*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

111,749 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by West Texan
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Natural said:

Keldon is also an A+ culture guy. The Spurs know that character and culture are even more important than overall talent. He's a keeper especially under his current deal. I really think he's a high end 6th man in his future.
Exactly. I would love to see us move up to the late 1st to get a guy like Kris Murray from Iowa to be a D&3 guy at SF. Ideally we find a point in some way, but have Murray to start at SF and basically play a more talented Bowen-type role and allow Keldon to come off the bench and be a battering ram of a 6th man.

There are honestly a lot of late 1st, early 2nd guys that interest me.

I think Bilal has moved up to the Lottery, or he would be there for sure.

Kris Murray, Iowa
Jalen Hood-Schifino, Indiana (think he has moved up to late lottery, too)
Noah Clowney, Arkansas - If he can add some muscle, would be a great rim protector next to Wemby to do the dirty work
Oliver Prosper, Marquette (if we think we can fix his shot)
Leonard Miller, GLeague
James, Nnaji, Nigeria (6'11, 250lbs, 7'7 wingspan, ultra athletic)
Brandin Podziemski -Polish Austin Reaves
Sidy Cissoko, France - another defense guy - when did France start learning tough defense and where was that last century?
Andre Jackson, UConn
Marucs Sasser, Houston
Julian Phillips, Tennessee

AggieEP
You should all be jealous, since I'm returning from the middle east on the 22nd, I will have a 34 hour long June the 22nd to celebrate draft day on. If all goes as planned, I'll be back in time to watch the draft on my own couch having already lived a full 24 hour day.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Wembanyama: "When I see the top 10 prospects announced at the draft, and for example the twins Amen and Ausar Thompson, whose profile is similar to Bilal's, I tell myself, very factually, that if these players are announced in the first five picks while playing in a League, Overtime Elite, whose level is light-years away from what we experience here, then Bilal must be at least a top 5. He's taller, at least as athletic, has a bigger wingspan, shoots better..." (Source: L'Equipe)

I wish we could make a trade for Orlando's two picks (6 and 11.) Get Black and Bilal to go with Wemby.
AggieEP
He's just repping his man, trying to get him paid.

That said, Bilal is on my list of guys id love to see the Spurs go get. But it's silly to say he profiles like Amen who is expected to be a lead guard and creator, while Bilal is a wing prospect.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think he is mainly making the comparison due to height and athleticism similarities. Bilal is pretty clearly going to be a D&3 guy, not a playmaker. But if you watch his highlights, he does have some good passing.
FTAG 2000
AG
Happy Father's Day Spurs fans! Four more days...

FTAG 2000
AG
Well, no more Chris Paul talk here
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Was probably cuts him
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Was probably cuts him

This. The wizards have clearly moved into a full on rebuild, they have no use for Chris Paul. I'm curious if they try to see what kind of return they can get on Porzingis now.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Was probably cuts him

Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Was probably cuts him

I don't think a lot of teams want to pay 30mm for Chris Paul when washington has no use for him and probably cuts him anyway. Plus most teams would have to send out money to take him on.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Was probably cuts him

This. The wizards have clearly moved into a full on rebuild, they have no use for Chris Paul. I'm curious if they try to see what kind of return they can get on Porzingis now.
The unicorn is a UFA if he opts out. Their only hope is a S&T if a team like Indiana or Houston don't offer him a contract.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Was probably cuts him

I don't think a lot of teams want to pay 30mm for Chris Paul when washington has no use for him and probably cuts him anyway. Plus most teams would have to send out money to take him on.
Supposedly the Clippers are willing to bring him in.

Eric Gordon's 20mm next year is unguaranteed until 6/28. So him and filler?
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Was probably cuts him

What do oft injured stars Kawhi and Paul George need to help get them over the hump?!? Nearly 40 year old and also oft injured CP3!
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Was probably cuts him

What do oft injured stars Kawhi and Paul George need to help get them over the hump?!? Nearly 40 year old and also oft injured CP3!
FTAG 2000
AG
Will be out of pocket tomorrow so here's three days til' Wemby Day...

West Texan
AG

I think we'll be able to do a lot of similar things with Wemby that Denver does with Jokic. He's not the passing savant that joker is, but he's very capable and he'll be used to initiate a lot of our offense.
West Texan
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE

Draymond an unrestricted free agent. Could be a great fit for us.
Guitarsoup
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Draymond an unrestricted free agent. Could be a great fit for us.
And MD Anderson has a San Antonio location on Wurzbach.
LawHall88
AG
West Texan
AG
LawHall88 said:

To be fair, even if that deal does exist, he isn't gonna say so in a press conference.
superunknown
AG
I too think Draymond would be a good fit in SA. He can train young Sochan in his ways. League gonna hate the Spurs in 2-3 years once Wemby starts to own errybody, let's get the hate going early.
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

I too think Draymond would be a good fit in SA. He can train young Sochan in his ways. League gonna hate the Spurs in 2-3 years once Wemby starts to own errybody, let's get the hate going early.

The Warriors fell apart this year because he beat the **** out of him teammate in practice
Enzo The Baker
AG
I would take a risk on Draymond. He does so much great stuff on the court that I can overlook that. And to be fair, by most accounts, Pool is a jackass.

Edit: Also have the Pop/Keldon connection from the Olympics. He's not gonna do that type of crap in front of Pop.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I would take a risk on Draymond. He does so much great stuff on the court that I can overlook that. And to be fair, by most accounts, Pool is a jackass.

