*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

111,737 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieEP said:

Maybe the Spurs can grab Rudy Gobert if he's worn out his wear in Minnesota, I'd be down for us to have les twin tours with Gobert and Wemby.

$38mm this year for 1.4 blocks per game
MookieBlaylock
AG
Pretty sure Duncan could do that for 38 million a season
Ag Natural
AG
That Gobert trade is going to go down as one of the worst in history.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

That Gobert trade is going to go down as one of the worst in history.

Four first round picks
One swap
Walker Kessler (9p/8r/2.3 blocks as a rookie in just 23mpg)
Jarred Vanderbilt and Malik Beasley (flipped for another first and a few seconds)
PatBev (flipped for Talen Horton-Tucker, 22yo)
Leandro Bolmaro (trash)

The TPups ended the season at 42-40 with one starter punching another

It's gonna be up there for sure
Guitarsoup
AG
From Reddit;

Spurs fans filling out playoff brackets.

Durant vs Kawhi.

MookieBlaylock
AG
Wait why do Spurs fans hate Durant?
Obi Wan Ginobili
They don't. Reddit is full of idiots.

Source: Me. I'm the idiot.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't like Durant or Chris Paul. The reasons are numerous and obvious.

Spurs fans as a whole don't like the petty, bitter Suns fanbase.
superunknown
AG
Sun's fans are still bitter about Nash flopping into the scorers table and think that 7sol suns were actually championship material
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

Sun's fans are still bitter about Nash flopping into the scorers table and think that 7sol suns were actually championship material
Nash has even publicly admitted he flopped on that "hip check"

Hey guys, sorry your players broke the well-known rules and received the well-known punishments that were mandatory.

What's always been funny to me is if Nash just took the foul and didn't try to oversell it, Phoenix still probably wins that game and Amare and Diaw never get suspended. But he had to flop and that started the whole problem.

The series didn't go to 7 games. Spurs won in 6, and Manu and Parker destroyed Nash in game 6. Ginobili put up 33points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists and 4 steals off the bench.
superunknown
AG
Exactly. Back in those days I'm not saying Manu and Tony would just flip a switch but damn it sure felt that way
Sher Thing
AG
MookieBlaylock
AG
Was at that game That was insane
Also got to see the clincher on PHX in 2003 when Duncan threw Robinson an Alley oop to clinch

I love PHx
Guitarsoup
AG
https://streamable.com/ttd8vk

Sochan highlights
AggieEP
While mostly I was kidding, Gobert still ranked as the 7th best defensive player in the league this year. If the Twolves wanted to straight salary dump and we could grab a pick for eating the salary, he fits the team fine.

Especially if you go,

Point Guard...
Vassell/Keldon
Sochan
Wemby
Gobert/Collins

That's a potential lineup that could win games and now you're just trying to find a PG and you have all of your war chest left to do it.

Doubly hilarious if it happens, because as mentioned the Twolves gave up a ton to get him, so if we buy him off the bargain aisle it'd be extra painful for them.
Guitarsoup
AG
I want Naz Reid, not Gobert. Gobert would be great if he made half of his salary, but at $41mm? **** no. Gobert makes more than Luka or AD. TPups have about $90mm tied up into Gobert, KAT, SloMo, and McDaniels. They can't match a decent offer for Reid. Reid (6'9, 270, 7'4 wingspan, 23yo) would work perfectly in rotation with Collins and Bassey.
Ag Natural
AG
I don't want Gobert at any salary. He's not a winning player IMO.
DTP02
AG
Guitarsoup said:

https://streamable.com/ttd8vk

Sochan highlights

That's a fun watch. Such a diverse package of highlights.
Guitarsoup
AG
KOC said on The Ringer that ATL's owners are pissed and have given the greenlight to trade anyone, which includes Trae.

With Trae's attitude and lack of defensive ability/effort, I don't know that I want him. But anything that makes Atlanta suck more is good for us.

Also Beal is probably up for grabs. Wizards finished 5 games out of the play-in and they traded away Rui, plus Kristaps and Kuz are UFAs. I want no part of Beal or Kuz, but would roll the dice on Kristaps at the right price, especially if we miss out on Wemby.

Guitarsoup
AG
Since we were talking about Zion recently. From The Athletic:

Pelicans star Zion Williamson doesn't want to return to playing until he "feels like Zion," he said Tuesday on the eve of the team's Play-In Tournament game against the Thunder. Here's what you need to know:
  • Williamson hasn't played since Jan. 2 because of a hamstring strain.
  • He said the main thing holding him back is getting over the mental hurdle of his injury, and that there are times when he still feels hesitation when he makes certain moves.
  • "Physically, I'm fine," Williamson said. "Now, it's just a matter of when I feel like Zion. I know the atmosphere I'd be in based on the playoff experience (from last year)."
  • The Athletic reported last week that Williamson is unlikely to return to action in this week's Play-In Tournament as the team continues to exercise caution with his comeback amid the rehab process.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Pelicans star Zion Williamson doesn't want to return to playing until he "feels like Zion," he said Tuesday on the eve of the team's Play-In Tournament game against the Thunder. Here's what you need to know:
  • He said the main thing holding him back is getting over the mental hurdle of his injury, and that there are times when he still feels hesitation when he makes certain moves.
  • "Physically, I'm fine," Williamson said. "Now, it's just a matter of when I feel like Zion. I know the atmosphere I'd be in based on the playoff experience (from last year)."
  • The Athletic reported last week that Williamson is unlikely to return to action in this week's Play-In Tournament as the team continues to exercise caution with his comeback amid the rehab process.

