
We Were Soldiers
In Harm's Way
Master and Commander
Outlaw Josie Wales
Letters From Iwo Jima
Black Hawk Down
The Thin Red Line
Rob Roy
Jeremiah Johnson
Ronin
Last Samurai
The Lighthorsemen
I like the opening battle scene from Gladiator.
Good catch. So many. "Open Range" and "Fury", too.
Bighunter43
AG
Great topic!! Hard to pick a favorite…..just a few worth mentioning:
OK Corral in Tombstone.
The Patriot when he rescued his son.
Several scenes from the new Midway.
Gus & Pea fighting off Indians in Lonesome Dove.
The Irish Brigade charging the wall and fighting Cobb's 24th Georgia Regiment (Irish) in God's and Generals (boring movie overall….but the Fredericksburg scenes are good).

However….my personal favorite is the 20th Maine with Chamberlain defending Little Round Top in Gettysburg!! (Might be over dramatized but it gave me goose bumps at the theater!!)

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Tanker123 said:

Sapper Redux said:

ja86 said:

Technically British infantry started wearing read in Ireland under the Tutors. It became universal under the New Model Army. Red was also easier to see amongst the smoke. Exceptionally important for officers during 18th century linear warfare.
It was said the British marched a good distance wearing the thick red coats to fight at the battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812. Water was scarce and many were dehydrated. The British army was not in premium shape to attack well defended Americans.
And they forgot their ladders.
Tanker123
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Tanker123 said:

Sapper Redux said:

ja86 said:

And they forgot their ladders.
Yeah, and they were spent! lol
Aggie1205
AG
It wasn't the uniforms, the plan, the ladders or anything else that caused the battle to go to the Americans. When they started using alligators to fire cannon balls it was over. No one is charging alligators loaded with cannonballs.
Tanker123
Bighunter43 said:

Great topic!! Hard to pick a favorite…..just a few worth mentioning:
OK Corral in Tombstone.
The Patriot when he rescued his son.
Several scenes from the new Midway.
Gus & Pea fighting off Indians in Lonesome Dove.
The Irish Brigade charging the wall and fighting Cobb's 24th Georgia Regiment (Irish) in God's and Generals (boring movie overall….but the Fredericksburg scenes are good).

However….my personal favorite is the 20th Maine with Chamberlain defending Little Round Top in Gettysburg!! (Might be over dramatized but it gave me goose bumps at the theater!!)

He was respected so much that he was promoted to BG and was in the house where Lee surrendered.
BQ78
AG
Chamberlain was not in the McLean Parlor when Lee surrendered, he was with his division on the battle line.

But he did accept the surrender of the Confederate troops the next day when they stacked arms. Chamberlain's record of that day in his memoirs is highly romanticized and led John Gordon to include the same story in his memoirs (but he never spoke of them until Chamberlain's memoirs came out). Those two falsely created legends about the event that are not supported by any other accounts.
jwoodmd
Tanker123 said:

Sapper Redux said:

ja86 said:

The battle was in January 1815 and conditions were rather cold and wet and not as one thinks of hot/humid New Orleans

https://www.nola.com/news/cold-adds-historic-touch-to-battle-of-new-orleans-commemoration/article_e52c8d1f-e994-588c-9edf-ef31b112c099.html

74OA
AG
BQ78 said:

Chamberlain was not in the McLean Parlor when Lee surrendered, he was with his division on the battle line.

But he did accept the surrender of the Confederate troops the next day when they stacked arms. Chamberlain's record of that day in his memoirs is highly romanticized and led John Gordon to include the same story in his memoirs (but he never spoke of them until Chamberlain's memoirs came out). Those two falsely created legends about the event that are not supported by any other accounts.
It was long ago, but Josh was in the parlor. I recall we all hit the bar afterwards and he bought a round.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.