Edit: Also have the Pop/Keldon connection from the Olympics. He's not gonna do that type of crap in front of Pop.
If we were ready to compete in 2024, sure. But he's 33 now and turns 34 before the playoffs. We aren't trying to compete for 24, maybe 25, so we want to bring him in to age out of the league before the win?

Timing doesn't make sense here. I agree he would be the right style center next to Wemby, but he's got too many other issues and is too old for our timeline.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

superunknown said:

The Warriors fell apart this year because he beat the **** out of him teammate in practice

No idea if any of yall are RDC World fans but this video of theirs is one of my faves
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.nba.com/news/how-spurs-laid-the-groundwork-for-2023-nba-draft-to-change-everything
flashplayer
AG
Agree with Guitarsoup on staying away from olds.

Most anyone over the age of 30 wont be right for this team next season or the year after unless Wemby really shows out to be Timmy 2.0. Short of that, throw all the kids in the fire and see who doesn't crash & burn this season.

Keep the cap space powder dry and bring in some vets next year or in '25 if the young guns look ready for prime time. But dont lock up money this year kidding yourself that this team is a contender.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think there are some that could make sense. If Minnesota wanted to dump Mike Conley off for nothing to save money, I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he would be a great veteran to hang around the team for a year (last year on his contract, half guaranteed.)

I'd bring in George Hill on a vet min deal, too.

But giving a guy like Draymond a 3-4y deal? No shot in hell.

Free agents I would have interest in at the right deal:

Combos:
George Hill
Bruce Brown
CoJo

Wings:
Donte DiVincenzo
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Danny Green
Thybulle

Bigs:
Naz Reid
Jock Landale
Kevin Love
Mo Bamba
NBA Champion DeAndre Jordan (I just wanted to type that, I DGAF if we sign him.)
superunknown
AG
Tbh I think Dray stays with the Warriors, maybe some sort of 4/80 type contract that's a paycut but still fat money for a few years that helps the ridic lux tax the Ws are gonna owe. I do want a vet min big though for that Kevin Willis/Tony Massenburg/Udonis Haslem type role, though, someone to smack down anyone getting chippy with Wemby.
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

Tbh I think Dray stays with the Warriors, maybe some sort of 4/80 type contract that's a paycut but still fat money for a few years that helps the ridic lux tax the Ws are gonna owe.

I think he gets 4y, but the 4th is unguaranteed. Steph has 3y left and Klay has 1. Poole and Wiggins have 4y left.

Quote:

I do want a vet min big though for that Kevin Willis/Tony Massenburg/Udonis Haslem type role, though, someone to smack down anyone getting chippy with Wemby.
I agree. I think Zach will be the primary there, but Naz Reid and Jock Landale would be great, too.

Maybe Serge Ibaka has a year left in him? Wemby's dad is Congolese, too.

Dedmon or Robin Lopez (the one that isn't that good) could work.
Ag Natural
AG
Points of fact, a history lesson.

In 1989, the Spurs traded for Terry Cummings and Maurice Cheeks to join David Robinson and Sean Elliott for the their rookie seasons. That season concluded with the 2nd biggest turnaround in NBA history (after Bird's rookie season). Cheeks was then flipped for Rod Strickland in year 2 of the Admiral era. p.s. when Cummings first joined the Spurs he was unreal. His devastating knee injury derailed a possibility of an early Robinson title.

In 1997, the Spurs didn't make any big deals prior to Duncan's rookie season. But they were getting David Robinson and Sean Elliott back from injury. They then went on to have the largest turnaround in NBA history. (35 wins). Then in 1998-99 mid season they traded for Steve Kerr and signed Mario Ellie and Jerome Kersey... and won a chip.

It's a proven method. Adding veterans to supplement your very young star is a tale that has been told in San Antonio. Names like Conley and Green are pretty good but I think the modern era Spurs would believe more in adding veteran role players. We already have McBuckets. I'd love a Seth Curry or Austin Reaves.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Points of fact, a history lesson.

In 1989, the Spurs traded for Terry Cummings and Maurice Cheeks to join David Robinson and Sean Elliott for the their rookie seasons. That season concluded with the 2nd biggest turnaround in NBA history (after Bird's rookie season). Cheeks was then flipped for Rod Strickland in year 2 of the Admiral era. p.s. when Cummings first joined the Spurs he was unreal. His devastating knee injury derailed a possibility of an early Robinson title.

In 1997, the Spurs didn't make any big deals prior to Duncan's rookie season. But they were getting David Robinson and Sean Elliott back from injury. They then went on to have the largest turnaround in NBA history. (35 wins). Then in 1998-99 mid season they traded for Steve Kerr and signed Mario Ellie and Jerome Kersey... and won a chip.

It's a proven method. Adding veterans to supplement your very young star is a tale that has been told in San Antonio. Names like Conley and Green are pretty good but I think the modern era Spurs would believe more in adding veteran role players. We already have McBuckets. I'd love a Seth Curry or Austin Reaves.
Definitely agree with the need of the veterans, especially bringing dogs like in Elie and Kersey.

I would be surprised if McBuckets was still here in 365 days.

You want tough veterans and Mike Conley and Danny Green are pretty good, but you'd love.... Austin Reaves? I don't know if I would consider him a mentally tough, hardened veteran at this point.

If you watched the playoff run by the Nuggets, you'll know why I like Bruce Brown so much. He'd be an elite fit. Getting DonteD from the Warriors would be fantastic, too. Both would add a lot of toughness, defense, shooting and passing to the team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.