Sounds like Kawhai.
AggieEP
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sounds like Kawhai.

Remember that taking on Kawhi got Toronto a championship.

Obviously the Spurs are more pieces away than the Raptors were from winning a title, but I don't think you categorically rule out elite talent.

If the price is reasonable, give me Zion. Maybe Pop and the Spurs can find a way to motivate him to lose 25 pounds and keep his body healthy.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Did the Spurs not do exit interviews this year or did I completely miss it?
Obi Wan Ginobili
Enzo The Baker said:

Did the Spurs not do exit interviews this year or did I completely miss it?

The entire season was an exit interview
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-big-board-1-2023-nba-draft/

Now, I don't think LJ has ANY actual sources, but here is his writeup.

His list:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Ausar
5. Brandon Miller

"There's absolutely no way the Spurs draft and keep him," a league source told me when asked about the possibility of San Antonio drafting Brandon Miller. "No way. None."

6. Jarace Walker
7. Taylor Hendricks
8. (Why is he still going, since the Spurs can't have a pick this low?) Cam Whitmore
9. Anthony Black
10. Cason Wallace.

My list would be:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Walker
5. Ausar
6. Black

I think if we land 3 and Scoot goes 2, we trade Miller somewhere to pick up another pick and move down to take Amen, Ausar, Walker, or Black.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

His list:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Ausar
5. Brandon Miller

"There's absolutely no way the Spurs draft and keep him," a league source told me when asked about the possibility of San Antonio drafting Brandon Miller. "No way. None."

6. Jarace Walker
7. Taylor Hendricks
8. (Why is he still going, since the Spurs can't have a pick this low?) Cam Whitmore
9. Anthony Black
10. Cason Wallace.

My list would be:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Walker
5. Ausar
6. Black

I think if we land 3 and Scoot goes 2, we trade Miller somewhere to pick up another pick and move down to take Amen, Ausar, Walker, or Black.

I think even if we land the 2nd pick we need to do our homework and see which teams may be willing to offer us to move up for Scoot/Miller. Especially if we hold the Thompson brothers in that high regard, maybe we find someone picking 4 or 5 that we swap picks and they give us their first round pick the next year as well.
Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

His list:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Ausar
5. Brandon Miller

6. Jarace Walker
7. Taylor Hendricks
9. Anthony Black
10. Cason Wallace.

My list would be:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Walker
5. Ausar
6. Black

I think even if we land the 2nd pick we need to do our homework and see which teams may be willing to offer us to move up for Scoot/Miller. Especially if we hold the Thompson brothers in that high regard, maybe we find someone picking 4 or 5 that we swap picks and they give us their first round pick the next year as well.
The notion that some anonymous source has the Spurs draft board and is leaking it.... is absurd. Not only that, trying to draw a link between Primo and Miller is so dumb. I'm sure there will be due diligence done on Brandon's character. But implying that Primo liking to expose himself somehow diminishes Miller is so stupid. Are we saying ALL Alabama players have character issues now?
LawHall88
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

His list:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Ausar
5. Brandon Miller

6. Jarace Walker
7. Taylor Hendricks
9. Anthony Black
10. Cason Wallace.

My list would be:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Amen
4. Walker
5. Ausar
6. Black

The notion that some anonymous source has the Spurs draft board and is leaking it.... is absurd. Not only that, trying to draw a link between Primo and Miller is so dumb. I'm sure there will be due diligence done on Brandon's character. But implying that Primo liking to expose himself somehow diminishes Miller is so stupid. Are we saying ALL Alabama players have character issues now?

Well, Miller was at murder scene.
AggieEP
I mean... As stated it's not just innuendo about Miller not being a good fit for San Antonio because he was at Alabama, he was at a murder scene and he was the one who delivered the murder weapon.

He may not be legally culpable, but with a top 2-3 pick you are looking for a face of the franchise. The kind of guy that can do Jim's and HEB commercials.

Talented or not Brandon Miller wouldn't be my pick, and if the Spurs do pick him I hope it's just to work a trade with a team that is more willing to take a chance on his talent and nets the Spurs equal value in picks or players.
duck79
AG
Let's just call a spade a spade. Pop can't end the season on a 9 minute rant about gun control and then let the team draft a guy who delivered a gun to a murder scene. It's not going to happen.
MookieBlaylock
AG
How did former Spurs superstar season go with Minneapolis Lakers?
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

The notion that some anonymous source has the Spurs draft board and is leaking it.... is absurd.

