phil being phil

6,353 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by 98Ag99Grad
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://apple.news/ARuWjUwkhSA-fn1TJhp9xkg

Quote:

LIV Golf star Phil Mickelson has sent a clear message to the powers that be, when it comes to LIV players and their access into majors: "Fk around and find out."

he can f around with himself; his legacy will be broken professional golf
AggieDruggist89
AG
I like Phil.

The drama he's creating is heckuva lot more entertaining than the TV golf itself.

Go PHIL !!!
Kansas Kid
AggieDruggist89 said:

I like Phil.

The drama he's creating is heckuva lot more entertaining than the TV golf itself.

Go PHIL !!!

Agreed. Guys like Scheffler are amazing golfers but most PGA tour golfers are like him with almost robotic like personalities on the course.
JB93
PGA Tour was greedy and LIV exposed that - now suddenly the PGA has elevated events, bigger purses, more money for the top players, etc. Where'd they find all that cash???

Phil can be a Richard, but turns out he wasn't really wrong.
AgLA06
AG
2wealfth Man said:

https://apple.news/ARuWjUwkhSA-fn1TJhp9xkg

Quote:

LIV Golf star Phil Mickelson has sent a clear message to the powers that be, when it comes to LIV players and their access into majors: "Fk around and find out."

he can f around with himself; his legacy will be broken professional golf
The only thing the PGAT has succeeded at is somehow convincing enough people their prestige protects them from all the problems they created.

That mean ol Phil said the PGAT that was created to work in the best interest of the players was screwing them. And what do you know. He was right after they lied through their teeth for months and months and we still have people carrying water for them. Literally ever action they've taken since LIV was formed were things we were told they couldn't do. At some point any halfway intelligent person would begin to recognize that.

LIV never happens without the failed leadership of the PGAT.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
JB93 said:

PGA Tour was greedy and LIV exposed that - now suddenly the PGA has elevated events, bigger purses, more money for the top players, etc. Where'd they find all that cash???

Most tour players knew he was right, but his methodology to implement change is a huge fail. He took his money and turned himself into a villain against the entity that made him famous.
AustinCountyAg
Funky Winkerbean said:

JB93 said:

Most tour players knew he was right, but his methodology to implement change is a huge fail. He took his money and turned himself into a villain against the entity that made him famous.
Most could argue it was a huge success, for everyone involved.
AgLA06
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

JB93 said:

If I remember correctly it was the PGAT hit piece through their media connections that led to that debacle.

Seeing the pattern?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

JB93 said:

Most could argue it was a huge success, for everyone involved.

Except the game itself.
GIF Reactor
AG
JB93 said:

I require a loan of the moneys

Aggie2
What I don't like about LIV is the Saudis are involved. Just don't trust them. Nor do I trust Greg Norman. Beyond that it's just another professional golf league. I can see it turning out like the National Football League and the American Football League.
AggieDruggist89
AG
NVM
AgLA06
AG
Aggie2 said:

What I don't like about LIV is the Saudis are involved. Just don't trust them. Nor do I trust Greg Norman. Beyond that it's just another professional golf league. I can see it turning out like the National Football League and the American Football League.

But you have no problem with PGAT China or the LPGAT Saudi funding.
aginlakeway
AG
Aggie2 said:

Why don't you trust Greg Norman?
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
CCred92
AG
Aggie2 said:

I Still have not watched a LIV tournament for some reason. But the LIV group may come after you for that
Funky Winkerbean
AG
aginlakeway said:

Aggie2 said:

He's been trying to blow up the PGAT and do this for many years, and his motives have always been self serving.
AgLA06
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

aginlakeway said:

Aggie2 said:

He's been trying to blow up the PGAT and do this for many years, and his motives have always been self serving.
So have the leadership of the PGAT. It's why the players were unhappy.

I think what kills me the most about all of this is just about every argument used by the pro-PGAT against LIV generally applies to the PGAT failed leadership as well. People are just completely ignorant about it.

I don't like that the tour is split, but the words, actions, and deeds of the PGAT in this process have vastly disgusted me much more than the LIV paying players and having a good time.

DannyDuberstein
AG
It's been rehashed a lot, but the PGA players are not united because it is made up of elite players as well as rank and file. It is not as simple as "make players happy" because they want very different things.
AgLA06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

It's been rehashed a lot, but the PGA players are not united because it is made up of elite players as well as rank and file. It is not as simple as "make players happy" because they want very different things.
Anywhere else that's called management. They just failed miserably at it. Every other sport and business entity has the exact same thing. The PGAT didn't just invent the 80/20 rule.

You know what the PGAT has that most other sports don't have? Longevity and a retirement tour with good money as well. But please, tell us again how the PGAT screwed it up because they have Lebron and Colby and D leaguers too!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Every other sport didn't have an endless pit of nationalized oil money thrown at their players, or you'd see the same thing.
JCA1
AG
AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Anywhere else that's called management. They just failed miserably at it. Every other sport and business entity has the exact same thing. The PGAT didn't just invent the 80/20 rule.