Welcome to LJ Ellis and SpursTalk. He was friends with players back in the championship days, but all those guys are long gone. It is ridiculous that he keeps trying to pretend to have sources because the Spurs and Pop in particular are so tight lipped, and also, the guy the has run this website for years. Basically the Mark Passwaters of Spurs coverage.

Quote:

Not only that, trying to draw a link between Primo and Miller is so dumb. I'm sure there will be due diligence done on Brandon's character. But implying that Primo liking to expose himself somehow diminishes Miller is so stupid. Are we saying ALL Alabama players have character issues now?
It isn't about the Alabama link as much as the decision making. As others said, Pop just ranted on gun control and 4 months ago, Miller brought a gun to his friend that was in a petty argument and that gun was used to kill a single mom. Then after that, Miller thought it would be a good idea to mock the situation with his pat down entrance. Just poor decision making after poor decision making.

I think Scoot will be our #2 and if someone wants Miller at 3, we listen to trade options to move down a couple spots and still have a shot at Walker or Thompson. Like trade Charlotte to move from 3 to 5 or 6 them removing the lottery protections.
Sher Thing
AG
For the Spurs it's:

1. Wembanyama
2. Scoot

Don't see it any other way. If they end up with 3+ then things get a little murky but I don't see a scenario where they don't take Scoot 2.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

For the Spurs it's:

1. Wembanyama
2. Scoot

Don't see it any other way. If they end up with 3+ then things get a little murky but I don't see a scenario where they don't take Scoot 2.

Absolutely. Scoot has to be our #2 and I think he is closer to Wemby than many say. He is ambidextrous and finishes well and drives extremely well with both hands and going both sides. He also hit 42% of his mid-range pull ups, which is fantastic. He works very hard on defense, and he has that type of drive in him that you want. I think he is one of those gym rats that shows up in August for training camp with a new skill every year.

I think Amen or Ausar may be 3rd, but I could also see a scenario where we go with Jarace Walker. He was such a difference maker, his shot is developing and he gives you another big with Sochan that can switch. I can see Walker and Sochan both being able to switch out on smaller wings, but also able to play big like Draymond.

People talk about Amen being the better prospect and playmaker, but Ausar actually had more APG while playing fewer minutes. Ausar also has the better shot and defense. Both are about 6'7 200 and Amen is considered more of a PG/SG while Ausar is more of a SG/SF.

Walker is 6'8 240 with a 7'2 wingspan. He passes very well and hit 35% of his threes. He gets a ton of deflections and does a good job blocking shots. Averaged 2.3 "stocks: in 27mpg. Seems to finish well at the basket, shot decent enough for a 19yo (better than Scoot/Amen/Ausar) and is super versatile.

I have Duncanville's Anthony Black as the guy we get if we trade down a bit. I think he is going to be an All-Defense-type guy and a solid PG. I think of him kind of like a Jrue Holliday, only a little taller. Will take more years to develop offensively, but is a very good passer and defender out of the box. Will be able to switch out 1-3 and maybe 4, too, since he is 6'7 with a long wing span. He won't be able to create for himself right away and won't have the extreme athleticism to rely on that Amen/Ausar/Scoot have to create for himself. But would be a perfect fit with Devin and Sochan.

I also think I want Taylor Hendricks over Miller. I think he is a better defender and decision maker and he shot better this year for UCF. Now Hendricks didn't play as high of competition as Miller, but he also wasn't involved in a murder, either. I like him more than Cam Whitmore, too. Hendricks also switched up to guard PGs. I think he could play SF right away and he and Sochan could fit together a lot, despite being similar. Miller might create more for others, but TH has a pretty shot, and I wouldn't mind a legit 6'9 40% catch and shoot guy.

I could see us trading down from 3, just because either Thompson, Walker, Black, or Hendricks would fit us and have a huge upside. I could also see us trading in for a second pick if we do get Wemby, but also want to go after a point like Amen or Black.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

The notion that some anonymous source has the Spurs draft board and is leaking it.... is absurd.

Welcome to LJ Ellis and SpursTalk. He was friends with players back in the championship days, but all those guys are long gone. It is ridiculous that he keeps trying to pretend to have sources because the Spurs and Pop in particular are so tight lipped, and also, the guy the has run this website for years. Basically the Mark Passwaters of Spurs coverage.

Quote:

Not only that, trying to draw a link between Primo and Miller is so dumb. I'm sure there will be due diligence done on Brandon's character. But implying that Primo liking to expose himself somehow diminishes Miller is so stupid. Are we saying ALL Alabama players have character issues now?
It isn't about the Alabama link as much as the decision making. As others said, Pop just ranted on gun control and 4 months ago, Miller brought a gun to his friend that was in a petty argument and that gun was used to kill a single mom. Then after that, Miller thought it would be a good idea to mock the situation with his pat down entrance. Just poor decision making after poor decision making.

I think Scoot will be our #2 and if someone wants Miller at 3, we listen to trade options to move down a couple spots and still have a shot at Walker or Thompson. Like trade Charlotte to move from 3 to 5 or 6 them removing the lottery protections.

I agree with your logic. He's probably not the guy at 3 foe the Spurs. But it has nothing to do with Primo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.