You know what the PGAT has that most other sports don't have? Longevity and a retirement tour with good money as well. But please, tell us again how the PGAT screwed it up because they have Lebron and Colby and D leaguers too!

You always make these vague comments. Be specific. Who was unhappy? Why? How many other players agreed with them? Were there other players who wanted the exact opposite? What was the breakdown between the two? How should the Tour have remedied this?
AgLA06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Every other sport didn't have an endless pit of nationalized oil money thrown at their players, or you'd see the same thing.
You telling me the NBA doesn't have European leagues?

I mean look at Soccer. Doesn't appear to be an issue there and the complexity in every way would make them laugh at the PGAT hardships.

I see you've dug in your heels and refuse to want to do anything other than parrot PGAT talking points.
AgLA06
AG
JCA1 said:

AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

You always make these vague comments. Be specific. Who was unhappy? Why? How many other players agreed with them? Were there other players who wanted the exact opposite? What was the breakdown between the two? How should the Tour have remedied this?
Go ask Rory. I'm sure he could tell you. Literally everything they've done the last 2 years were exact things that could and should have been done before LIV was even a thought. Except they lied and said they couldn't.

But I'm sure you'd rather keep to the talking points.
JCA1
AG
AgLA06 said:

JCA1 said:

AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Go ask Rory. I'm sure he could tell you.

But I'm sure you'd rather keep to the talking points.
You're the one making claims. But, as usual, can't even remotely explain them.

If the Tour has done such an awful job and alienated much of its membership, you should be able to easily put me in my place by explaining it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If guys were so unhappy, then comparable amounts of money would have gotten the job of done, no? Instead it took 9 figures bonuses and $25 mill tournaments to get anyone that matters
JCA1
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

If guys were so unhappy, then comparable amounts of money would have gotten the job of done, no? Instead it took 9 figures bonuses and $25 mill tournaments to get anyone that matters

And there's also the fact that, with the possible exception of Phil, hardly any of the guys that left for LIV have indicated that they left because of the way the tour was being run. They all just pretty much admit it was way too much money to pass up.
agsalaska
AG
Was it a huge success? I don't really know. I went from watching probably 20 hours of golf a month to zero in just a couple of years. Until I saw this thread I didn't even know Phil still played. I guess I thought that he retired.

Maybe that's just me. Is it? How are golf ratings right now? Attendance? General interest in pro golf?

Those are real questions because I have no idea.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They have successfully fractured golf and made every non-major week less interesting to fans. If that is success in your book, okay then
JCA1
AG
agsalaska said:

Was it a huge success? I don't really know. I went from watching probably 20 hours of golf a month to zero in just a couple of years. Until I saw this thread I didn't even know Phil still played. I guess I thought that he retired.

Maybe that's just me. Is it? How are golf ratings right now? Attendance? General interest in pro golf?

PGAT is down about 20% in viewership and LIV's numbers are a tiny fraction of that.

Surprisingly, having 2 tours where the players mostly talk about money has crushed golf's viewership. The dip is on par with what the MLB saw after the strike in the mid-90s.
agsalaska
AG
JCA1 said:

agsalaska said:

PGAT is down about 20% in viewership and LIV's numbers are a tiny fraction of that.

Surprisingly, having 2 tours where the players mostly talk about money has crushed golf's viewership. The dip is on par with what the MLB saw after the strike in the mid-90s.
OK. Then how did AustinCountyAg call it a huge success and get six people to agree with him?

What has been successful? That doesn't sound successful.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They have been successful in getting some good players to join LIV because they were willing to spend $3 billion in spite of hardly any fans watching. Some has-beens also successfully plussed up their retirement funds. Thats the success
agsalaska
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

They have been successful in getting some good players to join LIV because they were willing to spend $3 billion in spite of hardly any fans watching. Some has-beens also successfully plussed up their retirement funds. Thats the success
Oh well thats a stupid gauge for success. Sounds like they were personally successful while sending the sport on the path of boxing.
AgLA06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

If only the PGAT had used those billions to solidify their charities, done all the things they've done the last 2 years, and acted in the players interests instead of starting a war with a group that just wanted a developmental league in return similar to PGAT China.

Than none of this would have happened.
DannyDuberstein
AG
agsalaska said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Oh well thats a stupid gauge for success. Sounds like they were personally successful while sending the sport on the path of boxing.

Agree
DannyDuberstein
AG
AgLA06 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

If only the PGAT had used those billions to solidify their charities, done all the things they've done the last 2 years, and acted in the players interests instead of starting a war with a group that just wanted a developmental league in return similar to PGAT China.

Than none of this would have happened.

LOL, this is such fantasy
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.